Wendy's planned to open up at Broad and Snyder at Beneficial Bank location.

Discussion in 'South Philadelphia' started by Baloo, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Baloo

Baloo Proud Roman Catholic

SBSNA holding meeting for Wendy’s planned at Broad and Snyder | Passyunk Post

Just what we need, another fast food joint on this block that will be another place for loitering and littering. We need solid businesses, not junky fast food joints on that block of Broad Street. It's crazy how the east side of Broad between Snyder and McKean is a complete black eye on the rest of Broad Street.

Show up to the meeting on Tuesday March 17th and boycott the opening of yet another fast food restaurant on Broad and Snyder, for the love of God.

phillyaggie, CCdwell and Oladybug like this.
  2. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

I don't think Wendy's is that awful as long as they don't butcher the building. If it were a shake shack people would be ecstatic; however, if rumors of adding a drive thru are true then it's a bad project imo

3. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

I have to agree. Look what's already there on just that side of Broad: McDonald's, H&R Block, Popeyes, Dunkin' Donuts, Rite Aid, Kicks USA, Rainbow, Wedge Recovery Centers, Citizen's Bank. [I've been advised that Dollar Tree and T-Mobile shown in streetview have closed.]

Unless you're going to evict or eminent domain the entire block, Wendy's is a perfect fit .

Google Maps

#3 Jayfar, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  4. Litter Box

Litter Box Well-Known Member

Not that it's that important but the Dollar Tree and T-Mobile are gone and the properties are for rent. I cannot see a drive up since that corner is sort of a transit hub with a BSL entrance and a #79 bus stop and the #37 bus on the other side of Broad St. Let's not forget the South Philly High also across Snyder Ave.

Does Wendy's serve breakfast ? DD does a huge breakfast business along with McDonalds who also does breakfast big time. If I remember Wendy's has had a struggle with breakfast in the past. I miss the Dollar Tree big time.

5. SMG15

SMG15 Well-Known Member

I'm so jealous of people who live in South Philly, they have so many options for fast food, steaks, hoagies

6. eldondre

Breakfast: Wendy's Breakfast - Wendy's
    By and large wendys is like McDonald's with slightly higher quality food

7. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

As of this article from 2014, breakfast wasn't available at many Wendy's. They've been on and off with breakfast over the years. I remember a real nice breakfast buffet setup back in the 80s, which they laid out in the salad bar space (they had an open salad bar at the time). Are any Philly locations among the small number that currently serve breakfast?

Why Wendy's won't serve breakfast | BusinessInsider.com

Here's another article from last fall:

WENDY’S BREAKFAST ON OFFICIAL WEBSITE SPARKS COMEBACK DISCUSSION | Fastfoodgeek.com

#7 Jayfar, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  8. The Count

The Count Well-Known Member

This is a pretty beat stretch of Broad, no?

Seems like a Wendy's would fit right in.

Bunch of neighbors and community groups tried to stop a Wendy's from happening on Ridge Ave in Roxborough a few years back. Didn't work. Wendy's and the owner of the real estate got their way.

9. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

I think you're all missing the OP's point--more fast food is not helping that stretch of Broad Street.

phillyaggie, Debbie and Baloo like this.
  10. eldondre

I don't think it's that big a deal if they respect the building itself. Wendy's is a slightly higher quality, the corner is a major transfer point for septa and across from south philly high. It seems appropriate. Not everything has to be Luke palladino. In roxborough I think it was less about Wendy's the business than the suburban drive through layout although I could be wrong.

11. Litter Box

Last summer about three of four old guys sat on the step and just made a total mess on the corner. Almost anything in there would be an improvement over Pig Pen and the gang. McDonalds has four dumpsters and a trash compacter behind their building, the corner building has no outside space for trash and garbage. It's going to be interesting to watch.

BTW I mentioned the BSL entrance and forgot the escalator that exits on the Snyder side of the building. Double the fun.

12. Litter Box

The weather has warmed up and the Pig Pen club seems to have returned to Broad and Snyder. About what looks like diapers are now on the steps and sidewalk in front of the bank doors. Last year was worse but give these clowns a little time and they'll catch up. Sigh.

13. Litter Box

The picture in the link shows the Pig Pen guys and their trash. Truck parking in a bus stop where a bus loads and unloads every 6 minutes during the day, what could go wrong, perfect.

