What is wrong with Blackface?

Discussion in 'National' started by Phillyxpat, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

[​IMG]
    What is wrong with Blackface?

Talk is that Gov. Northam, a Dem, must resign because he did some blackface at a party in the 80s in the South, Virginia.

He has apologized. The Vegan PC extreme left wing of the Democratic party or the DEM TALIBAN want a perfect world in which they did not have to deal with real people in everyday life. I for one say that the tempest in the teapot about Blackface and Racism is a mixed bag of judgment not balanced.

These people on the left are nuts just like the Tea Party. And nobody in the media or elsewhere wants to explain why "Blackface" is supposed to be racist and offensive. Do these dumbed down talking heads even know?

Blackface was not offensive, every day in every theatre in America that did vaudeville from the 1840's to the 1940s and the advent of television, whereby minstrel shows with music or minstrel like teams of white men in blackface, so called comedians, that issued a daily reinforcement of African Americans as stupid, lazy and untrustworthy was the norm in everyday White America.

If Northan made a mistake, apologize and move on. If he is racist, it will show in his everyday actions as Governor of Virginia. And as such he can be voted out of office or impeached in his own state legislature etc.

2. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

3. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

4. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

Tartan69 - You are the most intelligent voice in the room at the moment. Congrats for your commitment. I wish I could get $69 million like Megyn Kelly getting out of her NBC contract for being dumb as a doorknob on the topic of blackface. CEO type platinum parachutes for dumb fucks in America at the top (1%). Etc. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. Tartan69

Hey I'm just here to watch the show :D

6. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

Speaking of dumbed down circle jerk PC Leftest Taliban Chicken/Vegan/Shite!?\\*%\\"\:

Mary Poppins branded racist by US academic in 'blackface' row over scene where she gets covered in soot

In a piece for the New York Times, Professor Daniel Pollack-Pelzner criticises one of the film's iconic moments, when Mary Poppins joins Dick Van Dyke's Bert to dance on a rooftop for the classic song Step in Time.

He writes: "When the magical nanny (played by Julie Andrews) accompanies her young charges, Michael and Jane Banks, up their chimney, her face gets covered in soot, but instead of wiping it off, she gamely powders her nose and cheeks even blacker."

"This might seem like an innocuous comic scene if Travers’s novels didn’t associate chimney sweeps’ blackened faces with racial caricature. “Don’t touch me, you black heathen,” a housemaid screams in “Mary Poppins Opens the Door” (1943)."

POT ( as in Mary Juana Burb-Whitebread ) calling the Tea Kettle inner -city?

7. Tartan69

8. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

I wore burnt cork on my face faking a beard with my Bum costume at Halloween in 1957. Do you think they won't find out with social media? LOL

9. Templeton

Templeton Well-Known Member

10. Tartan69

Very few Republicans that I know would disagree with those results (#anectdote).

But I find it interesting that its the Dems are the ones actually doing it...

11. Templeton

Templeton Well-Known Member

You mean in this current news cycle. this republican got outed in January, but somehow didn't make the big news. Blackface furor envelops politicians, even Gucci. But the list of offenders is long

Maybe it's because MSM expects this behavior from republicans?

12. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

Laura Ingraham and Raymond Arroyo Think that Hispanics Are Not White Enough to Play Hamilton in Hamilton? Fox News in GOP Blackface

[​IMG]

Sometimes Vatican sycophant, religious conspiracist, religious network talking news head, Fox News toady pundit and self styled movie critic Raymond Arroyo approves of blackface when it comes to talented white actors using blackface because a suitable black actor cannot be found to make a movie like Othello. Arroyo chimed in support of Laura Ingraham convoluted cultural appropriation and or cultural rape(?) theory of someone in theory, indirectly by way of Arron Burr and George Washington, Lin-Manuel Miranda not being white enough to play Alexander Hamilton. Or mixed race enough? Which leads me to question. I knew Hamilton was a bastard. Was he also the double whammy? A mulatto passing for WHITE?

In podcast, Arroyo goes to great length praising Sir Laurence Olivier's brilliant performance as Othello down to the details of Laurence studying and imitating Sammy Davis Jr.'s sexy little walk to add to that brilliant BLACKFACED movie performance in 1965.

