The Gallery Renovation

Discussion in 'Center City' started by Phillyurban8, Sep 23, 2015.

1. acenturi

acenturi Well-Known Member

If City Winery catered to younger patrons, it would need to compete directly with at least 2, hugely popular, relatively nearby large venues - Union Transfer and The Fillmore. Particularly, if their principal strategy will be to attract non-Mall patrons. Now if their plan is for a reincarnated Lawrence Welk venue - that'd be interesting. The referenced Boston venue above, seems to support the older customer orientation. So for the Opening, they send a stretch to get Patti Labelle from Wynnewood to toot a few oldies and get things started. :D:D

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  2. Phillyurban8

Phillyurban8 Well-Known Member

The newer facades are looking better than the Burlington one but I really wish the architecture above had been considered. The whole appearance is very "Chestnut Street 1970s" where all of the upper floor facades were mostly ignored while the ground floor facades were made new. The Hale Building was a good case in point when the Valu-Plus facade was added with no relation to the Victorian one above. Note how the tile solution is very similar to what's being used to "update" the Gallery:

[​IMG]

fiveomar likes this.
  3. londoner

londoner Well-Known Member

It's a fair comparison. Unfortunately at the Gallery they are covering up dated 70's exteriors with....dated 60s exterior tiling.

ShoshTrvls, Titus and fiveomar like this.
  4. OldePhila

OldePhila Well-Known Member

Hopefully there are no further delays with this project. With this hope in mind, I looked up some of the announced tenant’s career websites to see if they’re filling positions for FD yet. No job postings yet. Autumn opening?

#604 OldePhila, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  5. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

Not to mention Metropolitan Opera House in Francisville which is currently being restored and opening soon (another large music venue).

6. krapug11

krapug11 Active Member

A good point, IF the complex is going to open in November, leases would need to be signed by now (or sooner), to allow for store build outs, inventory selection, staffing planning, training, etc.

Stay tuned.......................................

7. OldePhila

Listened to PREIT's REITWeek® 2018 presentation today: The mall co-owner is sticking to an Autumn '18 opening date for some stores at FD. Also, major tenant announcements will be made in August ... additional "off-price" and "Flagship" retail to be announced at that time.

8. Phillyurban8

Planet Fitness. This new mall should have a large, kick ass gym! Center City gyms are either too small, in basements or have sucko equipment. I can't believe the types of gyms I see in other cities; our gyms lag far behind.

9. OldePhila

If they open a Planet or LA Fitness everyone will complain about the mall attracting the hoi polloi.

10. Alley

Alley Well-Known Member

I thought City Fitness was opening a location 11th/Market.

11. MNG1324

MNG1324 Well-Known Member

Yes they are taking the entire second floor of 27k sq feet at 12th and Market.

Alley likes this.
  12. Phillyurban8

Seriously, the new facades are ghastly. They hurt my eyes. My only hope now is that signage will improve them.

fiveomar likes this.
  13. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

They just updated the article to state that everything will open at once in September of 2019, rather than some parts opening in late 2018. [​IMG]

City Winery music and dining venue to open at former Gallery mall | Philly.com

City Winery’s lease at the property was announced by Macerich Wednesday in an earnings release that also disclosed that the Fashion District project’s budget has ballooned to as much as $420 million, up from a previous $325 million.

A spokeswoman for the project declined to share details of the City Winery lease ahead of a planned Thursday morning news conference.

The announcement comes almost two years after PREIT, of Philadelphia, and Santa Monica-based Macerich began work on the transformation of the former Gallery’s 730,000 square feet of retail space between Market and Filbert Streets, bounded by Eighth and 11th Streets.

Leases have been signed for about 80 percent of the project’s rentable space with tenants including Dallas BBQ, Polo Ralph Lauren and Forever 21, in addition to H&M and AMC, Macerich said Wednesday.

[snip]

And from the Macerich earnings press release, we see that it's not about 80% leased, but rather signed or in active lease negotiations.

Macerich Corporate - News Releases

Redevelopment continues on The Fashion District of Philadelphia, a three-level retail hub spanning over 800,000 square footage across three city blocks in the heart of downtown Philadelphia. The scope of the project has increased with the addition of numerous entertainment and dining elements. Estimated project costs are now expected to be in the range of $400 - $420 million (or $200 to $210 million at the Company's pro rata share). We have signed leases or are in active lease negotiations with tenants for over 80% of the leasable area. Noteworthy commitments include Century 21, Burlington, H&M, Polo Ralph Lauren, Forever 21, Columbia Sportswear, AMC Theaters, City Winery and Dallas BBQ. The grand opening is planned for September 2019.

#613 Jayfar, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  14. krapug11

krapug11 Active Member

So it's delayed again, what a shock !

Jayfar likes this.
  15. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

…and with construction costs up almost 30% from earlier figures, even though so far the exterior looks like they value-engineered the hell out of it.

fiveomar likes this.
  16. OldePhila

Should have realized when they kept Burlington--instead of scooting them across the street--they were having trouble with apparel leasing. The proposed tenant list is wafer thin. Almost all of the stores have or had a presence in Philadelphia recently.

17. Nytecat

Nytecat Well-Known Member

Based on everything I've seen in the last few posts, they must be revising the layout into a two level mall (street and subway) except for the far west end where access to the movie theater is needed. Most of the upper floors will have to be repurposed and some brand new escalators are going to be torn out. It sucks but it is what it is. You don't have to go far to find downsizing downtown malls. Baltimore's own Gallery recently lost a floor because GGP couldn't keep the mall fully leased.

