South kenzo seems poised to take off

Discussion in 'Fishtown / Northern Liberties / Kensington / Port ' started by John Goodman, Dec 18, 2012.

1. John Goodman

John Goodman Well-Known Member

Reading the zoning email we have

21 houses on Howard and Thompson

3 on 4th and master

2 near 2nd and Cecil

And the last zoning meeting had a bunch of projects approved... Looks like its finally happening friends, the upcoming real estate bull market should be enough to push this hood over the edge

2. carloss

carloss Well-Known Member

Any update on the megalot between 2nd, American, Thompson & Master? That development more than anything will be the game changer for the barrio.

3. RainboTeabagger

RainboTeabagger Teabag or liberty.

A Kenzo is a person, not a place. So unless someone from South Kensington is about to head off into orbit via NASA, you're headline doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

4. John Goodman

Im pushing this name, itll be hip soon youll see

5. thetalkingmule

thetalkingmule Well-Known Member

I prefer simply "Kensington". We don't need a different name for every 2 square block area.

6. Sharkfood

Sharkfood Well-Known Member

The reality is there have been many proposed projects in south Kensington but relatively few shovels in the ground. I will consider the neighborhood to have turned a corner when there is progress on one of the three major eyesores: the lot at American & Thompson; the Greta brewery at 4th & Oxford; or the umbrella factory at 5th & master.

7. five apples

five apples Deacon Blues

If you had posted this 10 years ago people would have laughed at you, the fact it is even plausible is a huge change. I still really haven't gotten over Fishtown being a place people moved to.

8. John Goodman

The problem with that is 4th and master has nothing to do with Kensington and somerset

9. phljoe

phljoe Well-Known Member

Existing homes are moving fast too, and at good prices. A home across the street from me near 2nd and Master went for about $300K after being on the market for less than a month.

10. thesomersteam

thesomersteam Well-Known Member

South Kensington is already taking off. Is one of the best zip codes for appreciation in Philadelphia for both homeowners and investors.

As far as the neighborhood name, the civic association is South Kensington Community Partners, which by the way has done an amazing job. The civic association needs to have an Identification besides being "Kensington" which is too broad.

Their website for neighborhood info is http://southkensingtoncommunity.org/

11. John Goodman

I think we should call it soko

12. thesomersteam

thesomersteam Well-Known Member

LOL, I like SOKO !

A good friend of mine started "JNOGI" awhile back, 5 years or so ago which did not really take off (Just North of Girard)

13. Burholme06

Burholme06 Well-Known Member

This post made my day!

(That has always been my understanding of "Kenzo" as well. I have never heard someone to refer to Kensington as "Kenzo" until I started reading this forum but it now seems somewhat common.)

14. RittenhouseGirl

RittenhouseGirl Well-Known Member

Me either! I still think of it as an area with poor, violent white people.

15. phljoe

phljoe Well-Known Member

Ugh. The practice of trying to emulate New York City's reference of "SOHO" being south of Houston, is now trite and corny. Can't we come up with something more original?

16. cafeguy

cafeguy Well-Known Member

Fine...

Fine... If SoKo is gonna happen, then I wanna call the neighborhood I just moved into The OK for Olde Kensington.

Where you live?
    The OK neighborhood ... JnoGi

17. thetalkingmule

Ugh. I can feel the neighborhood losing all it's character already and it hasn't even been built up yet.

Why does everything have to be homogenized and ruined by realtors? Another New York ripoff? Really?

18. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

What's wrong with Kensington? Kenzo is awful and the other acronym names are beyond silly.

19. thetalkingmule

That's what I'm saying. What we should be enjoying is the wonderful irony of making Kensington a desirable housing destination not just trying to make it the next Northern Liberties.

When I tell my Irish relatives I live in Kensington they assume is a very nice upscale neighborhood like the Kensington hood in London. LOL! Maybe some day.

20. cafeguy

cafeguy Well-Known Member

It is interesting. I remember taking the Girard stop to The Fire at 5th and Girard in 2003 when I first got to Philly as a college kid... I remember being SO incredibly afraid of that trip. I dropped my skateboard and blasted down the street, realizing skateboards were not a common site to all who turned their head at me in a threatening way. Maybe I was just a scared newbie to the city, but things have certainly changed. Now that I am invested in the neighborhood though, with the purchase of my house... real estate monikers away! Anything to bring more people in, build up the abandoned lots, and make it a safer and nicer street to walk and live on. Of course... the endgame is always a gentrified homogenized neighborhood that obscures its roots. perhaps a lot of that can be saved, but no matter where you are... that is the end point. Just as depicted in South Park with Walmart... a good store with cheap prices eventually turns to a monster. I'm just happy I get to live in a historical home in the neighborhood while it transitions... so I can live in it before it becomes completely changed. More fun that way!

