Self-Segregation in Charter Schools

Discussion in 'Parenting and Education' started by MarketStEl, Mar 15, 2017.

1. MarketStEl

MarketStEl Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash

West Mount Airy wouldn't have happened if it hadn't been for a couple of real estate agents in that community who said, "We're not gonna allow fearmongering and panic to take root here." It took conscious effort - and some persuasion of their fellow white residents (and would-be homebuyers) - to achieve that.

That's the reason we talk about places like Mt. Airy and Oak Park, the western suburb of Chicago that outlawed For Sale signs and had a committee of real estate agents that actively - yes - steered buyers of one race onto blocks where the other was in the majority.

The usual course of events produced neighborhoods like the one I grew up in, Oak Park on Kansas City's east side, or the newer portion of East Mount Airy known as Cedarbrook.

Middle-class blacks - very respectable people, folks - moved to these neighborhoods in search not only of better - they were looking to live in a mixed-race community. They got that for a brief golden moment before they wound up living just among themselves again. But the neighborhoods held. Standards of maintenance and upkeep were the same. If the schools weren't, it wasn't for lack of interest among the parents.

The difference is one of class - and that's a distinction I'm afraid too many, not all of them white, fail to note or observe.

Either of you been through Cedarbrook much?

Keep an eye out for a long article on Next City next week.

2. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

Class is all. Next?

3. MarketStEl

I've already gone on about what made Mt. Airy and Oak Park different, but want to explicitly call this out, for it's really completely off base.

No, it was not "whitey trying to hold the blacks down" - but neither was it waiting to see whether standards declined to pull up roots.

It was assuming they would simply by virtue of the newcomers being black. That is the textbook definition of prejudice.

The reason it is the "standard narrative" is because the whites didn't give their new neighbors a fighting chance in most cases - and they wouldn't have in Mount Airy or Oak Park either had it not been for conscious, deliberate action on the part of whites who saw that was wrong.

4. MarketStEl

If class were all, Cedarbrook would be integrated today.

5. billy ross

billy ross Well-Known Member

My wife and I were both very impressed when we traversed Cedarbrook not so long ago. I honestly believe that it's in better shape now than it was 10 years ago - it was gorgeous! I'd love to understand the dynamic there. I suspect that it resolves around social capital, which some refer to as class. However, in my worldview in one lifetime a body or a community can amass significant social capital, while class requires generational changeover. But I agree with you about the visceral appeal there and I'm eager to understand the dynamic which has dealt nicely with the creeping obsolescence / disinvestment that I used to observe there.

It could be better banking. A better contracting community. A vibrant gardening community. But things just looked lovingly cared for. And interestingly it would fit in with a NW Philly theme of renewal from within. This phenomenon hasn't received any press, but generally - with the notable exception of Manayunk - redevelopment in NW Philly hasn't been foisted upon the community by 'outsiders'. Instead it's involved neighborhoods adressing their ills head on and neighbors and business owners dealing with those ills to improve the quality of life in the community. So its been more renewal of communities rather than displacement of communities. Yes they welcome newcomers. And the communities do evolve over time. But there are constants also. This is very much unlike places like Fishtown where their character is being changed dramatically seemingly overnight.

#35 billy ross, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
  6. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Only slightly off-topic, but the recent incident at Cheltenham was far worse casualty-wise than originally reported.
    Cheltenham teachers say administrators ignored pleas for help with unruly students

fiveomar likes this.
  7. Hospitalitygirl

8. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

NickleDimer and Hospitalitygirl like this.
  9. Templeton

Templeton Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why it has to be either or. Some people flee/fled for racist reasons, and some people flee/fled truly for Quality of Life reasons.

10. Hospitalitygirl

Templeton likes this.
  11. Templeton

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  12. billy ross

billy ross Well-Known Member

Germantown High, like everything else in Germantown, was once very nice indeed. Ralph Roberts and Lynne Abraham went there. Then standards 'slipped'. It was down to around 400 students when they finally put a bullet in it. When the perception of high quality goes away, it's very hard to get it back.

