Stabbing in Center City Wawa

Discussion in 'Center City' started by Jayfar, Jun 7, 2018.

1. jazzsinger59

jazzsinger59 Well-Known Member

There are many fights when the bars close. I live around there. There are fights when school lets around 3pm. People sell loosey for a dollar.
    Today I used the elevator at the walnut locust station. I was loaded down with Trader Joes and CVS bags. I look out the corner of my eye.
    This big dude gets in the elevator like he is going to rob me. He says you know what is going to happen. I had my pepper spray in my hand.
    I said what!!! and looked as mean as I could. He left me alone very fast. The city is not as safe as people think it is. You have to be on guard.

#31 jazzsinger59, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    fiveomar likes this.
  2. Scoats

Scoats Well-Known Member

I had a nice break the Wawa at 2nd and South a couple of weeks ago. The 17th and Arch Wawa was always fine. They don't have to be shitshows.

3. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

Ok gotcha I was talking about on the thread.

Not disagreeing per se, but curious where you've seen that?

4. Tartan69

Big fan of that one, in fact grabbed a mango green tea there on my way to Suburban this evening

5. MNG1324

MNG1324 Well-Known Member

Rowdy more than dangerous.

I had a weekend condo in that area for over 8 years and the only incident that I ever had was from a bachelorette party from Howl At the Moon. A severely inebriated woman decided to run at me with a male blowup doll. I'm not sure if I still need therapy.

I'm now in Old City above Market and other than on First Friday's it's quiet. Of course you have lost fat tourists on every block with maps but that's the price you pay for city living.

6. Templeton

Templeton Well-Known Member

Usually in the comment section on BLM articles. Like this one: Baltimore Residents Blaming Murder Increase on Lack of Police After BLM Protesters Demanded Pullback

Or this one from Hot Air columnist John Sexton:

"Why would police risk their lives and their careers for neighborhoods willing to believe the absolute worst about them the moment something goes wrong? And that risk is real." Baltimore pastor on the city's homicide rate: We need police to come back

7. Politburo

Politburo Well-Known Member

It doesn't prove anything. Statements defending police conduct are made in much more obvious situations. Regardless, the fact that some police criticism exists (and probably always will) is a justification for what, exactly?

It is not illegal to hang out on the street. It's not a question of 'tolerating it', but of a basic legal fact. If trespassing or other crimes occur and are reported, police should do their job and handle that. I wasn't the one that was arguing that police criticism prevents this and is somehow responsible for the two stabbings.

8. Tartan69

Hey, I criticize the police as well. IMO it's about holding the profession to a higher standard while still realizing that a certain portion of the people they deal with are scumbags and thus they have to work towards the lowest-common denominator.

My entire point is that they were doing their job here, and thus the extended criticism in this case is not warranted.

To be clear, I agree that "hanging out" is not a crime. But the city tolerates activity that is aggressive towards others (e.g. panhandling). These vagrants are not just "hanging out".

Fair enough, I was using Wawa as a general reference point rather than a specific example, and thus wasn't meaning to imply you were.

fiveomar likes this.
  9. Politburo

Politburo Well-Known Member

OK, so how exactly does that relate to your assertion that "We get the level of safety that we ask for. Actions have repercussions."

Similar to loitering, various laws prohibiting panhandling have been struck down. So it is again not a question of the city 'tolerating' it, but of constitutionally-protected freedoms. To reiterate, any illegal activity should be handled by police and I have no reason to believe they are not capable of doing that, regardless of how much criticism (warranted or unwarranted) they receive.

ShoshTrvls likes this.
  10. Phillyurban8

Phillyurban8 Well-Known Member

Wawa is a business with local roots. It's not like corporate headquarters is in Des Moines. They should have known better and been on top of this. I hope to see a security guard on duty next time I pass by their Broad Street store.

11. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very oldĀ®

The few times I've been in their 1900 Market St store during late night hours, there was a uniformed PPD officer stationed in the store. As I understand it stores can hire off-duty cops as security through the PPD.