Whole Foods at Callowhill Relocating (in 2017)

Discussion in 'Fairmount / Spring Garden / Francisville' started by DocAwesome, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Cro Burnham

Cro Burnham Well-Known Member

How does that work?

2. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

The big boxes do use some amazing schemes to reduce property taxes:

For Cities, Big-Box Stores Are Becoming Even More of a Terrible Deal | ILSR.org

And:

Big box stores ringing up property tax discounts | Detroit Free Press

#152 Jayfar, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  3. Cro Burnham

Cro Burnham Well-Known Member

Pretty gross. Have any big boxes been able to pull this off in Philly yet?

Yet another argument, as if we needed one, in favor of a land tax.

This is just such an astoundingly awesome site for a mixed-use residential project, the thought that it could be a suburban use for the next 20 years is so depressing.

What a colossal waste.

Perhaps Darrell Clarke will intervene to get something better for the property. Sike.

4. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

The underground parking lease runs out in 2024 I think, if it's cancelled this site would likely have to be rebuilt

5. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

6. eldondre

fiveomar likes this.
  7. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

"Backers of the Rail Park project running through neighborhoods north of Center City have said they hope to include the sunken section as part of the three-mile-long linear park plan. Crews are expected to complete work on the first phase of the park project — a quarter-mile section of elevated track east of Broad Street — later this spring."

[​IMG]

8. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

The Target in Spring Garden is kind of underutilized compared to the Whole Foods it replaced.

Wish Lowes and Home Depot would come up with similar smaller versions of their stores, which would actually be useful. They could carry most categories and skip things like appliances, lumber, doors/windows, flooring/tile etc. (less frequently needed categories) to save space in the store so that people don't have to trek all the way to South Philly. I like the Ace Hardware in Francisville/Fairmount but it's definitely overpriced.

9. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

I detest the new Whole Food store - the layout is ridiculous. The old store was much better in my view.

10. eldondre

that's the problem with target, it's overpriced relative to the full size targets and has less selection. we use it but buy little there and my wife still likes to go to the one on city ave. a full size target there would be nice though it would require construction (likely putting parking on the roof). agreed about the hardware store. it's nice but there are better hardware stores...even local ones, not just lowe's. still, it's nice to have even if it isn't stanley's.

the new whole foods definitely botched the layout though some of it was driven by the parking garage. since the developer insisted on having two separate parking areas they had to put the WF parking underneath the store. as a result they have all that wasted space in front on a different level. they also didn't build a big enough store relative to the amount of new offerings they added (bar, drinks, coffee bar, and food kiosks). that said, although I hate the layout I do find myself eating at that federal doughnuts and having a beer at the bar. not in love with the variety though. seems like dizengoff and goldie could be one stand, not sure why a place that is owned by the same person can't make both falafel and hummus in the same place.

fiveomar and Titus like this.
  11. Phillyurban8

Phillyurban8 Well-Known Member

The Whole Foods layout is a casualty of its success. It seems cramped because so many more people are in the store than the old location.

That said, the "Targettes," as I like to call them, just aren't right sized. They are too small and yah, the prices are higher.

fiveomar likes this.