Stucco, brick, or siding?

Discussion in 'Home / Garden / Outdoors' started by RowhomeNewbie, Aug 22, 2016.

1. RowhomeNewbie

RowhomeNewbie New Member

I recently bought a house in South Philadelphia. It has white vinyl siding, which isn't terrible, but it's not my first choice. It looks like it's brick underneath that's been stuccoed about five feet up the wall. I'm considering removing the vinyl siding and dealing with what's underneath.

So what are my options? Repointing the brick? Painting the brick? Stuccoing over everything? Can I remove the stucco from the brick, or am I stuck with it? Am I better off just sucking it up, putting up some shutters and some window boxes and learning to love my vinyl siding?

I'm a single woman on a non-profit salary, so I'm extremely price conscious. Rough estimates are SO helpful. Thanks so much.

2. Sean

Sean Well-Known Member

If you do take down the vinyl siding, you'll likely have to repoint or stucco the walls for aesthetics and i would guess to prevent water intrusion.

Six years ago I had the back of my row home repointed, it cost about four thousand dollars. Repointing brick is a very time consuming job, especially when done correctly. I had the option of adding stucco over everything but personally prefer the look of brick. The estimates for stucco were slightly higher than pointing, due to increased materials costs. Your estimates will very from mine based on the size of your wall.

3. CHIOSSO

CHIOSSO Schuylkill Ranger

Any thing the covers the walls can hide potential problems. Pointing I think is the best option.

DCnPhilly and Sean like this.
  4. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

I totally agree. While it's probably the most costly option, it will take care of any problems covered up by the stucco and siding. Best solution long-term, and IMO the best looking.

5. iliveinapark

iliveinapark New Member

Stucco can hid more than paint or siding. Open up that wall and it’s a whole can of worms. As others have said… repoint the brickwork. However where the stucco was/is you may need to re-stucco. It really all depends what you want your façade to look like. In short stay away from Portland cement and low bidders. Unless you don’t care what’s to happen in 5-10 years.

6. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

Worms, literally! :p

7. billy ross

billy ross Well-Known Member

Get a price to remove the siding and a price to replace the siding. You don't know what you have til you open it up. Assuming that you can swing removing the siding and worst case scenario - unlikely - putting it back up to cover what you found, post photos of what you've uncovered. Sometimes you like what you found. Sometimes you hate it. There's only one way to find out. Until then it's useless speculation. My experiences have run the gamut and I've learned that if you try to figure it out by guessing you're wasting your time.