The Gallery Renovation

Discussion in 'Center City' started by Phillyurban8, Sep 23, 2015.

1. MarketStEl

MarketStEl Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash

"You're washing vermicelli in an embassy den."

2. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

PREIT Chief Says New Fashion Outlets Mall is 70 percent committed | Philly.com
    But no signed leases yet?

#452 Jayfar, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    fiveomar likes this.
  3. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

4. Nytecat

Nytecat Well-Known Member

Does anybody sign leases before a firm opening date is set? Another thing is that most chains who want to be in Center City are already there. How many retailers would consider Center City to be a two store market??

5. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

Uniqlo could easily be a two store Center City occupant. H&M is.

6. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Shit, H&M can be a THREE store company in Philly...

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  7. Nytecat

H&M? Well, they're that one of a kind store. We're gonna need more like them or we'll have a lot of retail vacancies in Center City when all is said and done.

8. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Yeah, plus we got plenty of store brands that haven't enter center city yet, two big ones that every mall must have is the Lego store and American Girl. Both of them are going to land somewhere in the Market East shopping district in the next three years.

Nike still needs a store here, and I can see Adidas coming back after leaving South Street...

and with the Movie Tavern like theater coming to most of the upper third floors, it not that hard to fill.

9. Nytecat

Hopefully you're right. Nationally, retail real estate is in a state of upheaval right now. Center City hasn't been as over-retailed as most of its peers which might translate into less of an adverse impact locally.

10. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

I've been to malls in different parts of the world (Japan, Singapore, Colombia, Morocco--they aren't so prevalent in Europe) and malls seem to have more than just stores in those countries. Movie theaters are quite common. Sometimes you'll even find an aquarium, I think that was in Morocco. And sections of the mall devoted to games such a those which you'd find in a Dave and Buster's.

I guess American malls need to evolve more, and perhaps this is something Philadelphia can achieve?

phillyaggie and Jayfar like this.
  11. PaulG

PaulG Well-Known Member

I could see an LA Fitness or another gym taking over a space on the upper floors. It's one of those types of business that will draw people up at all times of the day and help shops around it get foot traffic.

12. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Already happening out in Plymouth Meeting, also own by PREIT, so it is possible.

If they can convince D&B to movie to Market St away from the River, that'd be a huge change.

13. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

If you wonder how big the billboards on the fashion outlets will be, wonder no more:

[​IMG]

The white squares represent the placement of the future ads

14. londoner

londoner Well-Known Member

^^^^Already an improvement!

I'm getting more and more excited for this. The building is scheduled to be completed in about a year - don't they need to have some tenant confirmations when they begin to start fitting stuff out in a few months?

15. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

East Market has one confirmed tenant and they are going to be open this year, so no, its not the end of the world if they don't share who is moving in anytime soon....

16. Debbie

Debbie Well-Known Member

I wish Boscov's would open a store in Center City. They're much better than Macy's.

17. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

Probably not likely at this time. Boscov's is proceeding more cautiously following their back from the dead experience of several years ago. I imagine a lot could change, now that Jim Boscov has taken over from his late uncle, the legendary Al Boscov, but I can't see them taking a lot of risks at this point.

Honoring Albert Boscov: His rescue of bankrupt department store chain ranks as retailing fairy tale

#467 Jayfar, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  18. Notcom

Notcom Version 2.0

You might remember this was a popular sentiment when the whole saga began ....more than a decade ago The Gallery Mega-Thread (#527)
    (I'm not sure how old you are...maybe you weren't even born yet :rolleyes:)

Anyway, the hope was for them to take the Strawbridge's space; that's largely gone, but I guess the whole rest of the mall is available.

19. londoner

londoner Well-Known Member

I do know Boscov's is keenly aware of its lack of millenial appeal/market share and are looking at ways to get younger shoppers in the door.

Perhaps a simple way to do it would be to locate where college students and millenials, ya know, actually live...

20. MarketStEl

MarketStEl Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash

From the article, written while Boscov was still alive:

The article was written four years ago. Looks like Boscov was right to take the odds.

Now, as londoner notes, the challenge is to refashion the store for a new generation of shoppers.

Jayfar likes this.
  21. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

I'm sure they know where the Millennials are, but less how to appeal to them. Last time I was in one it looked more like a JCPenny than the kind of place Beats wearing kids far hipper than me would ever shop.

22. krapug1

krapug1 Well-Known Member

23. MNG1324

MNG1324 Well-Known Member

At the latest propaganda speech by Preit....oops I mean quarterly investor meeting they mentioned they are looking into adding a residential high-rise to the Gallery project(sorry I can't call it Fashion Outlets of Philadelphia because this will always be called the Gallery).

24. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

as seen in the last time they put out graphics:

[​IMG]

Jayfar likes this.
  25. boognish

boognish Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, the Boscov's was where I went to get my OP and Coca-Cola gear. I haven't set foot in one in almost 30 years.

DCnPhilly likes this.
  26. Shadowbat

Shadowbat Well-Known Member

27. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

28. MackeyDingo

MackeyDingo REALLY Well-Known Member

I predict this construction will never be finished.

I can't wait to be proven wrong.

29. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Bye Bye Ticker scroll...

[​IMG]

30. phillyaggie

phillyaggie Well-Known Member

Amazon is eating the lunch of many retail chains. May be it's a blip, but for going on more than a year now, retail stores have been reporting lower sales and obviously lower profits and even losses.

Sports retailers have gone out of business or retrenched big time. Cabela's getting bought by Bass Pro. Finish Line retrenching. Dick's Sporting Goods retrenching. The owner of Eastern Mountain Sports (also owning Sports Chalet and Bob's) filing bankruptcy.

Macy's shuttering stores.

Gap/BR/Old Navy/Athleta... not doing so well, shutting stores because already have too many... going "multi-channel."

Ralph Lauren in trouble.

Michael Kors in trouble; Kate Spade just got bought out by Coach.

America is over-retailed and it seems more and more categories are getting killed by Amazon***. Only stuff growing is categories that can't be "Amazon'd"... paint stores and other home-deco places; dollar stores on the cheap end, and luxury brands on the high end such as Tiffany.

*** I should note that while America as a whole may be over-retailed, retailers have only recently "discovered" the young, growing, educated, and better-off demographics of Center City area after the last decadal Census and the related push by CCD to market the neighborhood and the city as a whole to national brands. That has already led to the rebirth of blocks of Chestnut St and Walnut east of Broad. Perhaps there is still more gasoline in the tank... But Philly better retain and grow that demographic...or else it'll be hard to get retailers to bite when they're shuttering stores and reducing headcount.
    (even the banks are closing bank branches, going by the latest story in the Inky, albeit you would be hard pressed to know that going by the number of bank store fronts in Center City!)

#480 phillyaggie, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017