St. Stephen's Green at 17th and Green

Discussion in 'Fairmount / Spring Garden / Francisville' started by Grappler, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Grappler

Grappler Well-Known Member

What's the word on this place? I'm heading there Friday night for dinner/drinks with some friends and was curious to see if anyone had any reviews of the place. The last time I was there was many moons ago when it was Mezzanotis (sp?).

Thanks!

2. MetalDeth81

MetalDeth81 Well-Known Member

I haven't been there in close to 9 months, but the times I've been there before it was a nice experience. They have a decent beer selection, I can't say much food-wise as we've always just had the bar-type finger foods. I also like hanging out in that little seating area behind the bar and people watch.

3. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

It looks nothing like when it was Cafe Notre Dame (or whatever it was). It was gutted and rebuilt as an Irish style pub (imported bar, etc). The food is pretty solid. The steak sandwich is their best sandwich (sometimes it's not listed) which isn't surprising since they make a solid hanger steak. The entrees I've had have been good. There's a back patio in addition to sidewalk seating.

4. PhillyCuse

PhillyCuse Well-Known Member

I asked johnnie about this place and he's never heard of it.

5. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Mezza Notte was succeeded by Cuvée Notre Dame which is now an Irish pub called St Stephen's Green - It's very very popular. I can vouch for the food being decent. I like the Hanger Steak Salad which is a good bargain. I've had my problems there, but recently there has been a marked improvement. It's pub food with some slightly trendy main courses and an excellent beer selection and I've had a couple of decent wines.

6. DocAwesome

DocAwesome The Doctor is In

It would be my go-to bar if I lived any closer. Food is above average, beer selection is impressive. Plus, they have the drinks and the food in the same menu, which is the way it should be done.

Service has gotten much better as well in the last few months.

7. stock

stock Well-Known Member

Great place, go there once or twice a month when I'm meeting people in that section of the city.

8. PhillyKev

PhillyKev Super Troll

Sad to say, bad experience there last week. Go often and usually it's decent, but has been going downhill lately and last week was the topper.

Service was beyond lousy. Waitress first came 10 minutes after seated, took drink and food orders. Got the first round in decent time. Appetizer in 10 minutes ok...but no silverware, that took 5 minutes. Then nothing. 15 minutes later she came by. Ordered another round and asked her to check on our dinners. Waited ANOTHER 15 minutes. No drinks, no dinner. Went in, saw our drinks sitting at the bar, was about to grab them myself when she came up and confirmed they were ours. I grabbed mine, took a sip, it was the wrong pilsner. Still no dinner until 10 minutes later. Fish and chips on a piping hot burn your fingers plate with cold fries and luke warm fish, no vinegar, lucky some on the next table over. The swordfish "special" was hard the consistency of a radial tire. She never came to check on us after that or we would have sent it back. In fact, she didn't come back until 10 minutes after we were done eating.

9. Dave

Dave Señor Member

Evelyn makes me go to this bar all the time. You'd think he would've heard of it by now.

10. BenDee

BenDee Well-Known Member

While I can't speak for the waitress, I do know that the head chef was on vacation all last week(according to the waitress), so that may be why the food was lacking.

Was there for the first time last week, and it was very good, but not great. Cheesesteak empanadas were delicious(but then how do you screw up a deep-fried cheesesteak?) although I think having a chipotle BBQ instead of the serrano mayo would have put it over the top. Hanger steak was apparently excellent, they got it rare even though it was sliced pretty thin. I had the shrimp gnocchi that were ok, but that's mostly because I didn't know it had bay seasoning and I'm not a huge of that in general.

I'm definitely going back, great place, and is the closest bar/restaurant to me.

11. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

"very good, not great. " ben dee
    straight and to the point

12. Seanibus

Seanibus Well-Known Member

I like it. Decent beer selection, sometimes tending more toward the Belgian than I like. Decent food. Pleasant, if not extraordinary service. I have never been disappointed, though I have had better and not so better experiences.

Sit in the bar if you can. Much better atmosphere than the main dining room, particularly when the sun is out.

13. Geno

Geno Well-Known Member

I really like this place. Great crab cakes.

14. Illiniwek

Illiniwek Oskee Wow Wow

We've eaten there with plenty of out-of-towners in recent months, and they've really liked it as well. The only disappointment has been when they've run out of something on the menu.

15. johnnie

johnnie F the Eagles

Ive heard they have good food and beer there. :drooling:

16. HomeGirl

HomeGirl Well-Known Member

I like this place too and am always happy to meet friends / beau there for dinner or brunch. Way better menu than a typical pub.

I remember Mezza Notte well!!

17. PhillyKev

PhillyKev Super Troll

Hope that's the case. I don't judge a place on a single experience, and I've had plenty of good ones. But this particular time was horrible.

18. Grappler

Grappler Well-Known Member

Well, we met our friends there on Friday night and we had a great time. Great beer selection:thumbsup: The food was also very good. I had the hanger steak frites - delicious! My wife had shrimp and scallops - also outstanding. We'll definitely be going back. On a side note - I sit down at the bar upon arriving and wouldn't you know it - I recognized the bartender, Paul. I grew up with him and his brothers. Small world.

19. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Closed - with a Cease Operations poster on the door. I couldn't read the reason for the closure.

fiveomar likes this.
  20. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

And back in business.

21. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

#21 Jayfar, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  22. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

23. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

It absolutely boggles my mind that a business can get cited for some of these things and then not take steps to fix them. One repeat offense is dumb on their part, but 14 is insanity. I would imagine that the cost of being shut down is more than the cost to fix...this must especially be true since they were back up and running within two days which means the issues weren't that difficult to fix.

24. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

It's been poorly run since the new owners took it over. I'l get a burger there occasionally but they don't know what they are doing.