The Gallery Renovation

Discussion in 'Center City' started by Phillyurban8, Sep 23, 2015.

1. MackeyDingo

MackeyDingo REALLY Well-Known Member

Wills Eye? That's not an encouraging sign....

2. MNG1324

MNG1324 Well-Known Member

A probably less than 2k square foot eyeglass store is the problem with this redevelopment????

I think the value engineered façade with cheap materials and the all white interior tile are much more problematic.

Let's wait and see what PREIT tells us about the first phase retail lineup. Please be Primark and Century 21 taking over the rest of the first floor of the old Strawbridge's space. The rumor mill has that space spoken for but I'm assuming it's just a WAG that's it's Century 21.

3. Notcom

Notcom Version 2.0

No, the problem is that CSA couldn't find a better tenant to mention; but I'm not sure whose fault that is: I wasn't overly impressed by the article, which - allegedly - "spoke to" PREIT, but seems to have gained little from the conversation beyond what is already common knowledge (they could have learned as much - or more - talking to someone on PS...I'm sure Ken has nothing better to do until lobster season opens :mad: )

4. krapug11

krapug11 Active Member

Ha,Ha, Ha, no the issue is why doesn't PREIT just announce the tenants already..................

As another poster pointed out they released a picture the former JC Penney space, with someone exotic anchor store, Tenant, Tenant, Tenant, I wonder where there from ?

Then again you'll have to excuse me, far from waiting for Lobstah Season, I'm late (due to the snowstorm) for meeting Muffy at my
    club for tea and crumpets. Where did I leave my Harris Tweed blazer.......................
    The pressures of living in Boston.

Ken

5. Notcom

Notcom Version 2.0

Precisely: the implication is that they don't really have any tenants...and of even more concern is that they won't when - if ?? - it opens.

(Perhaps you can ask Muffy if her sort would be willing to shop a Coldwater Creek Outlet store, or if she still has Jeeves troll the web for her).

6. krapug11

krapug11 Active Member

I just asked Muffy, (between bites of crumpets and scones), and as long as she has her 2 level Talbot's just off Copley Square
    to send Jeeves to fetch things, the Coldwater Creek outlet as no appeal. Muffums did confess that she sent Jeeves to Primark a few times
    but on the last run, Averill, Blair, Sloane,and Victoria spotted those brown bags going into her front door. Poor Muffy wasn't allowed
    into the Mandarin Oriental for over a month.

All kidding aside, I always get a kick out of passing one of the uppity hotels on a Sunday when the weekenders are checking out, and
    the people of means have luggage carts full of Primark bags stuffed to the gills.

Back to Tea...................

Ken

7. MackeyDingo

to be clear i thought it was medical offices. recall that the mall had an unhealthy amount of medical offices in it prior to the rehabilitation.

i think the rehab is a huge improvement. doors to the street will be a big boost and the exterior, despite only bein the first two floors, is a big improvement in my opinion.

but i admit i don’t seem to understand the implications of this being a “mall.” i think the doors to the street will make that distinction fairly irrelevant, but what do i know. not much it seems.

8. MNG1324

MNG1324 Well-Known Member

I'm having lunch with a broker from 3 letter firm (pretty easy to guess here) that specializes in retail Friday and will try and get some more info that I'm not supposed to reveal here. If he wants my 15k listing in Willow Grove he needs to give me gossip for PS.

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  9. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

So why's the new Gallery's marketing campaign lily-white? | Mike Newall | Philly.com

I reached out to the Gallery’s developer, Joseph Coradino. “Must be a slow news day if you’re writing about my renderings,” he said. He said that he wanted the Gallery to be an inclusive place and that the renderings were stock images his company altered to show the physical space — in other words, we should be paying attention to the buildings, not the people. (The fact that stock images in general are full of mostly white people is another can of worms.)

But he conceded: “We should have taken pause.”

Imagery matters. This is the premier shopping destination downtown, the embodiment of the new Market East, and the way we sell it matters, too. The people who walk by this every day — the people who would use the new Gallery — need to see themselves in the marketing of it. As Roberts said, they’ve got to change this.

The company’s senior vice president of corporate communications called me an hour later. “Poorly monitored and not at all intentional,” she stressed. The signs are coming down as fast as possible.

10. krapug11

krapug11 Active Member

Despite the vile, and I mean vile remarks on the Philly.com site about the story, it is very appropriate and honest.

Look at the story from Chain Store Age when they were discussing new the food court, Market Eats.
    In that story is is described as a "commuter focused" food courts in "commuter focus" being code for we do not
    want the same patrons (young or old) , that The Gallery Food Court was drawing.