Laura Ingraham Suggests ‘Hamilton’ Black Actors Culturally Misappropriate

“Is that not culturally appropriating the other race?” Ingraham asked Thursday on PodcastOne’s “The Laura Ingraham Show Podcast.” (See the clip below.) “If it’s just about cultural appropriation, does it only go one way? That’s interesting, I didn’t think about that ‘Hamilton’ thing until just now, I love ‘Hamilton.’ See, I think it’s fine, I think it’s all cool. ...Ingraham’s co-host, conservative author Raymond Arroyo, then pointed out Laurence Olivier’s blackface performance in the 1965 film “Othello.” “They wouldn’t be able to do that today,” Ingraham responded. “They would say you would have to have an African American doing it. But what about when they did ‘Hamilton’ and they made white people black people?”

Some more of Arroyo's love of the non-white third world human types in this past interview.

Views: The pope is not pro-life
    (by Wayne Besen 2009-04-01)

...Appearing on Fox's O'Reilly Factor last week, I debated the pope's statement with writer Raymond Arroyo. I pointed out that UNAIDS, calls the condom the “single, most efficient, available technology to reduce the sexual transmission of HIV.” Arroyo responded with a bizarre conspiracy theory saying that the United Nations group was only trying to “protect the government infusion of money to these condom programs that have demonstrably not worked at all.”

Then I asked Arroyo point blank: “If all the condoms in Africa magically disappeared, would the number of HIV cases increase or decrease?”

He responded that HIV would decrease if people would model their lives on the pope's “ideal way in which to live.”

In the ideal world promoted by Arroyo, priests would not rape little boys, while getting shuffled around parishes to protect the church. In the real world, the Vatican has spent millions of dollars to pay for child abuse lawsuits. In Arroyo's fantasy world, young people pledge abstinence until marriage. In the real world, studies show that teens taking virginity pledges were just as likely to engage in sex—and less likely to use birth control or condoms when they finally did.

...During the show, Arroyo asked me, "What do you want him to do, hand out IUDs and condoms from the pope Mobile?"

If that's what it takes to save human lives, then the answer is yes. One would think that this is what a man of God would be commanded to do. But, sadly, compassion is out of fashion at the Vatican these days.

#12 Phillyxpat, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  13. O.H. Lee

O.H. Lee Well-Known Member

My questions is, should someone’s career and/or life be destroyed because of an unintentional racially insensitive error that occurred 30 years ago, when there is no other evidence of that person being racially insensitive since then?

Phillyxpat and Tartan69 like this.
  14. Tartan69

Of course not. But this is the new #metoo world we are living in. Facts, lack of corroboration, due process, and even nuance don't matter...only accusations, assumptions, and witch hunting.

O.H. Lee likes this.
  15. ShoshTrvls

ShoshTrvls Well-Known Member

Although he has flip-flopped on whether he was in the first picture, how in the world could you EVER think that wearing vaudevillian blackface *standing next to someone in a KKK hood and cloak* is "unintentional[ly] racially insensitive?" Indeed, even if he wasn't in that picture, it was on his page in the yearbook and he never objected to it being there (because, tbh, I suspect he's the one in the robe; I can't buy the fact that this picture somehow was mistakenly put on his page by accident).

16. Tartan69

Agreed. The only semi-mitigating factors that I could think of could be:

1. It was the 80s, it wasn't nearly as much of a sensitive issue at all in those days
    2. It could have easily been a "come as the most offensive character ever" halloween party. Parody does not imply agreement.

Absent those factors, yeah, really bad. Even with those factors it is pretty bad since Northam has completely bungled the response six ways from Sunday.

Side note, Northam is a pretty tall guy, I'm going to assume that he's not the KKK hooded person.

17. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

18. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

Let me ask you this. If Northam had gone to school up north and say went to a college called Harvard. And in that yearbook was wearing a dress within the context of it being from his stint in the Hasty Pudding Review. Would he now be called sexist and be forced to resign? Sometimes a bad joke in blackface or a dress is still just a bad joke?

19. Tartan69

Yes that was my entire point around Northam bungling the response. Had he come out and said "yes that's me in blackface, it was a parody for hasty pudding-related event" then that is at least an explanation for which one could potentially presume he wasn't doing it solely for racist reasons. Bad taste...yes, in spades. But nobody is asked to resign just for having bad taste.

However I don't think anyone at this level has ever botched a PR situation like this guy has. Had the Lt Gov and AG not had their own issues, we'd be seeing an insane amount of pressure for him to resign. That's dropped off now that it is clear that if all 3 go, the next in line is a Republican.

20. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

Tartan69 - "You are the most intelligent voice in the room at the moment." Otherwise "Franken Him! Franken Him! Franken Him!"