The Future of 30th Street Station

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Transportation & SEPTA' started by mixiboi, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

Um, what?

http://www.septa.org/stations/rail/30th.html

2. Burholme06

Burholme06 Well-Known Member

I think he might mean that you have to leave the station, walk outside, cross the street and then go down to get to the El and the trolleys. There was a tunnel that connected the two but has been closed since I don't know when.

3. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

The El and Trolleys, ok. SEPTA Regional Rail, no. I am curious about the tunnel you mention however.

Although even for the El/Trolleys, crossing the street is still not the end of the world. Compare, for example, the longer outdoor walk between NY Penn Station and the 33rd Street station of the NJ PATH.

4. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

and the new plans have a new underground concourse that would connect the Subway to 30 St direct...

5. Burholme06

Burholme06 Well-Known Member

My understanding was that the stairs down to the tunnel were where the current Bridgewater Pub is located. The tunnel tied in next to the elevator at the bottom of the stairs to access the El/Trolleys.

I agree that it's no big deal crossing the street as long as it's not raining.

6. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

I believe the escalators came up where bridgewaters was and the staircase was separate. on the SEPTAthat is exactly right, the tunnel is behind the partitions you see when you look down the stairs. in addition to the tunnel there is an underground concourse that runs the length of the station connecting to every lower level platform.

7. bonzombiekitty

bonzombiekitty Well-Known Member

I agree. I think the cost of reopening the tunnel would be a lot, when you could probably just put something over the outdoor path to protect from the rain.

8. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

Does Amtrak have 30th Street on its roadmap? The scaffolding has been up for a while, but at this point I think it's just a safety precaution to keep stone from falling on people. It doesn't look like they're planning on renovating anytime soon.

9. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

From what I remember they are just waiting for funding...

10. eldondre

You mean handout, they receive funding every year. It's despicable that they're letting this sit

11. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

One weekend about 2 months ago they had the area around southwest corner blocked off and a crane or lift (I forget which, maybe both) on-site; it appeared they were doing emergency repairs or stabilization on a small part of the facade near that corner. I didn't have a chance to eyeball it up close, since I was rushing to catch my train.

12. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

from 2013:

Restoration of 30th St. Station's exterior to start soon

13. eldondre

like I said

14. eldondre

15. phillyaggie

phillyaggie Well-Known Member

is this in anyway related to the 40-year buildout around 30th st station, the renderings for which came out a few days ago?

the "castles in air" plans are pretty fantastic... i only wish the plan itself didn't call for such a long timeframe.

16. phillyaggie

phillyaggie Well-Known Member

17. DCnPhilly

As far as I know, this plan does cap Amtrak's tracks.

18. nanyika

nanyika Well-Known Member

At the 30th St. District Plan presentation today, an AMTRAK person answered some questions I had about the plan to re-link 30th St. Station with the subway and trolleys via an underground passage: The current plan is to re-open the entrance stairs inside the Bridgewater bar, at the southwestern corner of the station. That would be the only entrance to the subway from inside the building. The steps would have to be supplemented with an elevator, for ADA purposes. The stairs would then lead to a large "promenade," with shops and a large open skylight. From that point, the route is still being worked out since the way to the subway platforms is interrupted by an AMTRAK line that cuts on an angle below 30th St. In the past, people in the underground concourse had to make their way under the rail line, climb stairs to the level of the fare gates (you can see the steps today although they are sealed off), and then descend once again to the platforms. Under the proposed plan, there would be an attempt to minimize the up and down climbing; perhaps minimum-incline ramps could be utilized instead of stairs.

19. eldondre

The primary purpose of the old concourse was to connect to lower level platforms rather than septa.
    Fwiw it looks like the bulletin building is staying because it's the first project to happen
    Changing Skyline: Making sense of Philadelphia's many innovation districts

20. MarketStEl

MarketStEl Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash

The Schuylkill Yards plan never called for getting rid of the Bulletin Building. It will just get a new skin.

21. eldondre

They're installing a beer kiosk at the porch.

22. MackeyDingo

MackeyDingo REALLY Well-Known Member

I saw this. That will be a big improvement from the terrible, awful, no good, very bad Bridgewater's Pub.

23. eldondre

What's wrong with Bridgewater s?

DCnPhilly and vampyre927 like this.
  24. DCnPhilly

It existed before the Millennials got here.

25. MackeyDingo

I'm 42.

There may be nothing wrong with Bridgewater's in your (or Eldondre's) opinion.

My opinion is captured in the stupid ripoff joke I made above. Its not for me.

26. eldondre

word is bridgewater's is going to run the kiosk. should open soon so we will see

27. MackeyDingo

That would be fine with me as my issues with Bridgewater's are essentially about the space. Makes sense for them to run it on one level since they are already there.

28. DCnPhilly

Gotcha. I mean it's definitely a product of another time. I've never been the kind of hang out at a bar while waiting for a train, but I always thought it was kinda neat that it's there.

29. eldondre

The bar used to be in the main hall which is where Bridgewaters should be today instead of shoehorned into a corner. Not sure hit it why the stations only bar got moved there