21. Sharkfood

Sharkfood Well-Known Member

Given that Kensington is at least as large if not larger than all of South Philadelphia, more specific names are needed. South Kensington
    runs from Girard all the way to Berks. That is roughly the same distance as to Girard to Spring Garden and much more than South to Washington.
    So it's already covering a larger area than some of our other neighborhoods like Bella Vista or Queen Village.

22. John Goodman

no need to use the same name as an open air drug/prostitution market 2 miles away

i don't see what's so awful about south kenzo... or soko for short lol

23. RittenhouseGirl

Considering that my ancestors were Anglo-Saxon, and the demographics of Philly were highly Anglo-American at one time, I consider what has been going on for the last 100+ years to be obscuring the roots of the area.

Of course, others will say obscuring roots would refer to the loss of American Indians, minorities, Irish, or Slavic people in the area.

Gentrification is a good thing. I would rather have higher property taxes than melting pot graffiti, junkies, and drug dealers any time.

24. thoth

thoth I LOOK LIKE THIS

Maybe including Port Richmond and Fishtown, but technically Richmond has always been historically separate, even when there were still townships. What was historically Kensington was a much smaller area than South Philly.
    http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071117041952/genealogy/images/2/26/PhilaCnty1854.jpg

Anyway it is still large, and has historically differentiated neighborhoods already. Like Fairhill and Harrowgate, while I've heard older people claim St. Edwards and St. Hughs parishes as neighborhood identifiers. Old/South Kensington seem to have been created in the 1970s as planning district names.

25. MizFormaldehyde

MizFormaldehyde Well-Known Member

I actually was at Christmas village when a woman in her late 30's, early 40's walked by me and my fiance. He suddenly busted out laughing.

The back of her shirt read :
    "The few. The proud. The Kenzos." XD

26. annie

annie Well-Known Member

As someone already pointed out, Kenzo is a noun for a person not a place. Consequently, "South Kenzo" manages to call up the exact mental image you're trying to differentiate from. There's a reason no realtors are taking this and running with it.

Kenzo Quotes: **** People Actually Said | phillyneighbor.com

Ya’knamsayin?

#26 annie, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  27. MarketStEl

MarketStEl Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash

They seem to be very supportive of development/redevelopment. But give them time - as more new arrivals move in, they will become architecture critics like their neighbors to the south in Northern Liberties.

Despite this, though, I've been using Old Kensington in our stories from the area, partly because the search engine on our site uses that term but not South Kensington, partly because I like the sound of it, not unlike Old City.

My recollection is that Broad Street Subway stations are spaced at roughly one-half mile intervals outside Center City, with the distance between Lombard-South and Ellsworth-Federal slightly longer, about 0.7 mile. Ellsworth Street is one block south of Washington Avenue.

Market-Frankford Line stations are similarly spaced, and again, the distance from Girard to Berks is a little longer than average.

Berks Street is about as far north of Girard Avenue as Ellsworth Street is south of South Street. The territory covered is about the same.

Gauging distances north of Spring Garden Street using the street grid is a little tricky because the E-W streets bend to the south east of Broad. (This, btw, is why the house numbers on North Broad and the streets to its west jump 300 at Girard Avenue: the 1000 and 1100 blocks N disappear as their cross streets do.)

I agree with you that gentrification is a good thing, or at least not as bad as its critics say it is. Poorer residents of gentrifying neighborhoods get an opportunity to cash in if they sell their homes, and I've read studies that show that poorer residents who remain end up better off as well. The rate of displacement doesn't accelerate either: it seems that the process of gentrification is no different from the normal process of population turnover in urban neighborhoods except that the new arrivals are better off than those who left.

However, I still think that not only you but many others exaggerate both the dangers of those poorer folk and the difference between them and the rest of us. Not to say there are no dangers in poorer neighborhoods - there are. They just don't seem to me as great as some say they are.

If you want to get really technical about it, the obscuring of the area's roots began the moment William Penn landed. :)

28. RittenhouseGirl

I don't think being in a poor neighborhood is dangerous if poverty is the only factor. But once crime, drugs, and dissolution of family values take hold, it is a recipe for disaster.This is the case in many poverty-stricken neighborhoods. It is sad to look at the landscape of Philadelphia and see just how rampant urban decay is. I think gentrification is the only factor that will bring any of these neighborhoods back.

29. DocAwesome

DocAwesome The Doctor is In

Civic involvement as a primary driver would be a much better descriptor of what would bring some poorer neighborhoods back (and I'm not sure all that much how applicable this is to much of South/Old/Olde Kensington) than gentrification. Usually the latter brings in the former, but the two are not codependent. To claim the only savior of a run down neighborhood would be the importation of the carefree well-to-do would in my opinion be somewhat insulting, considering so many bombed out neighborhoods that have had revitializations just based upon their own work.
    ETA The addition of money to do gut jobs on decaying buildings can make a place look nicer for sure, though prettiness is rather overrated proxy for determining the functionality and cohesiveness of a neighborhood. Still, I guess one doesn't want houses falling down everywhere.

#29 DocAwesome, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  30. Malloy

Malloy Administrator
    Staff Member

What about JUNOGI?