What to do with the Spruce Parker

Discussion in 'Architecture and Urban Planning' started by DCnPhilly, Dec 18, 2014.

1. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

*Dear internet, don't bite my head off. This is just a foggy headed idea...

As a regular Gayborhood patron - either the bars at night or the gym at daybreak - I've noticed a growing number of homeless people. That may have something to do with the cold weather. It happens this time of year. But it also may coincide with the closure of the Spruce Parker Hotel. As much as people hated that hotel - yes, some insidious **** went down there - it was also a brief reprieve for some people with nowhere else to go, even if for a night.

But in addition to the seemingly growing number of homeless in Center City are the growing number of homeless veterans panhandling on the streets or subways. Sure, some are scammers, and they'll have their day in hell for impersonating a vet. But some - actually, a lot - are legit. Dog tags and passports don't often lie. And if they can afford forgeries, they can afford a bed.

So with no other plans for the Spruce Parker Hotel, how about a crowd funded effort to turn it into a clean-living dormitory/apartment building for homeless veterans? Rally volunteer medics, nurses, and counselors practicing outside the VA to offer unbiased healthcare. Provide drug and alcohol rehabilitation programs, security, job training...and most importantly a clean place to sleep.

A LGBT assisted living home recently opened right next door, so there has got to be more money charitably available for veterans.

This isn't crazy talk. It's being done in Arizona, where U.S.Vets-Phoenix is renovating an abandoned motel for veterans. For $2000, you can renovate a room. I would be glad to donate the first $2000 if someone knows how to make that happen at the Spruce Parker.

2. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

I like it, but it would never pass muster with the civic groups there. If Ruthanne Madway is still around, she'll tear you limb from limb for merely suggesting such a thing.

:badger:

3. seand

seand Well-Known Member

I thought the whole issue with the Spruce Parker was essentially that the Indian businessmen who own the building, while not necessarily interested enough in investing in their building to keep it up to code and not a heaven for drug abuse and prosititution, have pretty sharp elbows in terms of hiring lawyers to prevent anything close to eminent domain from occuring. Its been what its been because its been profitable for its owners to keep it being exactly that.

4. bobvila

bobvila Well-Known Member

5. loveisnoise

loveisnoise Well-Known Member

Anyone with a bean of knowledge about the area knows it's called Parker spruce.

6. loveisnoise

loveisnoise Well-Known Member

Btw- it wasn't sold. It's being shuffled through corporations in an attempt to look like they're doing something.

7. Sharkfood

Sharkfood Well-Known Member

So what is the latest on the Parker Spruce? When I passed by a few weeks ago, it was vacant, the windows were open, and I think a cease operations order was posted.

8. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

9. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

10. CCdwell

CCdwell Well-Known Member

fiveomar likes this.