South Street After Hours Club from late 80s

Discussion in 'Queen Village / Bella Vista / Hawthorne' started by Oldhead, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Oldhead

Oldhead Member

Anybody remember the name of the club/after hours club on South Street between 2nd and Front street (north side of the block) during the early/mid 80s... It was affiliated with the restaurant La Cucina..Sitting here down the shore reminiscing about the old times and we can't remember this club's name..Man we're getting old...

Octavia likes this.
  2. MikePenn

MikePenn Well-Known Member

Christine's

O.H. Lee likes this.
  3. HomeGirl

HomeGirl Well-Known Member

It was originally Scruples. Then it was La Dolce Vita. Then I think it was Scruples again before it became Christines. The neon "LaDolce Vita" sign hung over the bar through all the name changes.

GREAT memories of that place!!

Remember Fritzy, the older woman who carded (almost) everyone?

If you go to Pietro's pizza, you can still visualize the old place.

I do feel old when I can recite the former 3 lives of an old place ; (

#3 HomeGirl, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
    Octavia, O.H. Lee and CHIOSSO like this.
  4. Oldhead

Oldhead Member

Scruples!!!! I cannot believe I could not remember the name considering all the adventures we had there..... Thanks

CHIOSSO likes this.
  5. NE19149

NE19149 (^!^)

Yeah, La Dolce Vita, the place loaded up during the After Hours with all the employees from nearby joints wanting to party and do their drugs.

I worked at one of those joints and know this for a fact. :cool:

Octavia likes this.
  6. loving life Lia

loving life Lia New Member

Scrupples was a magical place to get away and party with beautiful people. This was our Studio 54. I feel sad for this generation. They'll never know the meaning of the word fun or exciting. If only I can go back in time.

Octavia likes this.
  7. Asuit

Asuit Well-Known Member

Piccadilly ??? Before all others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Octavia

Octavia New Member

OMG! I just found this.... I managed the parking lot for Downey's La Cucina and Scruples! Some years back I was sad to hear Salvie Testa was no longer. He was always nice to me and would slap a $5. on me to park his car. I think it was a sky blue Cad. I was pretty shocked to have found he was nicknamed The Crowned Prince of the Philadelphia Mob on Google. I was so naive but had the wisdom to keep to myself .... It's eerie to think of just what may have gone on down there then... I imagine it was like the Soprano's but Philly style.
    I even parked Willie Nelson's ride whatever that was....
    My fav Philly club was The Second Story... Great times there!
    Yes I remember Fritzie... She was cool... Some guy used to frequent Downey's who drove a Rolls. That was the smoothest vehicle and it smelled like I was sitting in a leather hand bag... I sometimes had to take it around the block. Sweet machine! My next fav ride were Jags, and after that Honda's. Sam wa my boss> I don't remember his last name and can't say I got warm vibes from him... but at least I had a job for a while. He managed Scruples and La Cucina... I loved Downey's seafood bisque and their Irish Whiskey Cake.... Yum!

9. Octavia

Octavia New Member

Does anyone know Sam's last name? Just curious... I imagine he's gone as so many others from the mob then.... and Frank the fella who I hired to work the lot with me passed a few years back. I remember him mentioning several of the mob names that I read at Salvie's google search... but as I stated prior... I had no interest in anything they were doing and I always hated touching news papers and it was way before social media... I just lived my life and followed my dreams and profession which lead me overseas where I was married and returned to reside hours from Philly.

Kristie likes this.
  10. Kristie

Kristie New Member

LaRussa and he was the owner of LaCucina...

11. Kristie

Kristie New Member

LaRussa

12. CHIOSSO

CHIOSSO Schuylkill Ranger

13. LadyB

LadyB New Member

Always enjoyed Scruples. The DJ, Rusty was such a nice guy. Anyone know what ever happened to Rusty?