The Gallery Renovation

Discussion in 'Center City' started by Phillyurban8, Sep 23, 2015.

1. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Also added branding to the western side of the Old Galery:

[​IMG]

Logo and tagline:

[​IMG]

2. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Lol someone will be upset when they try to get their nails done.

Speaking if people are still trying to go through where they closed off Tiffanys, it's fun to watch ppl see the area closed off and turn around

3. Notcom

Notcom Version 2.0

Or maybe Burnt Umber ??

Anyway, wouldn't it be kewl if PREIT purchased the fountain (shown above) and installed it next to Il Porcellino ?!?! A Shopping Menagerie Hall of Fame: inspiring, depressing or just plain weird...depending on your viewpoint.

4. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

Maybe PREIT can start a new architectural salvage trend. But instead of getting pieces from places like Penn Station and the Divine Lorraine, they get stuff from dead malls. I can't wait to see a busted Peeble's sign flanking the entrance to the next trendy restaurant :p

5. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

I call this the "Break the Walls Down" Phase....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is where the Pub is going to be put at...

[​IMG]

6. MarketStEl

MarketStEl Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash

There's a pub going in at the SWC 10th and Filbert?

Aren't those louvers vent shafts from the Commuter Tunnel? If so, where are they gonna shoehorn the restaurant in?

7. New2Fishtown

New2Fishtown Well-Known Member

SE corner. They won't touch the SW corner.

Jayfar likes this.
  8. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Oops, yeah I was looking at the angle wrong in the render:

[​IMG]

Jayfar likes this.
  9. DCnPhilly

I don't mind the brutal upper floors, but all those windows on the street will be such a welcome change! Can't imagine what they were thinking back in the '70s. Thanks a lot, disco and cocaine.

Jayfar likes this.
  10. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

They didn't care about the outside because everyone was suppose to be inside the Mall
    [​IMG]

11. DCnPhilly

It's funny, today someone at RTM asked me if there was a mall around here. I wanted to say, "yeah, it's called the city." But I politely pointed them to Macy's and Walnut Street.

12. PhilaTransplant

PhilaTransplant Well-Known Member

Mixi, thanks for all the update pictures of FOP.
    On another note, I am LOVING this picture from the 80s above.
    I am always fascinated with pictures from 70s and 80s. I always wonder how people lived around that time.

13. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

We survived.

Hospitalitygirl and mixiboi like this.
  14. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Its always fun to see Philly in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Look at the Gallery then, it didn't even HAVE the square windows it does now...

15. Shadowbat

Shadowbat Well-Known Member

I remember when they cut those windows in, when the space was converted into Health Partners in the mid 2000's....

mixiboi likes this.
  16. PhilaTransplant

For some reason I always have this "idealistic" views of the 70s, 80s and to some extent early 90s. Like everybody was happy, life was simpler, etc. Although I know on the back of my mind that it is not true: racial prejudice was probably more than what we experience today, LGBTs had no voice let alone equal rights, houses with asbestos siding, smoking everywhere inside public spaces, etc. etc.

17. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Well, racial prejudice hasn't gone away really, life is better for LGBT folks, true, and some things have improved, but with the advent of the internet and smart phone people have grown self obsessed - some things about life in the dark ages were better and life moved at a slower and less dystopian pace.

DCnPhilly and Jayfar like this.
  18. DCnPhilly

Titus nailed it about the internet and smart phones. Things might be "better," but they feel infinitely worse because the bad is delivered straight to our pocket nonstop.

That said, there are definitely aspects of the 70s, 80s, and 90s that felt idyllic, or more idyllic than now even with regard to the internet, and I think the best way to describe it is "naive." But not in a bad way. In some regard it's just a matter of looking to the past with rise colored glasses, but I do think people were happier and things were simpler.

A lot of that has to do with the internet and a 24 hour newsfeed. But it was also as I remember it, especially in the 90s, there was a great amount of optimism leading up to the turn of the millennium. A lot of that was fueled by technology that was truly reshaping society in a way unseen since the Industrial Revolution. But also a lot of hope.

I don't know how old you are or what you remember, but I don't remember being such a pessimist when I was in college in the '90s. I'm gay, I had just come out, and it wasn't easy, but at the same time I loved every minute of it. I feel more accepted now than I did back then, but as weird as it was, back then it just felt better.

People weren't scared or offended when I came out to them, they were just inquisitive. They asked awkward, completely inappropriate questions, and I didn't go on some message board and b*tch about it. We empathized and answered. People were more straightforward. Now, people are afraid to say anything without a keyboard.

19. PhilaTransplant

I like the term you used: people were more "naive" back then and to some extent less informed.
    But the advance of technology nowadays could also lead to lots of misinformation.

I was born in 1989. So I was still a toddler during early 90s.
    In term of social progression, I heard lots of ugly stories of more racism and of course homophobia back then.
    For my generations and generation after me, we were/are spoon-fed with TV shows and medias that promotes equality for all. Shows like Glee and Teen Wolf for example. And older shows like Will and Grace.

DCnPhilly likes this.
  20. DCnPhilly

Well, I had a long, rambling response drafted until I remembered we were in The Gallery Renovation thread :p

I totally agree, though, TV has come a long way. And things are empirically better for LGBT people today. I can't speak for racial or religious minorities, but I think one commonality is that with a lot of good comes a lot of bad. When we progress, opposition inevitably gets more vocal as well.

I felt more comfortable being gay in the '90s because we were still in a bit of a cocoon. Naive people could ask awkward and inappropriate questions, but it just meant they were curious enough to be cool. In the absence of any real public information - sitcoms, cable news, the internet - bigots could easily bury their heads in the sand and pretend the '90s were the '50s.

It's no longer like that, for the greater better, but for the personally more frustrating. Bigots can't bury their heads in the sand anymore, and we really can't either. We have to hear everything they say about us. We're not an underground community on the fringe of society anymore, we're a "threat" to those 1950s ideals. We're "in everyone's faces" with our gayness, simply because we have the audacity to be out.

One thing I do think remains constant is that reasonable people are good people. Whether it's racial, religious, your sexual orientation or your gender identity, I believe reasonable people simply don't give a ****, and ultimately want others to be happy as they are. I really believe that has held constant throughout time, whether it was the '20s, '90s, or today. They might not hop on a Pride parade float or organize a local chapter of PFLAG, though plenty will, but good people are good. They might not be the loudest, but they outnumber most.

Titus likes this.
  21. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Good Bye atrium(That is what the Gallery entrance was suppose to be right?):

[​IMG]

Scoats likes this.