1. jonercant

jonercant New Member

Hey I just wanted to know from some knowledgeable people on this forum what the true boundary between crappy WEst Port RIchmond and super-nice East Port Richmond is- as everyone knows, the LandVest story was finalll broken by both the Daily News and City Paper, and hats off to them for preventing the further deterioration of the neighborhood. However, I just don't think Aramingo is the steadfast boundary- just this last Saturday I was meandering up and down the streets around Aramingo on my bike and noticed a few things.
    A block party on Tulip and Auburn was virtually all black, with some two white and Puerto Rican kids running around
    A block party on Cambria and Chatham was all-white
    A block party at Ann and Tulip was pretty mixed.
    Tulip St from Ann to Alleghany didn't look as bad as people said it'd be, and Memphis and Agate actually looked alright.
    A block party at Cedar and Westmoreland was all-white

Although it's very unfortunate, it seems as if the streets in West Port Richmond with the most blight tend to have the most minority residents- it is not racist but they tend to be renters rather than owners and thus have less of a stake in the preservation of a 'tight' Port Richmond. But what I've noticed is the boundary doesnt quite follow Aramingo. So where does it go? I know the blocks between Tulip and Alleghany, east of Ann are part of the Richmond school catchment, does that have something to do with it?

2. uly55es1

uly55es1 “anobium punctatum.â€

3. jonercant

jonercant New Member

There is nothing trolling about this, thank you very much- I live on the east side of Aramingo and I'd like to know where this neighborhood boundary is- I dont think Ill be able to afford the east side anymore and Id like to live on a diverse, yet peaceful block of the western side.

4. PortPennFerry

PortPennFerry Well-Known Member

I don't think it's trolling- its a legitimate question.
    I think anything north of ann, east of the Train tracks is still ok- the catchment for Richmond school is north of cambria, east of ann.
    Sure, some of the renters are the problem, but not all of them- some of them are just hardworking folks trying to buy a house, scammed by Landvest. A white person who doesnt shout out racial slurs wont get harmed in those blocks- while they might be on the other side of Aramingo...

5. Dayman

Dayman Champion of the Sun

There is no west or east Port Richmond (besides geographical terms) - regardless of being oriented "east" or "west" along an axis like Aramingo, it is all still Port Richmond, still one neighborhood. Realtors may want to call parts west of Aramingo West Port Richmond but it's still the same neighborhood. The border of PR and Kensington is the old train tracks on Trenton Ave/ Martha st.

#5 Dayman, Jul 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  6. Salad Days

Salad Days Well-Known Member

Technically Dayman is right, but Aramingo is a psychological boundary, I think west of Aramingo things become a bit more block-to-block. Memphis and Agate are both nice, but segments of Tulip and some other streets are a bit run down.

That being said, east of Aramingo things can still be a bit block-to-block. One house can ruin a block.

7. HomeGirl

HomeGirl Well-Known Member

Agreed. I grew up in PR. No parent in their right mind will let their kid cross Aramingo Ave...so there is a natural boundary / separation / distinction. All of my friends were on the same (east) side as me. When I got older, I had friends on "the other side" but it always seemed like a different neighborhood.

8. Dayman

That part of the neighborhood wasn't that bad fifteen years ago, not bad at all. I agree that Aramingo does serve as a natural barrier, though.

9. billy ross

billy ross Well-Known Member

Coyle's stuff got foreclosed and bought from the bank by a local investor. Find out about him, and you'll know the future of PR.

#9 billy ross, Aug 13, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  10. billy ross

Stay away from Jewtown. At least, until Huntingdon to Lehigh east of Kensington is fully gentrified.

#10 billy ross, Aug 13, 2010
  11. Dayman

12. billy ross

The Disney AME church in the center of Jewtown is obviously an old synagogue. It's an old term, but it describes well that awful area where Kensington meets Port Richmond.

If we're going to still today use perhaps obsolete yet still meaningful and historically rooted names like the Italian Market, Germantown, and Chinatown, I see nothing wrong with similarly using Jewtown.

#12 billy ross, Aug 13, 2010
  13. Dayman

I know the area but never heard it called Jewtown.

14. billy ross

I've known it to be Jewtown for decades, and the city's list of neighborhoods corroborates my understanding of that neighborhood.

I used to do alot of work there, and some of the residents, especially older long term residents, called it Jewtown

15. D-man

D-man Well-Known Member

Don't forget "Little Africa".

16. billy ross

That name's recent, as far as I can tell, although the neighborhood it describes has very deep roots. The present name is, however, quite meaningful. My brother lives immediately adjacent to LA.

#16 billy ross, Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  17. cwd22

cwd22 Well-Known Member

18. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

I recently went to the pet shop at Aramingo and Allegheny and parked on the little street next to the hospital. It didn't look too bad to me.

19. ForeverChanges

ForeverChanges Well-Known Member

Anyone else find the notion of 'stay away from Jewtown' hysterical?

