Stupid bills introduced by Philadelphia City Council - 2016

Discussion in 'Local and State' started by Tedk, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Scoats

Scoats Well-Known Member

Very few of these sorts of barriers that I have seen seem to be able to stop a bullet.

2. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

Perhaps it's less about stopping bullets, though I suppose that is the desired outcome? I guess they also want to prevent people from reaching over and stealing out of the register?

3. ODragon

ODragon Well-Known Member

My guess is more likely knives, bats, and other non-gun weapons. The additional idea that it might appear to be bullet proof and detour those with guns also is probably a benefit.

A couple of other places pointed out with these: PPA and Train/Subway Stations

Hospitalitygirl and fiveomar like this.
  4. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

This opinion piece written by three members of our city council is emblematic of the race/class "Tale of Two Cities' claptrap that is spewed out every time politicians come up with some new way of redistributing income, wealth, or in this case property.

Mixed-income housing is good for all Philadelphians | Council members

There are so many absurd statements in this piece that I can't call out all of them, but think about this one:

At minimum wage, Philadelphians need to log 128 hours every week to afford a two-bedroom apartment.

So $7.25/hour (minimum wage) X 128 hours/week = $928/week X 50 weeks = $46,400 or $3,866/month. The last time I checked, one can rent a two bedroom house in a decent area in Port Richmond for $1,200 to $1,400 a month.

But $7.25/hour X 60 hours/week works out to $17,400. One can find a decent studio or 1 bedroom for $750/month or $9,000/year.

The reality is that the proponents of this bill really want to promote the fantasy that one adult working at minimum wage is entitled to bring up a family with children in a two bedroom apartment in a decent area in Philadelphia. The math doesn't work.

5. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

Our city councilmen/women are paid an average of $130K/year with 4 months vacation (3 summer & 1 winter), one of the highest paid city councils in the country, and this is what they come up with?

8 Times City Hall Tried to Kill Fun

6. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

As someone else pointed out in the article's comments area, this article fails immediately because they're comparing the lowest wages to the average/median rent. Not apples to apples in the slightest. Compare the lowest incomes to the bottom 20% of rents in Philadelphia then you have a better article. Average/median rents should only be compared to average/median income.

Hospitalitygirl and Tartan69 like this.
  7. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

"No amount of testimony about how it is an “indignity” for customers to get food served through a window, or the health commissioner’s observation that it might take a worker a few seconds longer to help a choking patron, justifies taking down a safety barrier."

Philly's proposed bulletproof glass ban could get someone shot | Editorial

Tartan69 and fiveomar like this.
  8. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

This starts off as good legislation introduced by Councilman Allan Domb to attempt collection of over $400 million in delinquent property taxes, but looks as if it will become another stupid bill.

"Clarke, Sanchez, and Blackwell introduced a version of the same legislation on the same day with one key difference — it exempted all residential properties in their three districts."

Why give a pass to so many delinquent taxpayers? | Editorial

It's important to remember why Domb voted yes for the soda tax although he didn't like the idea. He said "what really swayed me to vote for it was the administration’s commitment this year to collect the delinquent taxes and make necessary collections in OPA. Those stories, to me, are bigger than the soda tax. They signal that this administration is serious about government efficiencies and collecting the delinquent taxes has tremendous potential in dollars every year and so does fixing OPA.” When I heard this I knew that he was being played, and sure enough, NOTHING has or will happen to change Philly's record of being one of the worst cities in the country at collecting property taxes.

Now let's add the other stupid bill recently introduced by Jannie Blackwell to forgive a large portion of the uncollected parking tickets of over $500 million.

So, this council is going to turn a blind eye to almost $1 Billion in delinquent funds owed to the city but will be ready to raise our property taxes next year by, maybe, 15% to 20%.

The next city council election is November 2019. I think it's time to start assembling a full slate of candidates to try and throw these hacks out.

Hospitalitygirl, Sean and fiveomar like this.
  9. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

An absolute outrage - this is the work of utterly corrupt council members.

10. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

11. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

The taxes are owed since 2005! The city said it would increase collection enforcement during the Nutter administration. Remember this when your mayor and city council ask for property tax increases.

Attached Files:

fiveomar likes this.
  12. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

Here's one from a household on our block, where the household members regularly engage in property vandalism for the rest of us neighbors, and other quality of life issues. The deed owner passed away 2.5 years ago so it's the other family members living there.

$23 in back taxes when the taxes are only $1k/year. 15 years of back taxes.

Attached Files:

13. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

Nutter is out, the rest of the folks like Clarke do not want people to be forced to pay their taxes

14. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

Why should they when there are suckers like us who actually pay all of their bills and taxes.

OakmontGuy, Titus and fiveomar like this.
  15. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

David Oh joins the City Council Stupid Bill Hall of Fame

Republican Councilman David Oh introduces $50 million affordable housing bill

"If passed by the council and approved by voters, it would make a $50 million annual contribution to Philadelphia’s Housing Trust Fund mandatory. (A funding source is not specified, so it would be up to the administration to determine how to meet the requirement.)"

As usual, obligate the city to another $50 million annual expenditure without a plan to pay for it.

fiveomar likes this.