Ken

Jayfar likes this.
  11. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Here's a bit of nostalgia from a couple years before my arrival on the shores of Philly. 1978, when the Gallery I at Market East was shiny and new:

Rouse Philadelphia Inc. v. Ad Hoc'78

Excerpt:
    On August 25, 1978, the defendant, T. Milton Street, and a large group of persons estimated to be from three to five thousand (3000 to 5000) strong, massed at various locations in and around the entrances to a downtown shopping mall in Center City Philadelphia known as The Gallery. They also converged on Gimbels Department Store located in the same area. Ingress and egress to both The Gallery and Gimbels was rendered difficult and, at times, impossible, by the group's activities.

The defendant and three to five hundred (300 to 500) of the demonstrators then entered The Gallery and marched throughout the mall shouting in loud voices and bringing business therein to a virtual standstill. The defendant spoke to the throng with the aid of sound amplification equipment and urged a boycott of the businesses in the mall.

*60 A temporary restraining order was promulgated by the court below on August 26, 1978, and on January 31, 1979, the court below entered an order enjoining the defendant and the persons acting in concert with him from "picketing, handbilling, speechmaking, demonstrating, and boycotting inside or outside The Gallery or Gimbels . . ." The court defined the area from which defendants were enjoined from engaging in the aforesaid activities as "the public areas therein [The Gallery and Gimbels], or any of the three colonnades located outside the entrance to Gimbels, or the exterior courtyard area, or the sidewalk which forms the immediate perimeter surrounding The Gallery, Gimbels and Strawbridge Store."

On February 22, 1979, the defendant and thirty-seven (37) other persons were arrested at The Gallery for allegedly violating the January 31, 1979 injunction decree. A hearing was then held at which witnesses testified that: Street and two hundred and fifty (250) to three hundred (300) people had congregated on the northeast corner of 10th and Market Streets in Philadelphia, in front of The Gallery and Gimbels; they also had congregated on the sidewalk and in the colonnades area of the mall; the group shouted and blocked the entrance to The Gallery and Gimbels; because they stood close together they were successful in preventing people from entering the stores; that during the incident members of the defendant's group chanted and shouted "boycott" to persons attempting to enter The Gallery; that a police officer, who had been empowered to enforce the court order enjoining the demonstration gave the defendant Street and his attorney copies of the January 31, 1979 order; that an officer then read the court order to the group using sound amplification equipment but the group continued to shout and chant "boycott" as the order was read to them; and that after giving the group five minutes to disburse the police arrested defendant Street and thirty-seven (37) of his followers. At the hearing defendant Street was given the opportunity to address the court and informed the court that despite the court order he intended "to go back to The Gallery tomorrow".

*61 On February 23, 1979, defendant Street went to The Gallery again and led a group of demonstrators onto the northeast corner of 10th and Market Streets. After being notified of the defendant's actions the court ordered the arrest of persons violating the January 31, 1979 Order. Street was one of the persons arrested. A hearing was held at 1:30 P.M. on February 23, 1979. Testimony adduced at the hearing revealed that at 11:20 A.M., the defendant led a group of thirty-five (35) protestors to the northwest corner of 10th and Market Streets then crossed the intersection. The group was shouting "boycott, boycott" throughout the incident. As the police attempted to read the court order of January 31, 1979 to them, the group marched east on the north side of Market Street for a distance of approximately twenty (20) feet then turned around and marched back to the northeast corner. This area lies in front of The Gallery. The defendant then led his group to a SEPTA boarding island which runs east to west in the 900 block of Market Street on the north side and is about twenty (20) feet from the sidewalk. During this period the group continued to chant "boycott, boycott, boycott The Gallery", which chanting was clearly audible to persons located at the entrances to and on the sidewalk in front of The Gallery. At this point defendant and his followers were arrested.

After the hearing, the defendant was found in civil contempt of court and was committed for ninety (90) days, conditioned upon his right to purge himself of the contempt by assuring the court that he would, in the future, abide by the court order until such order was vacated or stayed. He was also fined Five Thousand ($5,000) Dollars. On February 26, 1979, Street filed an appeal to this Court.

