South kenzo seems poised to take off

Discussion in 'Fishtown / Northern Liberties / Kensington / Port ' started by John Goodman, Dec 18, 2012.

1. thetalkingmule

thetalkingmule Well-Known Member

Fine with me. The deeper we can get into this Clinton Administration, the more cash people should have and the higher-end the development will have to be to attract buyers.

At this point the best thing that could happen would for Liberty Sq to proceed as planned and SoKo to be sold off and put on hold.

2. cafeguy

cafeguy Well-Known Member

every time i talk with the liberty square developers, they say that are almost there....permits, financing, etc etc. But it does seem like we aren't going to have anything developed for years other than single family row homes at this rate.

3. phillyTIM

phillyTIM Well-Known Member

(nevermind)

#393 phillyTIM, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  4. Global Warmer

Global Warmer Well-Known Member

Tri Mark warehouse (mural warehouse) on 2nd is up for vote tomorrow. Who's going?

76 units, ground floor commercial and live work.

5. thetalkingmule

I'll be there with my vote now defaulted to "no" after the SoKo debacle. Will keep an open mind.

6. cafeguy

There's no vote tomorrow. Its a variance review. You will like it though. I saw the renderings. Very very very nice work being proposed by the same guys as Liberty Square...of which... they said their financing has been approved and will start early 2016 finally!!!!

With liberty square and this new proposal... SOKO is going to feel like the ugliest of ugly buildings sitting right next to two incredibly nice buildings! If SOKO gets wind of this proposal, they are going to have to hit the drawing board again since it is just awful in comparison.

7. cafeguy

oh...i should add. I'll be there. Also... the meeting isnt tomorrow. its wednesday.

8. thetalkingmule

SoKo simply cannot put up anything remotely resembling what they've done in the past in NJ/FL, it would fail miserably and be a blight on the neighborhood.

I'm assuming they'll end up selling the lot at a profit. Maybe Liberty Sq Phase 3? I can wait.

9. Global Warmer

Been a little while and came across these two bits:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...ter-Roost-Wm-Mulherin-Sons.html#disqus_thread

Method has been developing a restaurant called Wm. Mulherin’s Sons, restoring a grand brick building that housed a company that rectified whiskey at the turn of the 20th century. It’s at 1355 N. Front St., on the corner of Master Street and across from The El Bar. Method chief executive Randall Cook describes the food as “urban, wood-fired Italian."

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-philly/south-kensington/soko-lofts-looking-likelier-at-last

The Nakedphilly bloggers received an email that eludes to construction taking place sometime in 2016. Pretty vague.

10. thetalkingmule

11. Malloy

Malloy Administrator
    Staff Member

I'd love to see that in Fairmount or SPhila.

12. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

...with the optional robotic arm for tossing aside chairs and traffic cones. :badger:

13. tudor

tudor Member

Who is buying new houses that go for $300,000+ in the area? Just curious. They have got to be turned into rentals, right?

phillyTIM likes this.
  14. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

SOLD!!!!

NoLibs development site sells for big number | Philadelphia Business Journal

15. snadam

snadam Active Member

I guess they're serious about building the project they presented a few months back. I was under the impression, at the time of presentation, that they had already purchased the project from Cannus. At that price it seems less likely that they'll resell it again and more likely that they are in it for the long haul. Looking at their website I don't see any mention of the deal in the press section.

16. Global Warmer

I read somewhere online that Klein plans to begin development in late 2016.

Curious why not earlier in the year. Maybe lining up permits/contractors?

17. cfs3526

cfs3526 Member

there is a big empty lot on Howard and Girard, and there are homeless staying at the front of one of the empty house. It smell really bad every time i pass by there.
    Does any body know what is owner's plan for this empty log?

18. New2Fishtown

New2Fishtown Well-Known Member

19. snadam

snadam Active Member

20. Global Warmer

Just a reminder:

Community Zoning Meeting WEDNESDAY (3/23)

When: Wednesday, March 23rd @ 6:00pm
    Where: The Finanta Building (1301 N 2nd Street)

6:00 - 1411 N Howard [No Vote] - HIGH IMPACT VARIANCE REVIEW

New construction of two attached structures including 11 units, 11 roof decks (combined), with interior parking for 11 vehicles accessed by a shared driveway easement. Residents, business owners, and property owners within a 1/2 mile will be eligible to vote in April.

