The Downside of Facebook

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CountFunkula, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Brooke

Brooke Well-Known Member

I love the outrage over 25 things. Perhaps Twitter is slightly more narcissistic than Facebook, but regardless, it's a pretty narcissistic site and it's funny that 25 Things is either apparently crosses what line there is left into too much narcissism or that people are annoyed by having to read that long of information about someone else other than themselves.

I enjoyed others' lists. Brought up a lot of funny memories in a few I read.

2. BeBe

BeBe Delete My Profile

I like reading people's lists! I like finding out random stuff like that about people.

The "bail share" one was funny, though...a lot of people didn't want to even do it even though one doesn't name the things one did to be "worth" that much. All of that kind of stuff used to go around on myspace, but there, you NAMED the stuff.
    I have no secrets. (About myself, anyway!)

#32 BeBe, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  3. arlee

arlee Liberty Belle

I don't know what these lists are. I've been pretty much avoiding them. I have caught a lot of grief since I've only been on Facebook for 1 week, and I have more friends than a lot of the friends I have who've been on for years. It's kinda surreal to me, because that is where all of Internet and real worlds intersect. It's like seeing people out of context.

I do think it's funny that I requested B's friendship, and I have a feeling she had no freaking idea who I was and ignored me. I keep forgetting that I've seen you, but you haven't seen me.

4. Malloy

Malloy Administrator
    Staff Member

Stud, you had us all fooled!

5. Malloy

Malloy Administrator
    Staff Member

The folks giving you grief need to find stuff to do in life ;)

Im not sure why I have a FB, but of my ~70 'friends' on there I only talk to 10 weekly. My closest friends don't use it. Not a bad idea to have one up though...its a great networking tool if you don't act like a 17 y/o attn ho.

6. BeBe

BeBe Delete My Profile

HAHAHA!!! I didn't see the request because I have a whole list of stuff in that column that I normally do ignore and 2 other friend requests from guys that don't know ANYONE that I know and I hadn't decide what to do with them. Just looked and saw there were 3 friend requests.:)

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Hooah!!!

Facebook is for teens and college students. Anyone else who uses it after that point in their life needs to get a life ... seriously ...

8. BeBe

BeBe Delete My Profile

Yeah, just like internet forums.:icon_rolleyes:

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Hooah!!!

This is a board where people who don't know each other can share anonymous opinions --it's not a social networking site -- most users will never meet one another in person. :new_jerkit:

10. Brooke

Brooke Well-Known Member

That would be true if a lot of us hadn't met at happy hours.

11. BeBe

BeBe Delete My Profile

...and weren't Facebook friends! :thumbsup:

12. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

Crank all want, crankyside, but it sure does make planning a reunion a whole lot easier. Especially plotting the coup.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Hooah!!!

Define "a lot."

14. ShoshTrvls

ShoshTrvls Well-Known Member

I also like the lists, and I like reconnecting with people from high school and beyond. Maybe, Tenzo, your friends haven't grown up, but mine have and they're a much more interesting lot than they were in high school -- as we all should be.

Sure, not every one of them is going to be my new BFF, but I'm enjoying all the catching up I'm doing.

15. GMonkey

GMonkey ship jumper?

I think that it all depends on how it's used. I don't have random people as my friends. I also have found it useful in tracking down someone who owes child support.

16. arlee

arlee Liberty Belle

I do agree with that. With Myspace, I met a lot of new people through there and subsequently added them. I am much less likely to do that with Facebook.

17. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Professor Ornery

That's it exactly, Shosh.

18. CountFunkula

CountFunkula Well-Known Member

I feel a bit uncomfortable being Super-poked by guys.

Facebook baffles me at times. It feels like getting a lot of junk mail and searching for one letter that could be meaningful.

As far as those lists are concerned....I know a certain person that did a Bail post that still has most of Market East blushing. Who knew.

19. cerberus413

cerberus413 Banned

My 2 cents on facebook:

Ive reconnected with hundreds or people from grade school, HS and college as well as the military....plus family members so I like it....and it is way more "adult" then myspace.

20. GMonkey

GMonkey ship jumper?

Do you belong to "Together We Served"?

21. BeBe

BeBe Delete My Profile

I doubt they got a higher bail post than mine! ;)

22. cerberus413

cerberus413 Banned

Nope.

23. The Adlerian

The Adlerian Banned

That's not what you said when I greased up your balloon-knot last week in Dirty Frank's bathroom and slipped you the hot sausage. You forgot to thank me though.

24. GMonkey

GMonkey ship jumper?

It's a military-based Facebook of sorts.

25. cerberus413

cerberus413 Banned

Im part of a handful of military related groups on facebook already :D

26. CountFunkula

CountFunkula Well-Known Member

Please don't pay him for this post. He can do better. This post was only about the Benjamins.

27. Brooke

Brooke Well-Known Member

You are to be paid double for articulating what everyone else was thinking, Count.

28. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very oldĀ®

I've uncovered a brand new way in which Facebook sucks.

In the past couple months, I noticed that many of my comments to posts were randomly disappearing. Most often I discover it when I go to make a minor edit and get a message that the action could not be completed because the comment had been deleted. I would then look at my activity log and not see the comment listed. The common thread appears to be that these are usually, or maybe always, comments where I've included a link to a news source (generally a reputable one). FB doesn't always delete my comments with links, just sometimes, but often enough that it's seriously stunting the usefulness of my posting in various groups that I am in. I'm guessing this is some sort of badly implemented spam reduction strategy by facebook.

29. phillyaggie

phillyaggie Well-Known Member

I often can't find my own posts on my own fb timeline; i used to post links so that i can have them "saved" and refer back to them later. i think some of the posts get deleted after a few months if nobody reviews or sees those posts in the interim... may be? i don't know.

30. vainpark

vainpark Member

I am starting to stay away from FaceBook these past few months, it's not the same anymore when it first started