That said, Cheltenham High feeds many kids into my son's Germantown-based choir. It could be selection bias, but I'm impressed by the kids. More importantly, they seem really into their school. And they give me no feedback about 'issues' at the school. But it doesn't take many incidents like this to get people fleeing for the exits. Being that I'm a fan of mixing of the rich and poor (and the middle!), I sincerely hope that the PTB in Cheltenham get this under control before it reaches a tipping point.

#42 billy ross, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
    fiveomar, eldondre and Templeton like this.
  13. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

Cheltenham High School - Wyncote, Pennsylvania - PA | GreatSchools
    it doesn't come off like a Germantown high type of place but as you pointed out, you don't want it to become a place like Ben Franklin which can't even attract in catchment kids due to a long history of violence and poor performance
    Franklin Benjamin High School - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - PA | GreatSchools

14. MarketStEl

Would you be interested in hearing a bunch of people discuss this very subject on Thursday in the early evening?

Doing the discussing along with the audience will be the City Council member whose district includes the neighborhood, a resident who has long been active in block and political affairs and runs a service agency for homeless veterans across town in Frankford, one of the number-crunchers at the Reinvestment Fund who produced data on how this neighborhood stacks up against other middle-income neighborhoods citywide, and the reporter who turned those numbers and conversations with the people involved into a feature story on the neighborhood and the crossroads it sits astride.

That last person would be me. The article should go live on Next City Monday, I suspect.

Next City is also sponsoring the panel discussion at Relish restaurant in West Oak Lane Thursday evening. It's free, and so are the drinks and food, but you must RSVP in advance if you plan to attend. You can do that here.

15. MarketStEl

Your son wouldn't be in the Keystone State Boychoir, would he?

I attend services now at the church where that choir practices, First Presbyterian in Germantown. Its associate pastor and I are old buddies going back to college days.

I hear that the Philadelphia Gay Men's Chorus has a joint performance in the works with the Keystone State Boychoir too.

16. Templeton

Back-to-School Nightmare: Student Transcripts Vanish After Charter Closes

The humorous thing is the lady complaining that the SDP didn't have the charter school's records. The scary thing is that her son "fortunately" was able to go to Sankofa Freedom Academy Charter School Sankofa Freedom Academy Charter School - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - PA | GreatSchools

How many hundreds of thousands of dollars are those clowns sucking up of our hard earned money? Too many of these schools are just easy money for politically connected people whose number one goal is self-enrichment. But I guess all parents know whats best for their children.

17. Templeton

Report: U.S. wasted $1 billion on charter schools

One of my biggest concerns about charter schools was the probability that that would attract people seeking to open "McSchools" to enrich themselves at the peoples expense. It seems that cost is now one billion dollars.

18. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Lakey and Templeton like this.
  19. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

Like so many things in the past few decades and the conservative vision of smaller government and outsourcing education to the private sector, the civic part of civic function in traditional government disappears. So civic and or civil or civilized disappears from the the equation. Education is no longer a civic or civil function of government, it merely is a function lost on some spreadsheet limbo. Less government is no government. Is chaos. Is Anarchy? Little wonder "Civics" is no longer taught in the "Function" of edicashun.

Templeton likes this.
  20. Lakey

Lakey Well-Known Member

The amount of money wasted is far more than a billion dollars. This series of articles is focused on NJ but it could just as easily have been written about PA. NJ charter schools: Tax money is disappearing into a flawed experiment

Online charters are a nearly $500 million scam perpetrated on PA taxpayers annually. “All but one of the state’s 15 cyber charters ranked in the bottom quartile of all schools on Pennsylvania’s rating system in 2017.” The death of cyber charter schools in Pa.?

Then there is the Aspira saga which is entirely representative of how difficult it is to stop charter shenanigans. Everyone knows they’re grifting but PA law makes it close to impossible to do anything about it. Auditor general blasts Aspira and Pa. charter-school law

And the best part is that taxpayers get to pay the legal fees for charter scammers as they spend years fighting to keep public funds lining their pockets In charter-renewal fight, Philadelphia School District ‘paying for both sides’

Dwight Evans was the lead sponsor of PA’s charter law. Grifting is part of the DNA of charters. It’s a feature not a bug.

Templeton, Hospitalitygirl and Jayfar like this.