The Gallery Renovation

Discussion in 'Center City' started by Phillyurban8, Sep 23, 2015.

1. New2Fishtown

New2Fishtown Well-Known Member

BCF looks ready to open within a week or so. Eager to see their 11th street space get stripped and for the final phase of the project to get into legitimate construction.

2. Notcom

Notcom Version 2.0

Tsk, tsk, tusk

A little respect. please, his name is Il Porcellino The Gallery Mega-Thread

It's true that there's a rumour that C21 will expand into this area, but it was also, I believe, the entrance to the Inky offices for a while, so perhaps you're just seeing the leftover from that ?? (He also had the big Five-Oh last year A Guide to Philadelphia's Public Art by Margot Berg, City of Philadelphia's Public Art Director so perhaps it's from the party o_O )

OldePhila, Hospitalitygirl and Jayfar like this.
  3. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Market East is getting built out faster then I thought, we just need 8th and Market south side to fill in and it'd be perfect...

4. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

The mural that was in Gallery II has a new home:

[​IMG]

Nytecat, Hospitalitygirl and Jayfar like this.
  5. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

That's great news! Thanks!

6. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

mmhm. I'm just glad to see it made the journey without breaking...lol

Nytecat and Jayfar like this.
  7. Shadowbat

Shadowbat Well-Known Member

Burlington is now open, pretty nice so far. Also the stretch or concourse under Market Street has reopened in that area has reopened....

8. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

I looks okay inside but the outside looks like just another CVS. If that's the exterior upgrade for the Gallery it will be crappy.

fiveomar likes this.
  9. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Curtain is raised on movie multiplex plans at reborn Gallery mall | Philly.com

AMC Theatres thinks Center City is ready for the big screen. Eight of them.

The Leawood, Kan.-based theater chain plans to open an eight-screen multiplex in the reborn Gallery at Market East shopping mall, as central Philadelphia’s growing population and affluence makes it the latest U.S. downtown to draw movie exhibitors’ attention.

AMC’s location at the Center City project, to be called Fashion District Philadelphia, will feature reclining chairs, food and drink for in-seat nibbling, and two auditoriums that support premium-format screenings, Dan Ellis, the company’s senior vice president for domestic development, said Monday.

[snip]

The Center City theater complex planned by AMC, a unit of Beijing-based conglomerate Wanda Group, is to open on the third floor of the westernmost portion of the former Gallery mall, an area recently vacated when clothing discounter Burlington Stores Inc. moved to another part of the property.

Renovation for the theater space will involve raising the mall section’s roof to accommodate the auditoriums’ stadium seating, said Joseph Coradino, chief executive of Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust, which is redeveloping the property with Macerich of Santa Monica.

[snip]

#519 Jayfar, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  10. MackeyDingo

MackeyDingo REALLY Well-Known Member

"…I was a Flower of the mountain yes
    when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used
    or shall I wear a red yes
    and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall
    and I thought well as well him as another
    and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes
    and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower
    and first I put my arms around him yes
    and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes."
    -- James Joyce, Ulysses (1922)

11. Alley

Alley Well-Known Member

I wish the new sidewalks being put in along this stretch were nicer. So far all I'm seeing is plain old boring concrete sidewalks. Wish they would add some red brick or some kind of beauty. There are bigger issues in the world I know!

12. londoner

londoner Well-Known Member

I don't disagree.

I hope the exterior really feels invested in once this is done. I think the LED screens will really add some life and brightness and modern-ness to the experience, but its the small details like exterior cladding, window choice, and landscaping that can elevate the project.

13. OldePhila

OldePhila Active Member

#523 OldePhila, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  14. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

Brick is overrated. I would be thrilled with cleaned and well-maintained sidewalks. (Also, brick is really slippery when a little snow and ice hits it.)

Titus likes this.
  15. Nytecat

Nytecat Well-Known Member

I took a quick walk through Burlington's subway concourse. It definitely looks contemporary. I just hope the all white decor doesn't look as dated thirty years from now as the old Gallery does today. But that's the in look for retail right now. The new World Trade Center mall in New York is all white as well.

