South kenzo seems poised to take off

Discussion in 'Fishtown / Northern Liberties / Kensington / Port ' started by John Goodman, Dec 18, 2012.

1. cafeguy

cafeguy Well-Known Member

I think some of it is simply the process of pulling permits. For Liberty Square, getting the storm water and sewer plan signed off took awhile. Then, once you get that finished, then you gotta get the permits pulled for the specifics of the project, then, you gotta go back to financing which may hold you up if the market has changed since the first time you went through.

Throw in all the zoning hoops they have to go through to get approvals at the start and its a long long road to development.

At all these steps and all these years... there is a chance the project could just die.

2. RittenhouseGirl

RittenhouseGirl Well-Known Member

I'm not fond of the style either, but it looks like it is made of brick, which I don't think it is very common in new homes anymore, so it is probably worth the money.

If they only put in nicer windows and front doors I think the look could have been redeemed.

3. thetalkingmule

thetalkingmule Well-Known Member

At this point I prefer the empty field(when well mowed) to the dbag cardboard apartment buildings proposed.

Liberty Sq MUST get moving soon to set the bar and make it clear just how far behind the curve the Klein is with their concept/design.

4. Global Warmer

Global Warmer Well-Known Member

5. MarketStEl

MarketStEl Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash

"Slightly touches on"?

They form the basis of her critique of the toothless design provisions in the zoning and permitting process.

I followed the Soko project through its initial round of reviews on the old Philadelphia RE Blog. Sounds like the SKCP. head's characterization of this project as "bait and switch" is accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. thetalkingmule

So depressing, bringing Jersey over the bridge and plopping it in a hugely important vacant space. If you want to live in Jersey, just live in Jersey.

I'd still like to see how much cash Rabinowicz cleared by flipping this property on a zero interest state loan.

7. Sharkfood

Sharkfood Well-Known Member

1700 block of N. Front St.: Huge parcel. Was a used car lot. There are signs saying the lot has closed and please visit our other locations.
    Could be the site of something big in near future.

8. cafeguy

oh man...straight to the point. I agree. The people who will enjoy this should just move into a gated community they would find in collingswood or something, which isn't bad, but works much better in a suburb.

There needs to be a better way to direct better design...like maybe you could give special permission to do certain things if you follow the design committee's suggestions...like an added height bonus if you make it to their standards.

9. cafeguy

A permanent fence is going up at the vacant plot of land that had a nice proposal last year... at girard and mascher.

I believe permanent fence means they are going to try to sell it or, at the least, wont be doing anything with it anytime soon.

Land taxes are obviously a problem for speculation since the low vacant land costs incentivize doing nothing with your property until it makes you more money. One way around this would be to tax the **** out of unused land (especially on a commercial corridor). Turn it into a garden or a parking lot or anything other than a fenced in piece of crap during the years you plan to sit on it to wait for the rise in value. We need incentives for active use.

10. MarketStEl

MarketStEl Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash

Paging Henry George...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very oldĀ®

Born here, ignored here.

12. cafeguy

13. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very oldĀ®

And the local outpost of the Henry George School is at his birthplace on S. 10th St in Center City.

14. Sharkfood

Unnoticed/under the radar activity:

* A large two story warehouse is being rebuilt into something on 6th St. between Berks and Montgomery.

* 5th & Berks behind Brands Imaging: They've started clearing a large site in anticipation of a large residential development

* 7th & Norris: Some excavation going on at a large grassy lot behind a church. Don't know if it portends a new development

* 13th & Cumberland: Multi-story warehouse on north side of street undergoing gut renovation. (Note: Existing warehouse on
    south side of street already converted to Lofts at Cumberland.)

15. hammersklavier

hammersklavier A Fortnight Dead

I wouldn't call 13th and Cumberland part of South Kenzo, dude. That's more part of the Temple student ghetto.

16. Sharkfood

Front & Master, old brewery building: they made a big delivery of commercial cooking equipment today.
    This has been in the works a long time. Any one know what is planned?

17. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

The future Temple South

18. thetalkingmule

That's the garage next to the corner building, not sure if they're connected or not on the first floor a la Front St Cafe. That's the long rumored pizza bar.

Not sure if we need more pizza or more bar, but I'll take it! I like their style so far. Dare I dream for a regular NJ/NY style slice place?

19. New2Fishtown

New2Fishtown Well-Known Member

20. thetalkingmule

Went by today and it looks like there's a breakthrough between properties at least in the rear of the building. Might be a pretty sweet setup if executed correctly.

21. cafeguy

22. hammersklavier

hammersklavier A Fortnight Dead

The future ironically-named Temple South (it's north of campus)

23. cafeguy

Great news!!!!

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-philly/south-kensington/gray-skies-clearing-for-the-umbrella-factory

As for Liberty Square, its still not moving forward. Now that SOKO is a private walled off community, Liberty Square stands to be the best large scale addition to south/olde kensington! Unfortunately, i have heard little from the developers. Every time there is an issue with graffiti, broken down fences, etc etc...they immediately come and fix it and their workers say they are very confident that the project is moving forward, but these delays have me nervous. Last I heard, they were right around the corner from having storm water plans finished...then they would have to simply go back to some permits of some sort for breaking ground. BUT, i would assume they would have to go back to financing as well. I wonder if the surge in proposed or finished projects in northern liberties and the neighborhood changes the finances of the project? Would it become harder to get finances approved if more units are being built? I would imagine if he waits to build when there are more units on the market, the banks could say that the market is saturated and its unlikely he can rent all the units at the price that is stands previously?

24. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

Great news, used to admire that building from the train

25. thetalkingmule

I wouldn't say this is "great" per se, maybe great for property values in the area.

Aren't these the guys who did the warehouse conversions to dbag glass walled condos at Front and Spring Garden?

26. cafeguy

I have a friend who lives in that place. I would hardly consider a project as a "bad thing" if it means bros move in vs. hipsters. He does great work and should do very well for this place!

27. 3rd&Brown

3rd&Brown Well-Known Member

Yes.

They have money but apparently no taste.

Stay tuned. Purple neon coming to a neighborhood near you.

28. cafeguy

not really south kensington...but this website seems dead so i'll just post it here. Someone close to Bart says that he has plans for the christmas tree lot and the parking lot across germantown from it. The plan would put a single building going over germantown! Crazy idea! Also said that once the parking garage is built, the goal is to put a hotel tower next to superfresh.

The problem, however...is that this won't happen for many more years since Bart is busy with the AC and south philly projects. Thus...the neighborhood as it is (as far as Tower-owned properties) now will be what it will be for at least another five years.

29. Juniataexile

Juniataexile Well-Known Member

30. Global Warmer

Global Warmer Well-Known Member

I walked by and looked at the posting for Soko and looked at the lot.

As each day passes, I feel less and less confident in Soko and LSquare getting developed any time soon.