Tree infringing on property

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Real Estate' started by Clarkie, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Clarkie

Clarkie Well-Known Member

Hey all,
    I have a place in South Philly with a slightly-above averaged size backyard and third floor deck. The neighbors behind me also have a good-sized backyard, but they have a huge (never tended or trimmed) tree whose branches are literally scrapping my deck railing. My lower backyard is constantly filled with leaves, branches and some kind of small berry that falls off the tree.

I've tried contacting my neighbors but to no avail. Also, considering the state of the tree and the house itself, I seriously doubt they will willingly deal with it. I even offered to pay for the trimming, but still no reply. So do i have any recourse here? Would calling 311 help? Thanks!

2. billy ross

billy ross Well-Known Member

Cut the branches at the property line. That's your legal option. Your extralegal option is to kill the tree.

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  3. HomeInspectorBC

HomeInspectorBC Well-Known Member

if you cut the branches in a manner that damages or kills the tree you could be held liable.

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  4. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

Agreeing with BRoss only in that you are permitted to cut branches at property line. Don't mess with killing the tree. Extralegal means that you're inviting problems for yourself.