6:30 - 161 Cecil B Moore [Vote] - GENERAL VARIANCE REVIEW

Proposal to allow for the continued use of the property as an amusement center, including a mini golf course as well as 17 arcade games. Residents, business owners, and property owners within a 1/4 mile are eligible to vote.

6:45 - 1832 Front Street [Vote] - GENERAL VARIANCE REVIEW

Proposal to allow for the use of the property as a tattoo parlor with accessory retail sales. Residents, business owners, and property owners within a 1/4 mile are eligible to vote.

7:00 - 1400-4 Germantown Ave [Vote] - GENERAL VARIANCE REVIEW

New construction of an mixed-use development with roof deck and balconies, including 1 commercial unit at the ground floor and basement level as well as 5 multi-family residential units. Residents, business owners, and property owners within a 1/4 mile are eligible to vote.

7:30 - 1337 5th Street [Vote] - HIGH IMPACT VARIANCE REVIEW

Mixed use redevelopment of currently blighted industrial property featuring ground floor commercial, 31 multi-family units, 12 accessory parking spaces, and 11 bicycle parking spaces.Residents, business owners, and property owners within a 1/2 mile are eligible to vote.

8:00 - 1222 N 2nd Street [Vote] - HIGH IMPACT VARIANCE REVIEW

New construction of one 5 story multi-family building with commercial and live/work units on the first floor, as well as 56 parking spaces. Residents, business owners, and property owners within 1/2 mile are eligible to vote.

21. Global Warmer

Been a while since this thread has had activity.

I haven't noticed any remarkable movement on any of the big projects (lib sq, soko, umbrella factory). Hopefully someone can chime in to refute!

Also, wasn't there some 'big development news' someone was going to share?

22. thetalkingmule

These idiots have already destroyed the building in Week 1 of construction. Perfectly gorgeous building and they're cutting massive floor to ceiling window openings because that's what douchebags currently want. We are slowly turning into New Jersey.

[​IMG]

23. MarketStEl

MarketStEl Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash

No, we're not, because outside Camden, there's nothing like these shells in New Jersey. Or at least not our part of it.

I understand your lament over the loss of historic integrity, but would you prefer these remain rotting hulks?

24. thetalkingmule

I don't care about the historical integrity, it's more a design complaint. This is going to look exactly like their warehouse conversion down across from Sugarhouse, purple up-lighting and huge windows.

They did a nice job taking those shells on Front St and making the best of it, but this building was gorgeous to begin with even in it's shell state. They couldn't come up with a design that maintains it's style? Looking over there now they've cut out the majority of the windows so the whole things is going to be just another dbag factory with zero class. Basically a place where no adult in their right mind would ever live.

Other than the top piece, what was wrong with this look?

[​IMG]

25. cafeguy

I agree. Cutting out those windows is a bad idea. BUT, I'm not devastated by any means. I still think itll look nice in the end.

As for other projects...

1222 n second got approval at the zoning meeting downtown last week!
    also, liberty square is completely fenced off and about to get started! Permits are finally finished and they are beginning to bring their equipment.

26. thetalkingmule

I saw those fancy new fences around Liberty Sq, nice! Really counting on that project to move quickly and set the bar high for future developments. Thanks for the updates!

27. 3rd&Brown

3rd&Brown Well-Known Member

It's criminal that they're dismantling this facade. The conversion on Delaware Avenue is the tackiest thing to hit Greater Center City in at least 10 years. I'd rather it remain vacant for the next guy.

28. MpappaM

MpappaM New Member

core realty is one of the cheese dickiest developers around.
    On this project, though, they are removing cinder block infill that made original window openings in the north part of the east facing exposure much smaller. I don't think it's necessarily a crime against architecture or decency. That will come later with the inevitable core realty classy light show

29. Scoats

Scoats Well-Known Member

I agree the exterior of Penn Treaty Penthouses is a disappointment, but man look at the views from the interior.

[​IMG]

30. thetalkingmule

I don't think those Delaware Ave conversions are all that bad, it's not like the rundown warehouses were pleasing to the eye. But to start out with a gorgeous building and go out of your way at great expense to make it worse is just lame.

This phase of the North Philly build-out has been a major letdown. Maybe Lib Sq will start us on a new track.