Stupid bills introduced by Philadelphia City Council - 2016

Discussion in 'Local and State' started by Tedk, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Scoats

Scoats Well-Known Member

Very few of these sorts of barriers that I have seen seem to be able to stop a bullet.

2. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

Perhaps it's less about stopping bullets, though I suppose that is the desired outcome? I guess they also want to prevent people from reaching over and stealing out of the register?

3. ODragon

ODragon Well-Known Member

My guess is more likely knives, bats, and other non-gun weapons. The additional idea that it might appear to be bullet proof and detour those with guns also is probably a benefit.

A couple of other places pointed out with these: PPA and Train/Subway Stations

Hospitalitygirl and fiveomar like this.
  4. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

This opinion piece written by three members of our city council is emblematic of the race/class "Tale of Two Cities' claptrap that is spewed out every time politicians come up with some new way of redistributing income, wealth, or in this case property.

Mixed-income housing is good for all Philadelphians | Council members

There are so many absurd statements in this piece that I can't call out all of them, but think about this one:

At minimum wage, Philadelphians need to log 128 hours every week to afford a two-bedroom apartment.

So $7.25/hour (minimum wage) X 128 hours/week = $928/week X 50 weeks = $46,400 or $3,866/month. The last time I checked, one can rent a two bedroom house in a decent area in Port Richmond for $1,200 to $1,400 a month.

But $7.25/hour X 60 hours/week works out to $17,400. One can find a decent studio or 1 bedroom for $750/month or $9,000/year.

The reality is that the proponents of this bill really want to promote the fantasy that one adult working at minimum wage is entitled to bring up a family with children in a two bedroom apartment in a decent area in Philadelphia. The math doesn't work.

eldondre, Tartan69, Asuit and 2 others like this.
  5. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

Our city councilmen/women are paid an average of $130K/year with 4 months vacation (3 summer & 1 winter), one of the highest paid city councils in the country, and this is what they come up with?

8 Times City Hall Tried to Kill Fun

6. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

As someone else pointed out in the article's comments area, this article fails immediately because they're comparing the lowest wages to the average/median rent. Not apples to apples in the slightest. Compare the lowest incomes to the bottom 20% of rents in Philadelphia then you have a better article. Average/median rents should only be compared to average/median income.

Hospitalitygirl and Tartan69 like this.
  7. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

"No amount of testimony about how it is an “indignity” for customers to get food served through a window, or the health commissioner’s observation that it might take a worker a few seconds longer to help a choking patron, justifies taking down a safety barrier."

Philly's proposed bulletproof glass ban could get someone shot | Editorial

Tartan69 and fiveomar like this.