Defendant's first argument is that the court order prohibiting the "picketing, handbilling, speechmaking, demonstrating and boycotting of The Gallery" constituted an unconstitutional violation of defendant's First Amendment rights of freedom of speech and expression. Defendant's brief states at length defendant's belief that certain federal monies used in the construction of the downtown shopping *62 mall should have been used instead to provide for low-income housing for residents of North Central Philadelphia. Defendant also claims that his protest was justifiable because he was protesting the fact that only one business in the mall was black owned. Defendant claims that since The Gallery is owned by The Redevelopment Authority of Philadelphia (RDA) that his boycott was one of a public building. However, the RDA leased the mall to Rouse Corporation for ninety-nine (99) years and Rouse, in turn, rents individual space within the mall to ninety-four (94) private owners. Thus, it is apparent that The Gallery is indeed comprised of ninety-four (94) private businesses and boycotting or picketing of it constitutes the boycotting or picketing of private business. Gimbels and Strawbridge and Clothier are private businesses and own the buildings adjacent to the mall in fee simple. Under such circumstances we find that the demonstrations in question were clearly directed at private businesses.

Defendant also argues that the court order was not lawful because the objective of the boycott was "to communicate a message to government regarding the expenditure of public monies". At the various hearings held on this matter it was shown that: the demonstrators shouted and chanted so loudly that normal conversation was impossible anywhere in the vicinity; that the group occupied virtually all of the walkways, stairs, and escalators in The Gallery; that the demonstrators carried umbrellas and signs which they brandished in a vigorous fashion; that a group of the demonstrators sat down and sprawled in the walkways of The Gallery and in the "Market Fair" area of the mall which is an area containing approximately twenty (20) fast food restaurants in the western end of the mall; that when so situated they listened to and gave speeches over amplifying equipment and stood on tables in the restaurants thereby denying patrons of ingress and egress to the area; that as a result of this activity shops in the mall closed, patrons left the area and business in the mall and other stores was brought to a virtual standstill. It was also shown that on *63 certain occasions during the demonstration several demonstrators had entered a McDonald's restaurant in the mall and had told patrons that the food was horsemeat and had maggots in it. At a bakery in the mall (Tiffany's) disparaging remarks about the quality of food were also made to the store's patrons and one demonstrator stuck her finger in her nose and then touched the produce. Several demonstrators had engaged in violent incidents during the picketing. One demonstrator, a Terrence Potter, had tripped the owner of the bakery during a demonstration. A group of demonstrators then gathered in front of the bakery and shouted obscene comments and racial slurs at the owner. Potter had also threatened to beat up another merchant in the mall. Another demonstrator, Harry Miller, had threatened to break a merchant's jaw. A group of demonstrators also threatened an elderly female patron of the mall telling her to get out of there "while she could still walk". The demonstrators also ignited a number of fires throughout the mall by igniting the refuse in trash receptacles located throughout the mall. It was also proven that Street had forged a copy of the court order of October 6, 1978 and had distributed copies of the forged order throughout the throng. The forged document distorted the court order so as to convey the impression that it was leafletting material. Street and other demonstrators had given several speeches in which they stated that the purpose of the demonstration was to bankrupt merchants in The Gallery and Gimbels. They also demanded "reparations" from Rouse, Gimbels and the other merchants. They demanded that appellees pay money to black, Spanish-speaking and poor white neighborhoods as "reparations" for the money spent by the Redevelopment Authority on the mall.

[snip]

#581 Jayfar, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  12. krapug11

krapug11 Active Member

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Here's a bit of nostalgia from a couple years before my arrival on the shores of Philly. 1978, when the Gallery I at Market East was shiny and new:

Rouse Philadelphia Inc. v. Ad Hoc'78"

It was nothing short of amazing that Rouse even went through with The Gallery, and even continued with The Gallery II addition.
    Before all these demonstrations broke out, Rouse was threatened by the Philly Mob for not using "their"contractors.
    Rouse went to the FBI with this, and was one of the first major developers to fight back against them.

Ken

13. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

But, as a result, major concessions were made for the Gallery II in terms of minority participation.

14. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Jayfar likes this.
  15. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

This explains the many challenges of repopulating the Gallery, when so many unknowns are still shaking out.

RIP ToysRUs btw.

16. Notcom

Notcom Version 2.0

Although it's possible to give that subtext to the phrase, I take it more to mean "captive audience". They're probably thinking along the line of something like this San Francisco Ferry Building ...to which I would ad "Good luck with that!!", but it's probably the hope, anyway.

17. MackeyDingo

I'm just not sure that everything has a secret crypto-racist meaning embedded in it. Regarding race, black and brown people commute as well. Regarding age, yeah, keep the kids away. Kids act stupidly, and have very little money to begin with. There's no upside to attracting kids to the mall. This is about money. To the extent that "commuters" have more money, and people with more money tend to be white or Asian or whatever, that's an ancillary fact, although its true and its a huge problem, its not the basis of the "commuter focused" comment. And its not going to be solved or made worse by this train-station food court.

