Thoughts on next year's "Made in America" Concert--Hve it AGAIN??

Discussion in 'Fairmount / Spring Garden / Francisville' started by Jim19130, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Jim19130

Jim19130 Well-Known Member

Non-stop noise all weekend for this "private" event, two reported rapes, including 22nd and Spring Garden, public urination in the neighborhood, newspaper boxes being thrown into buildings/homes, litter, empty beer bottles, Van Collen field closed off for a week, blockaded streets. And the City lost money. Yet, the neighborhood seems to "roll over" when it comes to opinions on whether it should happen again. eyy

My opinion is obvious--does anyone else object to another year of this if it comes to that?

2. AbortedWalrus

AbortedWalrus Well-Known Member

Any source on "the city lost money?"

Anyway, yes, it should happen again. It brought in a ton of business to the neighborhood. I have nothing against private businesses leasing public land for events either.

3. guzzijason

guzzijason Mostly Human

Yes, there is a source - he pulled it out of his ass.

Yep, I say do it again. Personally, I would live to see it be more of a street festival in the neighborhood like Live 8 was, but I realize that's not really feasible because people can't come and go from the festival - once you go in, you have to stay there. I really enjoyed the vibe in the neighborhood during Live 8 - but unless someone wants to bankroll a free festival each year, MIA is probably our best bet.

__Jason

4. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

I gather none of you live in the Philadelphian where lots of people had to flee their homes for the weekend. If I lived that close I would be pissed. As it is I am ambivalent.

5. ShoshTrvls

ShoshTrvls Well-Known Member

They had to "flee?" Really?

The fact is, most of those people live in the Philadelphian so they can benefit from the events on the parkway that they like (such as the 4th of July fireworks). Sorry if they don't like all of the events, but you take the good, you take the bad.

I hope we keep it going every year until it becomes as much of a regular institution as Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza and Coachella.

6. #1MetsFan

#1MetsFan Well-Known Member

Any source for the two reported rapes and the newspaper boxes being thrown into homes?

In any event, I understood it to be a two-year deal, and I haven't heard anything about a third. He may be in luck.

7. guzzijason

guzzijason Mostly Human

The rapes were pretty widely reported - one girl got in the back of what she thought was a taxi (but it wasn't), and the other girl was lured back to a guy's aparment after she asked to use his phone. 2nd guy was arrested; I don't think they've caught up with the guys in the "taxi".

__Jason

8. arjay

arjay Well-Known Member

I recall hearing on the news the day after the event that an agreement was reached to keep the festival here through 2017. That's all that was said, no details. Anyone else hear that?

9. drewrob23

drewrob23 Well-Known Member

The majority of things you posted can and do happen on the daily. If you don't like it why not take that weekend and go to New Jersey?

10. FMT

FMT Well-Known Member

I don't mind the concert at all but I live a little further up the hill.

You must not be from the neighborhood. The people in the Philadelphian complain about everything. They are a bunch of older folks that hate all of the events.

11. DocAwesome

DocAwesome The Doctor is In

The Philadelphian is the worst detriment to the neighborhood. The ****tyass building is so subjectively and objectively ugly and decrepid that during their latest reassessment-causing exterior renovation, construction equipment took up over 5 blocks of street parking for over a full year. Their owners are so uppity that they are the only condo building in that is against combining the condo shuttlebusses to center city, because going two blocks up to 2601 might cause them to all be late to be cranky at every civic meeting ever. Why this lawyer-filled building is even on the parkway is a mystery because the owners never go to any of the parkway events apart from stick-in-the-ass tuesdays.

/amidoinitrite?

12. #1MetsFan

#1MetsFan Well-Known Member

Lawyer-filled? It's basically just an upscale nursing home, without the nursing home services.

13. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

As I said - it's obvious most of the people posting here do not live there. If I did I would have been pissed to have to live with that noise for 2 full days.

14. drewrob23

drewrob23 Well-Known Member

I used to live on the Parkway and I might not have enjoyed waking up to early in the morning to construction for the many festivals the Parkway hosts, but it is Center City. How are you going to live in one of the busiest areas and then complain about noise? The burbs would fix that real quick.