I was hoping they'd keep a small original wall section with the Strawbridge & Clothier drumhead intact. If they do, it will be in the vestibule with SEPTA's 8th Street sales office.

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  16. OldePhila

OldePhila Active Member

I just wanted to add that MSC retail brokered the AMC deal with PREIT. Anyone interested in this project should take a look at MSC's web page to see other retail representation they are responsible for. Many people would be pretty delighted if MSC could find some space for some of their other clients at the mall remodel. ;)

#526 OldePhila, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  17. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

18. daninpa

daninpa Cheesesteak GURU!

Hgirl, they have them up for Columbus Day weekend! www.c21stores.com

19. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

Thank you!!

20. Notcom

Notcom Version 2.0

What ?? FOOD HALL isn't a brand of stiletto ??

You're on the line now HG: since we know where you'll be spending your time (and $$$) this weekend we'll be expecting you to "get lost" thru some back door and return with a report on how the remodellng of the rest of the first floor is coming along ;)

21. krapug11

krapug11 New Member

Heres a question for the group.

On a Department Store History Blog, someone posted couple pictures of the new Burlington store stating that
    at least part of it is in what was the lower level (Budget Store for we older folks) of Strawbridge & Clothier.

Is that correct ?

Ken

22. New2Fishtown

New2Fishtown Well-Known Member

The vast vast majority of the store is. Not sure if these are the final square footages they settled on, but about 9,000 sf is at street level, and about 76,000 square feet is below. So sort of like C21 in reverse, but even more of an extreme. Their footprint at street level is essentially just the Walgreens space that occupied the corner previously. The store then opens into common mall area as you head up 9th street, and then the northern third of that block is reserved for restaurants facing Filbert.

23. Phillyurban8

Phillyurban8 Well-Known Member

^This. The Burlington exterior looks REALLY BAD like a Cherry Hill strip mall. I mean, it's trying to be urban but in the way someone from Des Moines might interpret "urban."

And there is no relation to the structure/façade above so the overall result is discombobulated.

I really thought the Gallery would get a slick urban skin but its about as sophisticated as an Orange Julius.

DCnPhilly likes this.
  24. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

The materials they used around this part of the Gallery just look cheap. The tiles look like remnants. There are several types of tile that don't really match, and they seem to be used to cover structural components rather than provide any cohesive aesthetic. It's like they hired some contractor who's used to converting South Philly row homes. The colors are as bland as they come. I think it would have been cool if they used vibrantly colored tiles like the ones in the subway and Market East Station.

The windows on the second floor aren't really what they should be IMO either. Instead of sheathing the facade in glass, they cut openings in the panels for the windows. I get that the parts without glass are structural, but the skin of the building isn't, only the beams behind it. There's no reason glass couldn't have been applied to the entirety of the upper floor. I mean, that's exactly what all modern glass buildings do.

That said, the Filbert Street side is getting some brick treatment with windows on the ground floor that doesn't look half bad.

25. MackeyDingo

MackeyDingo REALLY Well-Known Member

This slur against Orange Julius is deeply offensive. It may not be the most sophisticated of counter-serving blended juice chains, but it makes a devilishly good drink. Devilishly good.

londoner likes this.
  26. daninpa

We went to the C21 store by the Trade Center last month... very hectic and although it's six floors and has a huge men's section, we didn't find much we wanted. We prefer the Philly location. I know NY has other locations but it was overload at the flagship.

27. Shadowbat

Shadowbat Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff I came across:

Read more at Real Estate Forecast for 2018: Mostly Sunny, With a Few Clouds

28. daninpa

Big news... wonder what company

29. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

30. Notcom

Notcom Version 2.0

Maybe the Dem's have rented it for an Election Night Party ( Black Tie vs. black future ??)
    If so I hope PREIT got a hefty deposit :D