Septa Key questions

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Transportation & SEPTA' started by szekely, Apr 9, 2019.

1. szekely

szekely Well-Known Member

(1) Does anyone else have to reset their password each and every time they visit the site? I do. The password never works, but the answer to the Security Question that comes after Forgot My Password always works.

(2) Can we now use these cards for regional rail?

I'll be slogging through some of these threads and googling, but it might take me a while to find the answer, so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks in advance.

2. Elliott87

Elliott87 Well-Known Member

1) I have three separate Key card accounts for family members and have never once had to change a password. Two are just travel wallets, and one is to load a monthly TransPass. Is it possible you have disabled cookies, or that the system thinks you are on a shared computer.

2) As of a few weeks ago the travel wallet part still is not usable on Regional Rail trains. It is my understanding you can get a Trailpass loaded on a Key Card, but I do not know anyone who has one.Hopefully someone who has one will chime in.

3. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

I do. Auto-renews monthly. Easy peasey.

It's hit or miss on whether the conductors want to bother checking it using the readers, or even if the readers work. Although the latter seems to have improved in the past few months.

4. daninpa

daninpa Cheesesteak GURU!

I believe only zone 3 and 4 riders can get septa key as a beta. SEPTA | News & Events

I did see someone use a key card on CHW line a few months ago. The conductor took our his PDA and swiped/tapped/scanned the card. That has been the only time though.

5. Tartan69

I think you're right about the zones. FWIW it is pretty clear the conductors hate this...the PDA scanning process definitely slows them down. I feel bad until I recall that I no longer have to worry about remembering to buy a trailpass every month.

6. szekely

szekely Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses.

I've done some searching. It appears that you can now buy a ticket from the airport toward 30th Street (whereas in the past the only option was to buy it on the train at a higher price), but that is a separate thing from the Septa Key card. Very confusing. From 30th to the airport: I still have to go to the ticket office.

I once had a Septa Key card in my lap on the way back from the airport because I was going to ask the conductor if I could use it. Before I could say anything, he pointed at the card and said "ok" and moved on. :) That's the only time I "used" it on regional rail, and I doubt it will happen again.

As for the login problem, still working on it.

7. daninpa

I wish they did have Key for RR. Left my wallet on a trolley the day after I bought my March trailpass on February 28th. Thankfully the wallet was found but my $10 and my March trailpass was taken. Key would have avoided paying for a new one.

Tartan69 likes this.
  8. Tartan69

I've found that roughly a third to a half of the conductors on my line will do this, but it is almost always the same ones. My assumption is that they have a pretty good sense for who is reliably paying and who isn't.

9. daninpa