You know how sketchy those Jewish neighborhoods can be!

If your not careful you might end up getting an awesome corned beef sandwich!

20. PortPennFerry

PortPennFerry Well-Known Member

The fact that the area was once predominantly a Jewish neighborhood explains why it's now really the only black/hispanic area of port richmond. Any sociologist will tell you that Jewish residents abandoned their neighborhoods much faster in the period after WWII than their catholic neighbors- that's why everything east of Aramingo is still overwhelmingly white, because this has always been a Polish/Italian/Irish neighborhood. There's a study on the difference between jewish and catholic white flight in Boston when you wikipedia the "mattapan" neighborhood- this was once of a series of consecutive jewish enclaves that underwent white flight in a short 5-yr period in the late 60s and early 70s, while neighboring catholic parishes in dorchester are still overwhelmingly white. The same thing happened in Philly when one looks at the difference between Strawberry Mansion (once all Jewish) vs. Fairmount (overwhelmingly white and catholic today).

21. Sharkfood

Sharkfood Well-Known Member

You can see the same phenomenon in South Philly. The corridor between 5th and 7th Streets was historically a Jewish neighborhood. It is now the most "ghetto" section of the eastern half of South Philly. The Irish east of 5th and the Italians west of 7th held on.

22. ForeverChanges

It'll be interesting to see in ten to twenty years what these current "boundries" look like with the advent of reverse flight, ie. creative-type, college educated, white suburban kids in thier early 20s moving into areas of the city that were once considered blighted and flighted and reshaping the demographics. I guess you could call it textbook gentrification...I'm old enough to remember when Northern Liberties and Graduate Hospital were considered "the ghetto"..Now, I can't afford to live in either!

23. desolate

desolate Double spaced

Forever -

We're out of white trash neighborhoods to gentrify. That's what really went first. You may see places like Mayfair "upscale" before you see the horrible worker housing of kensington be "gentrified"

It's not always location. It's also housing stock. THe proximity of Fishtown seems to outweight the crap housing. Where people are willing to live in more transitional areas like SPruce Hill and Brewerytown for better housing over increased crime.

Not sure you have many areas like tat left.

COuld see your Strayberry Mansion or areas along G-Town Ave over any more worker housing neighborhoods like central North Philly or southwestern "Soutb philly"

24. Dayman

Kensington's housing stock isn't all that bad. I more than imagine it filling up along the EL because of transit proximity.

25. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

I'm not dissagreeing with the concept but I dont think this is the best example to support your case. Although Fairmount may still be a white (not too sure about catholic now) neighborhood today, I would say that less then 10% of its current population has lived there more than 15 years.

None the less, an interesting conversation.

-Chris

26. Boswell

Boswell Well-Known Member

As a member of the 'west pr' I find the whole concept interesting. I live on Tulip between clearfield and allegheny and love it. There are a lot of familys and people who care about our block, the same can't be said for some of the more southerly blocks just north of lehigh. What causes the discrepency? Who knows? Why do some of the residents never change out of their pajamas? Or wear socks and sandals? It becomes a case for sociologists. I do hope that more people wise up, or even move into the neighborhood, just to balance out the drug addled losers who hang out in front of the Mei Mei Grocery and curse at and hit their toddlers.

27. ForeverChanges

I think you'll see an uptick in a better class of people 'discovering' your area in the next few years.

all of the X-factors for gentrification are there.
    Undervalued housing stock, proximity to urban center, Easily displaceable non-owner, low class garbage population. (Sounds harsh, I know, but the 'drug addled losers' you spoke of are usually among the first to get the boot once property owners start smelling serious money, see N. Libs in the late 80's early 90's.)
    Large, affordable spaces usually get scopped up by the "early adopters" who choose to put up with the neighborhood crap in exchange for dirt cheap artist studios, and/or loft spaces. Plus you've got the supposed 'Phase 2' of the Frankford Ave Corridor spruce-up heading your way..So I'd say better days are coming..You just have to sit tight.

28. Sean111222

Sean111222 New Member

Jewtown is between Frankford Ave to Aramingo Ave and Somerset St to Ann St ... I lived here on Cambria and Tulip 1989 to 1997, was always a majority black neighborhood with high crime (drugs, shootings, fights, robberies) drugs were sold out of the Chinese store on Cambria... back in 1996 on the 2200 block Cambria I was one of 4 of 67 households that were white.... one of the other white families man of the house shot a black kid in the leg which caused an all out riot on the block... there were several crackhouses, fights almost daily, in 1994 there was a drive by shooting down Cambria... drug paraphernalia littered the streets... I recently (2018) was there to visit a friend and it not quite as bad but still a rough area... I lived at 16th and York as well as 31st and Diamond and feel Jewtown was the most unsafe and dangerous of the 3 neighborhoods.... I now live out in Bristol Borough (the hood of Bucks Co) the last 2 years....