15. Moonraker

Moonraker Rocket Scientist

Feedback from a native

Having been born in Lankeunau when it was at Corinthian & Girard, I am a native.
    Since 1976 we have hosted the July Fourth celebration, and when the City moved it away, fought for it's return.
    Since it was invented, we hosted the Thanksgiving Day Parade, from the days it started here & we assembled in St Frannies.
    Live 8 and it's 'bizarre' perimeter control, was part of our history.
    SEPTA is doing a better job of telling us of their detours, than in years past, when they didn't.
    Generations X, Y etc who frequent the bars, urinate in our alleys and in our streets.
    Young families start here and move because 1) 'the schools suck', or can't live in a 3 or 4 bedroom house, which once held families of 7+.
    This summer we tolerated weeks of driving on milled roadbeds and holding our Block Parties on that milled roadbed.
    Many of our elders came here having been threatened with extermination by Hitler and/or Stalin.

In behalf of my family, neighbors and friends, please continue to mouth off in this forum. We are entertained by the immaturity and inability to cope and adapt.
    We also encourage you to become active, maybe proactive in fixing every damn thing you think is wrong with the City, State and Country. If you can!

16. funk

funk Well-Known Member

Is that a sampling from your audition tape for Andy Rooney's job?

17. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

18. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Offical:

[video=youtube;3aifMzZrL8M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aifMzZrL8M&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Hello LA

19. ShoshTrvls

ShoshTrvls Well-Known Member

KimYe Is Coming! @@
    And we'll all be Happy!

Actually, it's a pretty great line up.

Kanye West, Kings of Leon, Tiesto, The National, Steve Aoki, Pharrell Williams, J. Cole, Girl Tak, Spoon, Chromeo, City and Colour, Grimes, AWOLNATION, R3HAB, Gareth Emery, De La Soul, Baauer, Tommy Trash, Mayer Hawthorne, Kongos, 3LAU, The Neighborhood, Danny Brown, YG, Holy Ghost, Penguin Prison, Destructo, Bleachers, DJ Cassidy, Cherub, Will Sparks, Young & Sick, Vacationer, Cut Snake and Kaneholler.

Made in America Philly Lineup: Kanye, Kings of Leon, Tiesto and More

20. Gladys

Gladys Well-Known Member

I officially feel old.

21. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very oldĀ®

Ditto. I've heard of maybe two or three of those performers.

22. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Yeah I was worry LA was going to give us a weak lineup but it looks like we got the better line up then LA with FOUR headliners(they got two)! They aren't happy. Lol

No Outkast tho, but its OK.

23. FMT

FMT Well-Known Member

Too much techno dubstep crap for me this year. I'll pass. The last few years had at least a couple of acts that would appeal to aging white guys - Pearl Jam, NIN, Queens of the ST. De La Soul is the closest thing this year, maybe I'll walk down to listen to them.

Kings of Leon is a rock band, I remember the song about the lead singers genitals being on fire.

24. funk

funk Well-Known Member

i was secretly hoping for Jane's Addiction or a Stabbing Westward reunion, but i guess that will never happen.

25. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

26. rocknroller

rocknroller Brewtown

You have no idea what you're talking about. Jane's is playing a festival in Baltimore less than a month later. How would playing another festival 1000 miles away affect the turnout for a band that MAY draw 15K here anyway?

27. OffenseTaken

OffenseTaken Well-Known Member

That is a great lineup. And Mixiboi is right. LA's lineup looks like Thursday night at a state fair.

Girl Talk's shows are supposed to be pretty exciting. It's hard to imagine how when it's some wimpy guy ****ing around on a Windows laptop. Maybe you have to be high.

Protip for the mildly interested: bring a blanket to Paine's Park and if the music sucks, you won't be out a ticket.

28. Malloy

Malloy Administrator
    Staff Member

Philly Freezer (Freeway) should be with Girl Talk, so Philly will accept his odd mash up sounds ;-)

29. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Its kind of surprising to see them doing another event, tho the Shindig Festival its a smaller one day Rock and Roll event, and they have a album coming out so its a perfect target audience to sell that too, so its not that surprising.

But as long as Lollapalooza, Perry's baby is alive, don't expect them to EVER do another Multi-Day concert event outside of Chicago.

Lollapalooza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

30. Jim19130

Jim19130 Well-Known Member

Well, another year of noise, including from the car alarms set off by the massive sub-woofers, public urination, empty beer cans on my property. All for a private concert. I cannot imagine why the city allows this concert in front of the Art Museum, subjecting thousands of people in the neighborhood to an entire weekend of noise. Fairmount Park is miles long, yet a concert venue can't be staged anywhere else in Fairmount Park other than in front of the Art Museum steps in the "midst" of Center City/Fairmount?