What was the RUBA Club; 414 Green Street?

Discussion in 'Fishtown / Northern Liberties / Kensington / Port ' started by Moonraker, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Moonraker

Moonraker Rocket Scientist

What it is today is not what it started as. Today their Web page is Ruba Club

However, another page refers the to being Russian-Ukrainian Boating Association.
    After-hours social club for partiers who can't let the weekend go. – In Short
    What was once a spot for Northern Liberties n'er-do-wells to drink on a Sunday night has become an after-hours destination spot for artists, musicians and drinkers of all stripes. The RUBA's (Russian-Ukrainian Boating Association) out-of the way location and maritime VFW-hall decor give it the feel of a hidden find.
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/ruba-club-...rh_ident=russian_ukranian_boating_association

Makes me wonder if their is a thread to the Russian Navy stationed in Philly when Kemp's Shipyard was building the Czar's fleet.

Any facts will be appreciated.

ZARK likes this.
  2. Moonraker

It appears the real, original name may have been Russian United Beneficial Association.

ZARK likes this.
  3. Moonraker

A local and long time resident forwarded this information. The website for St Andrew Church is informative as well.

RUBA (Russian United Beneficial Association)
    The Russian Beneficial Society (founded 1916) and the Russian Christian Benevolent Association (founded 1913) merged in 1926.
    The Russian Christian Benevolent Association was associated with The Orthodox Russian Church of St. Andrew (now Saint Andrews Russian Orthodox Cathedral) http://www.saintandrewscathedral.org/sob...

There are deeds for the RUBA property from the church dating from 1914.
    This photo is from the 2011 Northern Liberties history exhibit that I put together at the Philadelphia History Museum, and shows various RUBA documents from 1913 on, loaned for the exhibit by the current owner of the RUBA, who knows a lot more about the history of the organization.

RUBA photo.jpg

4. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

that makes sense, having Russian and Ukrainians in the same social club might have made sense at the legendary blue horizon but not a beneficial society

5. ZARK

ZARK Well-Known Member

6. Moonraker

Russian Brotherhood was interesting reading, as the son of a Schuylkill county coal cracker.

With the Carpatho-Rusyns and Lemkos immigrating from mostly the Polish & Slovakian sectors of the Austrian-Hungarian empire, I doubt they had exposure to any Russians; especially from the shooting section of today's eastern Ukraine.

I do not recall ever hearing anti-Russian sentiment from my grandfather's generation (Pre-WWI).
    After WWII the tone of our Third Wave Immigrants was different. Especially with annexation of Western sections (Galicia) into Ukraine SSR.

ZARK likes this.
  7. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Their headquarters at 1733 Spring Garden Street was sold last year. In checking out their website to see where they have moved, the website seems to no longer exist.