Tacony - Glass Half Full or Half Empty

Discussion in 'Northeast Philadelphia' started by billy ross, Mar 16, 2017.

1. billy ross

billy ross Well-Known Member

2. Scoats

Scoats Well-Known Member

And she dismissed the 56/El link to CC as well as our proximity to 95 on/off ramps.

She really underplayed how much less expensive homes are here compared to other parts of the city that be honest aren't much better. Some are actually worse.

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  3. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

4. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

56 is so slow.
    pluses: houses, riverfront, train access, decent transit, a lot of park potential, longshore ave
    minuses: for me, I'm not as much of a fan of streetcar shopping districts (torresdale), SEPTA train service lacking (more frequent service would get you to the bsl much faster than the bus), riverfront uses. on the whole there's a lot to like

5. Scoats

Scoats Well-Known Member

Surprisingly at rush hour the 56 + El is faster than 66 + El.

Tacony's shopping isn't destination quality (which is unrealistic), but is very good for quality of life with a solid diner, a surprisingly decent mini-market, a solid Woolworths type store, banks, a post office, seafood store, and take out places.

Septa's express trains skipping over Tacony during rush hour is a real bummer, but that can be fixed.

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  6. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

It's about a third faster on the train to bsl than bus to do if you're going to city hall. I'm not against express trains but septa doesn't run enough service to justify them. With 30th growing as a job center its more important than ever to have a connection to it. It's 45 minutes plus transfer time versus 20 minute one seat ride

7. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

I think what many people don't understand about the neighborhoods in the Lower/Greater Northeast than say the Far Northeast, and many other areas of the city, is that they were built modeling the older neighborhoods of the city, like parts of Center City, S. Philadelphia, and some other CC-adjacent neighborhoods. And that is that they have streets with houses, and more or less "main" streets that serve(d) as shopping corridors for daily life so that you didn't have to travel elsewhere in order to live. Butchers, small grocery stores, produce stores, hardware stores were meant to make daily routines easier, and it's that way in many places outside of the US (I'm thinking of Rome specifically, since in many sections you have all of these and more but if you want fancier shopping you have to go to the bigger districts). Shopping malls and supermarkets changed a lot of this, but you will still see those neighborhood main streets that have hardware stores and dry cleaners (who wants to travel to a dry cleaner?) Think of Bustleton Avenue, Castor Avenue, Rising Sun Avenue, in addition to Frankford and Torresdale Avenues.

I've often wondered how these neighborhoods in the Northeast will fare. They are solid neighborhoods, despite the clamor of some, that provide decent schools, playgrounds, a little more room for families than a lot of S. Philly houses, and are generally very family-friendly. If that reads boring to some, well a lot of families move from their fancy CC and adjacent houses to the suburbs for just that sort of thing. And higher property tax rates than you'll find in places like the NE.

What needs to be addressed and has no easy answers is public transit commuting, and jobs of course.

Nytecat likes this.