Train derailment in Port Richmond - Now

Discussion in 'Fishtown / Northern Liberties / Kensington / Port ' started by Litter Box, May 12, 2015.

1. zeolite

zeolite Banned

Back your answer up next time ya wing-nut.

2. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Updates:

-SEPTA is now taking Amtrak tickets on the WEST TRENTON LINE ONLY.

-speaking of the West Trenton Line, there will be NO bus shuttle service to Trenton Transportation Center this weekend. take that up with NJ Transit.

-the Atlantic City Line is back up and running(Since it uses the tracks SOUTH of the crash site. So if you wanted to see the site up close, you can today.

-AMTRAK will have an announcement Monday on the timeline of the service being brought back.

3. zeolite

zeolite Banned

Not at all billy, pilotless planes are very safe, they just need test passengers and who better than you and Tartan to hopefully report back? Word is each subject will be provided a fifth of Jamisons, making it worthwhile either way. Your kids driving cars is another matter for deeper study.

4. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

I think you need some new meds.

5. zeolite

zeolite Banned

Lighten up mate, just posting in jest - I don't hold a grudge, and I also don't do the meds thing, just lean, green, and as you say - mean, courtesy of the US Guv showing results for our tax dollars.

Have a stiff one in salud to the train victim's families, as well as the 6 Marines and 2 Nepalese who died this week in rescue efforts. Think outside yourself.

6. jslader

jslader Well-Known Member

In a new development, the FBI has been asked to investigate the possibility that a projectile of some sort may have struck the train prior to the curve.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...obe-exploring-whether-train-was-hit-by-object

Two other trains had been struck minutes before train 188 went through the area. It has been postulated that the engineer may have ducked an object striking his windshield, perhaps even entering the cab. He stayed down until the cab alerter reminded him to retake the controls, roughly a minute later. He did, hitting the brakes, but it was too late

7. zeolite

zeolite Banned

Not your story jslader, but that scenario comes off as the worst form of cowardice when the lives of so many others are in your control.

8. jslader

Nonetheless, I think about the comments by John Boehner yesterday, saying this accident was simply someone going too fast, and not a reason to properly fund Amtrak so that PTC could be installed.
    I am neutral politically, so I am not looking at his comments as, "Oh, that dumb republican..." However, I thought the way he dismissed that idea was rather...irresponsible.

9. supersupper

supersupper Appetizer

In the interest of non-partisan politics, Nutter wasn't any butter.

10. jslader

Absolutely agree. His words may have been even more egregious, as they came at the end of a sentence, or perhaps thought, that began with, "I don't know what was going on in that cab..."

11. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

Amtrak Says Shortfalls and Rules Delayed Its Safety System | NYTimes.com

12. supersupper

supersupper Appetizer

Chuck Schumer, D-New York, called Boehner's comments "patently false."

"Experts have made clear that Positive Train Control could have prevented the tragedy in Philadelphia," he said. "It is simply a fact that insufficient funding for Amtrak has delayed the installation of PTC, and to deny a connection between the accident and underfunding Amtrak is to deny reality."

....The appropriations committee also defeated an amendment that would have spent $825 million to fund a specific infrastructure improvement known as Positive Train Control, a system that combines GPS, wireless radio and computers to monitor trains and stop them from colliding, derailing or speeding.

Of course, the profitable part of AMTRAK runs through Blue States...so...

13. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

14. Tartan69

15. DCnPhilly

I've never even heard of him. I did get a kick out of their description of him.

16. supersupper

supersupper Appetizer

17. zeolite

zeolite Banned

Did you know bikes are permitted on I-95?

18. supersupper

supersupper Appetizer

Yes, I do it often on my Harley.

19. Litter Box

Litter Box Well-Known Member

what do bikes have to do with a train crash ?

20. Tartan69

He's only semi-famous ;-)

21. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Well-Known Member

22. DCnPhilly

...just when I start liking you again :eekfacepalm:

23. zeolite

zeolite Banned

Toy Harley's are safe too.

[​IMG]

24. daninpa

daninpa Cheesesteak GURU!

25. DCnPhilly

Wow. When Philly.com gets an article right, they get it right. I have been so disgusting by some of the national pundits, politicians, and disconnected people placing blame and looking for the worst in this tragedy. This really shows the humanity that comes out in people when they're faced with something so horrible. I know Philadelphians are amazing people but it still shocks me when I read about people coming out with bottles of water and volunteering to help. I really wish the national press could find this kind of empathy and run stories like this.

26. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Looks like Service will resume tomorrow, SEPTA hasn't said anything about the Trenton line, but expect that to change tonight or tomorrow...

27. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

Actually they have. It was on philly dot com a couple hours ago.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busine...on_rail_line_could_be_restored_by_Monday.html

EDIT: And here's the status from SEPTA's website:

Regional Rail:
    Trenton: Service will resume tomorrow AM (5/18) with no outbound station stops at North Philadelphia, Bridesburg and Tacony Stations and no inbound stops at North Philadelphia Station. Delays are expected.
    West Trenton: Trenton service will resume tomorrow AM (5/18). All enhanced schedules and bus service has been canceled. Regular scheduled times will be in effect.

28. zeolite

zeolite Banned

Nothing, but back on topic the latest take I've heard today in bits and pieces is that the windshield hit had a lot to do with the crash.

Since it's well known kids have always thrown rocks at trains, or worse yet drop stuff from bridges, maybe they could use better glass. Looking at the pic below it appears flat and not the best design to deflect projectiles, but much of the cracking appears from the impact of the crash on the left. The hit on the right appears it could have been a bullet but who knows.

The company US Armor Glass lists military and other customers, but nothing about train customers. It's kinda scary a sniper could take out the lone engineer, or is there a back-up, and is the cabin door locked? One of US Armor's products is 4" thick and will stop a .50 cal round:

"What Type of Ballistic Threats Do You Provide Protection For?We provide both Flat Sheet and Curved Ballistic Resistant Glass Clads in different protection levels: from Level 1 stopping handguns such as.9mm & .357 Magnums at .825″ thick to Level 8 Armor Piercing Protection from a 7.62 M14 Rifle at 2.5″ thick. And we have 3″ glass for 50 CAL BALL, and 4″ glass for 50 CAL AP. Please refer to our Product Specifications pages for details." http://usarmorllc.com/

[​IMG]

29. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

Bucks company puts pedal to metal for Amtrak | Philadelphia Inquirer

30. zeolite

zeolite Banned

Interesting engineer's thread about the ACS-64 locomotive's windshield problems:

Passenger Trains > ACS-64 Sprinter Windshields A Major Safety Problem

i wanted to confirm the GOSSSSSSSSSIP so i put a call into a co-worker of mine who run a regional and Acela on the NYP NHV BOS ... he just called back and CONFIRMED the GOSSSSSSSIP ... he said it was the thickness and the tinting of the windshild ... he said when they're ok running during the day but when running at night the signals had a foggy glare around them ... he also used the term looking through beer goggles ... he stated a good number of the 2nd set of replacement windshields came into Wilmington were cracked and chipped ... he said he ran the new units last year a few times ... he said they were good running locos but had some quirks with the software but overall good to run

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/14 08:04 by Out_Of_Service.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,3326217

#150 zeolite, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 17, 2015