using an "a la carte" broker in Phila

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Real Estate' started by wissahorse, Dec 28, 2016.

1. wissahorse

wissahorse Active Member

Hello all,

We are thinking of selling a single-family home that is currently rented, and are evaluating whether to try one of the "a la carte" services that will provide as much or as little support as you like (e.g., $X to list on MLS, $X to show the house, etc.). Some call themselves "flat fee," and others (like Houwzer) pitch a slightly different model.

I'm interested in hearing feedback on this option, from anyone who has insight or experience -- agents, sellers, buyers, etc.

I am wondering, for example, whether agents representing buyers steer clear of these properties (or any FSBO, for that matter). Do buyers perceive this as a "downmarket" listing? (I have to admit that when we were buying our first house and our agent told us that dealing with a FSBO listing would be a huge hassle, we believed her and avoided them.)

Thanks in advance.

Lisa

2. ks2pa

ks2pa Well-Known Member

I recently used Houwzer to sell my home (and buy a new one). They did a great job with the listing. My house was on the market for ~7 days and eventually sold for slightly above asking price. I would definitely recommend them. I had minimal equity in the house so they were a life saver for me.

wissahorse likes this.
  3. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

Just use Redfin (Redfin.com). Much lower commission yet full service. They're able to offer lower rates because they're not part of the National Association of Realtors (NAR) cartel. And yes, your home will still be on the MLS.

I've used them and couldn't have been happier as compared to using 2 traditional realtors in the past. We saved a ridiculous sum of money doing so too.

wissahorse likes this.
  4. wissahorse

wissahorse Active Member

Thanks for the info, ks2pa and fiveomar! Other experiences or comments still welcome.