It makes total sense to target commuters. It would really stupid not to. Most of them are on the way home from work, probably hungry, and stressed from work, studies show all these things lower people's ability to contain their impulses. And they are captive audience as they sit and wait for their inevitably delayed train.

18. therealdawk

therealdawk Well-Known Member

Honest to goodness if I was operating this new Mall there would be Baroque music and the like lowly playing from the speakers. Make the atmosphere as "corny" as possible to those kids. Food court, bathrooms, everywhere you go would sound like the opening of Trading Places (Le Nozze di Figaro).

MackeyDingo likes this.
  19. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

I was never crazy about the brutalist element of the Gallery, but it's a product of its era. It's also the most architecturally interesting part of this beast. Why they're covering the two ground floors with what look like mix-matched tile remnants is beyond me. Being an ugly building was bad enough. Now it just looks schizophrenic.

Titus likes this.
  20. MackeyDingo

21. londoner

londoner Well-Known Member

The thing is... the schizophrenia of it isn't the worst part - it's the materials. If they kept the upper portions the same but used really sleek cool glass/metal etc. on the bottom floors (similar to the ground floor of East Market) it would still be schizophrenic but it wouldn't look half bad. Walk around Walnut Street, half of the buildings have interesting historic top sections - and a more modern/updated storefront at street level. It can feel disjointed but if the quality is there at ground level it works (NYC does this in spades, by the way). The choice of these awkward square tiles plus the overly neutral color scheme just come off really poorly - it feels both dated and cheap simultaneously. The fact is PREIT isn't a high-end, high-taste urban developer - they own malls (where cultural and idea go to die) - but for reasons that suck for the city they came to OWN massive multi-block chunks of the most prime real estate in the city. We reap what we sow - and we sowed some dumb shit by building that shit hole to begin with - and then doubled down on handing the keys to a talentless mall landlord.

Titus and Jayfar like this.
  22. londoner

londoner Well-Known Member

^^^My only hope with this dreary reality is that the digital signage is both large, bright, hi-rez, well accomplished and negates all the shitty design. I will say, after what I've witnessed thus far, I don't have a ton of hope tho. Fingers crossed.

23. MackeyDingo

fingers cross d? i think with eyes cross you’d have more luck.
    :D

londoner likes this.
  24. lemonfresh

lemonfresh Well-Known Member

Is anything happening at the space that used to be Burlington? Every time I'm at that corner, it looks the same as it did the previous time, like there's been no progress at all. Admittedly, I'm usually there after 5:00, so any work for the day would have stopped.

25. New2Fishtown

New2Fishtown Well-Known Member

Some may have noticed that they erected an enormous crane through the center of the former Burlington building, so I wouldn't call that nothing. Just because you can't see changes on the facade doesn't mean a lot isn't happening behind the scenes. The crane appears to be to facilitate the increase in height and re-engineering of that portion to accommodate the AMC theater on the upper floors. So if nothing else, I'd say that's an indication that they are moving ahead with that component of the project, however slowly.

On a different front, this could be a great get for the project if it comes through: City Winery may join lineup at Fashion District Philadelphia Definitely upscale, would draw people there in the evenings along with the theater to create something that feels a lot more dynamic than a mall.

fiveomar likes this.
  26. krapug11

krapug11 Active Member

Now that we are well into May, any ideas on when the Fashion District will finally announce a tenant list ??

OR

Is it time to start a pool on what date the next delay in opening will be ?

Ken

PS. City Winery is interesting potential tenant, here in Boston it is a popular draw as they often book geezer acts as headliners, and
    what I mean are acts that the post 50 year old crowd gets into. Would that work in Center City ?

Scoats likes this.
  27. OldePhila

OldePhila Active Member

Ken,

Alas still no tenant list. But thanks for always keeping Philadelphia Speaks abreast of all the fabulous amenities in Boston.

28. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Sure, bring on Wayne Newton if they can tear him away from Vegas for a few shows. :p

29. krapug11

krapug11 Active Member

Even City Winery has standards...................

30. krapug11

krapug11 Active Member

My pleasure, I would love to elaborate more, but Skip and Muffy just called, they have been house bound in Beacon Hill on this rainy
    Saturday, so we agreed to meet them for proper preppy cocktails, at the proper preppy Fairmont Hotel, to lift their spirits back
    to proper preppy levels.

In the meantime, here is the City Winery website.

City Winery | Boston | Live Shows, Dining & Winemaking

Ken