The Divine Lorraine

Discussion in 'Fairmount / Spring Garden / Francisville' started by eldondre, Jan 16, 2009.

1. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

Hard to believe that pick Treacy lived in the neighborhood. The building does have a fascinating history. It was one of the first to use then new elevator technology and other modern furnishings such as electricity. The lorraine apartments lasted a coupl decades before becoming a hotel. Interesting that father divine adopted the hotels name rather than simply rebranding it, thus becoming the divine lorraine. If it wasn't for divine and the other religious leader who saved the met we'd have neither, might be total annihilation like the east side of broad from fairmount to poplar. I read an article.with the church leader over at the met and he stated they they were trying to save it by moving in. Hopefully that building can also be saved,. The only opera house with acoustical acclaim

fiveomar likes this.
  2. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

3. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

Blumenfeld seems like the kind of developer that really falls in love with his buildings, and I think that's fantastic. I'm sure he's as calculated a businessman as the next developer, but it's rare to see one so genuinely excited about the buildings he's restoring. The DL had a rough ride, but I don't think it could have ended up in better hands. I hope the same will ring true for the Met.

fiveomar likes this.
  4. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

I don't think he's a calculated businessman, he seems to have vision but after the falling out with pmc he got nothing done. It took a partnership with provide. That being said he does seem to have a genuine interest in the buildings and what he does. 640 wasn't for us but the quality was better than most places we looked at at the time

Tartan69 and fiveomar like this.
  5. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

I'd agree with this, definitely a more accurate statement than mine. Procida seems like a great partner for Blumenfeld. And Blumenfeld seems a little more open to advice than (cough) other certain developers. Procida seems to have a thing for old buildings too. I can't remember if he is involved with the Met too, but he seems like he'd be a good partner in this part of town. I just won't be able to afford it once they're done with it. Hopefully they won't mind me peeking into the DL's lobby once it's done and their open houses thin out :p

Tartan69 and eldondre like this.