South kenzo seems poised to take off

Discussion in 'Fishtown / Northern Liberties / Kensington / Port ' started by John Goodman, Dec 18, 2012.

1. MarketStEl

MarketStEl Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash

this.

Views sell.

You don't get views like that out of standard windows.

Yes, what the builders do to put these windows in makes the buildings look like crap. But the tenants aren't buying, or leasing, because of the exterior, as you should know from all the blah NEW buildings going up hereabouts.

MackeyDingo likes this.
  2. Global Warmer

Global Warmer Well-Known Member

just went by.. That is a really nice gate around liberty sq!

3. Scoats

Scoats Well-Known Member

There should be middle ground where great views meet a nice looking exterior. This change for North Broad shows a good middle way. The third windows could even be lengthened and the panels shortened and still be pleasing.

[​IMG]

While looking for that image which I recalled seeing earlier this week, I found a picture of Denver's Studebaker Building. Looks like the architects for our Studebaker Building found it too and used it a guide for the replacement bays. Franklin and Studebaker Building – Denver – arch-ive.org

ZARK and fiveomar like this.
  4. Global Warmer

Ferrari 458 Italia!

5. MarketStEl

That looks more like a restoration of the original facade.

The 19th-century factories have smaller windows, and I guess there are only so many artists who are fine with that to go around. Either that, or too many developers who don't give a fig about historically sensitive reconstruction if they think the rebuilt units won't fetch a decent price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. thetalkingmule

thetalkingmule Well-Known Member

Somebody's digging something at the Liberty Sq site. So that may be a positive.

7. cafeguy

cafeguy Well-Known Member

fyi...Liberty Square has broken ground. but they are digging really really slow. Still...its happening!!!

fiveomar likes this.
  8. thetalkingmule

Their digging methods and fencing seem to be very high-end tho! Encouraging sign that they're not messing about on quality.

fiveomar likes this.
  9. billy ross

billy ross Well-Known Member

Do our definitions of 'smaller' differ? Stuff from the postwar period has 'smaller windows'. Stuff from the 19th Century, when natural light was prized, tends to have 'larger' Windows. Take a look around Germantown.

10. MarketStEl

No, the 19th-century windows are smaller than those that went up on 1920s commercial structures like this one. Glass factories in the mid-19th century didn't make picture-window-sized panes like those on the upper stories of the Studebaker Building. Most factory buildings from the mid- to late 1800s I've seen have window openings similar to those for domestic dwellings. But I'll look again when next close to Germantown Avenue, and if I find some larger window openings on buildings predating 1900, I'll photograph and post them.

11. cafeguy

Here comes Germantown and Girard! Fences and permits are up! Good bye mural, unfortunately. Last I heard, it was going to be a beauty school/salon with apartments on top.

12. sgalla04

sgalla04 Member

Its exciting to see a large community presence around South/Olde Kensington. My wife and I just put a deposit down on one of the town homes at 1326 N. Mascher St. Half of the 20 units are planned to be completed by Dec. 2016 and the 2nd phase is expected by June 2017. We are part of the 2nd phase, so I know its almost a year away, but we are excited to join the neighborhood. Is there anyone on this forum who lives or plans on moving soon to the block of Mascher/Master/Hancock? It would be great to hear from other soon-to-be neighbors!

13. cafeguy

I live on Stiles. Its a great little neighborhood, but there is a divide between neighbors, as there is across all of philly, where some prefer townhomes everywhere and others want more density. I think its good for a nice mix. Without density, we won't get good retail. A mix of apartment complexes and townhomes is the best for every neighborhood. I would say that in 3 years, the bigger projects near you will be complete and it'll be one of the best neighborhoods to live in!!!!

14. cfs3526

cfs3526 Member

i live in the neighborhood, but no kids, so i am not familiar with the school system there.
    My friend is asking about that, could somebody share some information about it?
    Thanks

15. sgalla04

sgalla04 Member

I don't have kids yet either, but I am also interested. I would also like to know what is being done or can be collectively done on a hyper local level to help the Philadelphia Public Schools in the Olde Kensington catchment?

I have heard that the Laboratory Charter School (K-8) in Northern Liberties is very good, but can be difficult to get in to.

16. Global Warmer

Welcome to the neighborhood!

I recommend joining the South Kensington Facebook page.

You'll probably get more interaction there.

17. snadam

snadam Active Member

Welcome to the neighborhood, glad you chose the area!
    I live a block from where your new place will be, have great neighbors, and love the area.

fiveomar likes this.
  18. Global Warmer

Word on the street is SOKO anticipates breaking ground in Q2 of 2017.

19. thetalkingmule

This is The Klein Company's project in Cherry Hill, can't wait to have this kind of quality smack in the middle of the neighborhood. Adding this to the horrendous brown boxes lined up on Howard/Hancock Street and we've got the blandest hood in the history of modern civilization.

If these people wanted to live in New Jersey, why didn't they just stay in New Jersey? It's literally a caucasian plague.

[​IMG]

DCnPhilly, fiveomar and Scoats like this.
  20. sgalla04

sgalla04 Member

My wife (girlfriend at the time) actually lived in these apartments in Cherry Hill before she/we moved into the city. They were pretty cookie cutter to look at, but she didn't have many complaints about the inside or the management. They also had a nice gym and small dog park, which kept dogs from going elsewhere on the premises. I never saw a car plugged into the electric charging stations. Maybe they get a tax credit for installing those. I hope the SOKO Lofts are more visually appealing, but I'm not sure if the quality of the buildings/amenities will be all that bad.

Scoats likes this.
  21. Global Warmer

How's Liberty Square looking? I have't been by back there lately.

The Soko site is such an eyesore.

mixiboi likes this.
  22. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Still a empty razed field....

23. thetalkingmule

They broke ground on the eastern corner of Palethorp and Master today, hopefully with the same plans they presented at the zoning meeting forever ago.

24. thetalkingmule

Lib Sq progress looks good. Massive dig, concrete retaining walls and some steel last time I went by.

I'm very happy with SoKo sitting dormant under the snow until Liberty Sq sets the bar for quality in the hood.

fiveomar likes this.
  25. thetalkingmule

What happened to that amazing proposal for the corner of Palethorp and Master??? I remember a really interesting well-designed unit running the length of two vertical lots, now they're putting up two more of these horrendous cookie-cutter houses.

26. Global Warmer

It's been quiet in this section of the board, where is everyone these days?

That new development on Philip and Jefferson looks cool. I wonder if they are apts or houses.

27. sgalla04

sgalla04 Member

CDR Submission:

1413-27 Germantown Ave - Olde Kensington - luxury apartment/ground floor retail/industrial - two 6 floor buildings

www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/projectreviews/PDF/1413-27%20GermantownAve_Web.pdf

28. Global Warmer

Liberty square is coming along, as well as infill all around.

Any word on upcoming mega projects or even current ones like like Soko?