18. Notcom

Notcom Version 2.0

Permanent Tenant Moving In

And its name is "Reality"

The fact is the mission for which The Gallery was built - providing a multi-anchor, middle class shopping environment that could compete with outlying malls - has ended; it ended probably in the late 80's early 90's when JCP and Gimbels>Sterns closed, and it ended with certainty a decade ago when Strawbridges closed. There isn't a city in America - except maybe SF, which has peculiar demographics and a large tourist trade - which can support that much enclosed retail space, and sad tho it may be, in a way, it's probably best to move on...let's hope PREIT pulls its head out of its @$$ long enough to look around and come up with some good alternatives for however many floors may need to be repurposed.

Hospitalitygirl and Jayfar like this.
  19. OldePhila

Right now the overall plan reads like a patchwork-quilt of questionable workmanship. As it stands the “anchors” are AMC, Burlington and C21 with a few redundant juniors thrown in for good measure.

Of course the block is also “anchored” by Macy’s, since this is a city and not some burb, but by all accounts, if sales per SF aren’t high who would risk it?

Also can we get some of that wow-factor PREIT was so wont to tout in relation to this project?

I of course refer only to the apparel side of the business as I find some of the entertainment developments quite positive.

fiveomar likes this.
  20. Nytecat

Well, once you get past the usual suspects of Chicago, NYC, SF, Boston, etc. the number of US cities with successful downtown malls has been getting slimmer. Off the top of my head, Seattle ‘s Westlake and Pacific Place combo is doing great. But that’s probably the epicenter of downtown retail in that city, something the Gallery has never really been here. MacArthur Center in Norfolk and Providence Place in Providence are also in very good shape. But again, as far as I know, they are the dominant retail locations in those cities and don’t compete with another shopping district like Rittenhouse Square less than a mile away. It’s also worth noting that the Nordstrom in Norfolk has been faltering and is likely to close soon.

On the other hand you look at San Diego’s Horton Plaza and Indianapolis’ Circle Centre and you see signs of struggle. Both lost their Nordstrom in recent years. From what I have seen online, Circle Centre is doing OK at the moment by bringing in eater-tainment type establishments. Horton on the other hand hasn’t been renewing leases and I’m not sure that’s always the stores’ choice. There is a bit of intrigue in San Diego as mall landlord Westfield sold the property this year and plans for it are not known. The Gallery in Baltimore as mentioned above closed its fourth floor. It is being leased by a company similar to WeWork. The pavilions across Pratt Street are dealing with upper floor vacancies as well. Other downtown malls in Cleveland and Milwaukee aren’t doing so hot either.

fiveomar and Hospitalitygirl like this.
  21. Notcom

Notcom Version 2.0

A really good - as in having specific numbers, rather than WAG's - article on same

Hampton Roads' one and only Nordstrom is in distress. Now what?

Yikes!! it sure isn't pretty; it also makes clear how rapidly things can change... tho in this case the change was really from meh to OMG!!

#621 Notcom, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  22. Nytecat

If the Norfolk Nordstrom does close, I hope they move to Lynnhaven Mall rather than leave the area altogether. But it was mentioned somewhere that Lynnhaven once had and lost a Lord & Taylor so even that might be a long shot. As far as MacArthur goes, Macy's might be interested, as the article says.

There are a couple of interesting videos of Norfolk's Waterside District before and after redevelopment. Just for laughs I'll post them here when I find them.

23. Notcom

Notcom Version 2.0

Redevelopment hit Norfolk hard: a couple years ago I was reading an old (c.1930) architectural magazine and ran across an article about urban planning/renewal, illustrated with what they described as a typical, chaotic American city. The picture was not identified as to location, but after a few weeks I was able to determine it was Norfolk. Almost every building in the picture - and it covered the whole downtown area and much of the inner neighborhoods - has been demolished.

This shot shows pretty much the same area
    Aerial view of Downtown Norfolk, 1965 - Norfolk, Virginia :: Sargeant Memorial Collection Photograph Collection, 1850s-2010s
    This is only 1965, so the damage came early; I exaggerated a little, since the core around Granby Street survived - and still does today - but you can still see the carnage (that L shaped building above the cleared area replaced a market hall ...think Reading w/o a train shed over it)

#623 Notcom, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  24. Nytecat

Wow, Norfolk was pretty decimated. Anyway, one of the things that came along to revive the area was a Rouse “festival marketplace” named Waterside. It fell out of favor and became a vacant eyesore over time.

But it has since been renovated and now seems to have a new lease on life.

Of course this building is only a fraction of the size of the Gallery. It’s easy to fill up a relatively small space with eating, drinking, and entertainment. Still, I find it to be an interesting before and after.

25. Notcom

Notcom Version 2.0

Relax: I've seen the future

MALL HALL OF FAME: Philadelphia Malls

and it turns out everything ended up fine:

A first phase of FASHION DISTRICT PHILADELPHIA opened for business in November 2018. A subsequent stage, including a state-of-the-art AMC movie theater, was officially dedicated in November 2019

:rolleyes:

I'm not really sure what I can add to this...I've heard of preemptive reporting - newspapers often keep (future) obits on file - but this seems just a wee bit ...uhm, presumptive.

26. Nytecat

Regarding Mall Hall of Fame, that's one of my favorite mall websites. He does a pretty good job keeping his vast number of mall articles up to date. Some of his information is dated but I'm sure he'll correct the latest news on the Gallery when he gets a chance. I just wish he didn't remove visitor comments as I enjoyed reading those.

27. Notcom

Notcom Version 2.0

No. No: let's hope PREIT is motivated to make it come true !!!

o_O

Jayfar likes this.