14. phillyTIM

phillyTIM Well-Known Member

Arby's would be much better. We need an Arby's in my walkable habitat.

Washington Ave would be acceptable, even though it's not in CC.

Jayfar likes this.
  15. luchobucho

luchobucho Well-Known Member

The only plus side is that Wendy's is an easy target for QOL violation enforcement. Maybe the corner will get cleaned up. I'll make it my mission to 311 their business to make sure that corner is spotless.

fiveomar likes this.
  16. phillyaggie

phillyaggie Well-Known Member

On UrbanPHL group on facebook, some guy basically said that S. Broad is the way it is because the neighborhood groups, especially to the east, have fought tooth and nail against national chains from opening on Passyunk Ave or other locations... they treat Broad St as a highway and not really a part of the neighborhood, and don't mind shoving the fast food joints and other such places on it.

Broad St is basically South Philly's highway... it divides the various communities and nobody actually advocates for it, other than SBSNA.

Jayfar likes this.
  17. O.H. Lee

O.H. Lee Well-Known Member

It is going to be chaos during South Philadelphia High School's dismissal.

eldondre likes this.
  18. tsarstruck

tsarstruck Well-Known Member

I didn't respond on the UrbanPHL group, but that's a... strange reading. For all its success, E Passyunk doesn't have the pedestrian or automobile traffic that the national chains require. The number of national chains (if you exclude Barcelona Wine Bar, which is a whole other kettle of fish) that have been proposed for East Passyunk in the last ten years: one. And that was the Rita's.

19. Litter Box

Zoning notices are posted for new signs for a take out window.

20. Litter Box

Any updates on this or is it dead. There doesn't seem to be any activity.

21. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

They just got the building permit they needed in September according to L&I and it specifies that asbestos abatement needed to be completed first:

L&I Property History

Permit Number
    Application Type
    ALTERATION PERMIT
    Permit Type
    ALT-MAJOR ALTERATION
    Status
    ACTIVE
    Date Issued
    9/8/2016
    Last Updated
    9/8/2016
    Work Description
    FOR A COMPLETE CHANGE OF OCCUPANCY CLASSIFICATION & LEVEL 3 ALTERATIONS TO CREATE TAKE-OUT RESTAURANT WITHIN EXIST. ONE (1) STORY ABOVE GRADE PLANE, W. BASEMENT & MEZZANINE, BUILDING INCLUDING MINOR STRUCTURAL REPAIRS ERECTION OF PARTITION WALLS FOR KITCHEN & DINING AREAS, NEW RESTROOMS & ALL ASSOCIATED FINISH WORK; BUILDING TO BE FULLY SPRINKLERED. SEPARATE PERMIT REQ'D FOR BUILDING SIGNAGE & ANY MECH., ELEC., PLUMB. & FIRESUPP WORK. ASBESTOS ABATEMENT TO BE COMPLETED PRIOR TO COMMENCEMENT OF ANY PERMITTED WORK.
    Contractor Information
    JBS ALLPHASE CONSTRUCTION
    100 SOUTH BROAD STREET
    CLAYTON, NJ 08312

Here's all the permits listed with L&I:

L&I Property History

22. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

And the permit for the sprinkler system was updated just 3 days ago, so looks like this project is still active:

L&I Property History

Permit Number
    Application Type
    SUPPRESSION PERMIT
    Permit Type
    FSP-NEW INSTALLATION
    Status
    ACTIVE
    Date Issued
    12/15/2016
    Last Updated
    1/5/2017
    Work Description
    AUTOMATIC SPRINKLER SYSTEM INSTALL W. FOUR (4) INCH FIRE SERVICE & BACKFLOW PREVENTION (BFP) ASSEMBLY FOR PREVIOUSLY APPROVED MIXED-USE RESTAURANT SPACE W. STORAGE MEZZANINE. AUTOMATIC SPRINKLER SYSTEM INSTALL PER NFPA 13.
    Contractor Information
    OLIVER SPRINKLER CO INC
    501 FEHELEY DRIVE
    KING OF PRUSSIA, PA 19406

23. Shadowbat

Shadowbat Well-Known Member

Interior's been destroyed, old windows have been replaced by crappy off the shelf commercial ones....

24. Sean

Sean Well-Known Member

I was noticing how much the interior had been destroyed when I walked past this weekend as well. From the looks of the framed out walls they've erected so far, there will be a huge blank wall dividing the space in half all the way up to the ceiling.