Roundhouse to Inky Building?

Discussion in 'Fairmount / Spring Garden / Francisville' started by billy ross, May 31, 2016.

1. billy ross

billy ross Well-Known Member

Sources: Police Are Considering Moving Headquarters to Old Inquirer Building

Evidently the cops who moved to Bensalem and Feasterville dread the commute to West Philly, so they put the kibosh on the move to 46th and Market. Ironically PPD's membership is so troglodytic that they are afraid to use the el to get to the courts. They have every intention of driving from the new Roundhouse to the courts because they think the subway and the el are dangerous. And because they're immune from getting tickets.

#1 billy ross, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
    Scoats likes this.
  2. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

Having been one who needed easy access between the DA's Office, the Courts and the PAB, a move to W. Philadelphia was beyond inconvenient. This one makes far more sense. But hey, Ross, you know from troglodytes, right.

eldondre likes this.
  3. Cro Burnham

Cro Burnham Well-Known Member

One more piece in the mounting stinky heap of evidence that Jim Kenney is a real backward idiot, and, I'm assuming, one that is likely getting suckered into making some loser deal with Blatstein to bail his ass out of a development he has neither the interest nor the capacity to undertake.

4. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

So, maybe..maybe not?

5. billy ross

Taking the el between the three isn't convenient? It isn't exactly an easy walk from the Inky building to the others you mentioned, and the drive is time consuming if you park legally. Which the police of course don't. The police want the Inky building because they can't stand the drive from Bucks County to West Philly. I think the city should utilize the air rights above the tracks near 30th Street as a poke in the eye to the fools who moved to Japip and thought that was a smart move. That way everyone who lives near the el is advantaged. I'm still mad that they moved the FOP lodge as close as they could get it to Bucks County and still have it be in Philly. That way all of the cops can get loaded and not have so far to drive home. As if that makes sense.

Hopefully they'll figure out what makes sense operationally and financially and go in that direction. And hopefully they can take advantage of any programs that are out there if they go the route of historic preservation, to help keep the costs to the city down.

I honestly don't know whether the city has the capacity to be a developer. I don't know who paid for the new family court, but I remember that there was legal thievery in that deal that Inga Saffron figured out and exposed that crooked and greedy lawyer so that at least everyone can know how despicable he is.

#5 billy ross, May 31, 2016
    fiveomar likes this.
  6. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Few additional details on philly.com:

City eyeing former newspaper building as police headquarters | Philly.com

7. billy ross

Interesting. I hadn't considered the possibility that the highest and best use of the 46th and Market site may be some University City Science Center type use. I know the police rank and file don't want that site. But could this be driven by some deep pocketed sharks circling that site? For a city starved for economic development for decades and with much catch up to play, that would be great news indeed. Hope springs eternal. Wouldn't it be awesome if 46th and Market became a hot commodity?

#7 billy ross, May 31, 2016
  8. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

The court building was a Rendell Era grab of state money that was mismanaged (why everyone loves philadelphia). It's a short walk to the inky. I don't see why officers would be taking the El, more likely they'd still be driving if it's as 46th

9. Hospitalitygirl

Sigh...so many officers, particularly detectives in Homicide, actually DO walk from the current location to the DA's Office. But go on, keep thinking you're so much smarter and know so much more than everyone else.

There are many officers, particularly commanders, from OTHER districts, who will drive to the PAB because there aren't many easy ways in, or, they have very limited times in which to get in and get out.

The officers who have worked in the PAB are those such as FIU; Chem Lab, and Homicide Detectives. Everyone else is in and out.

10. Scoats

Scoats Well-Known Member

Since officers in uniform ride for free, and because the El runs pretty good during the day, the West Philly location is actually a good fit for getting to/from the courts.

But how often does someone from HQ go to court? Seriously I don't know. Logically it would seem it be district officers testifying, not people working out of HQ.

fiveomar likes this.
  11. Scoats

Scoats Well-Known Member

The article says the department outgrew the Roundhouse. Since the city population at best has been static since the building was built and machines have gotten smaller since then too, how is this possible?

eldondre likes this.
  12. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

The City Has Sunk $40 Million Into a New Police Headquarters It Might Not Use | Phillymag.com

13. Hospitalitygirl

More layers of administration and specialized units that operate out of headquarters rather than districts.

14. Hospitalitygirl

You may have misread something I wrote. There are some officers who go to court or the DA's Office from the PAB. There are also the other units in the PAB currently, who need to deal with the courts or DA's Office. Most officers going to court on a regular basis do so when they are attached to a district in some part of the city or other. Many (probably most) actually DO ride Septa back and forth on court days

As for the PD personnel that does have to go to and from headquarters to court or the DA's Office, often they carry some evidence. No thanks--I do not want officers taking evidence on Septa.

15. eldondre

Jayfar and fiveomar like this.
  16. daveydoo

daveydoo Well-Known Member

Chicago's is on the south side at 35th & Michigan Avenue. It's about 6 blocks from US Cellular (White Sox) Field.

17. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

I just Googled around a bit and it looks like most PD headquarters are downtown. But in fairness, most city's "downtown" isn't as finite as Center City. I don't think 46th Street is too out of the way. I think it's a great reuse of that space too. I'm kind of surprised they're not keeping the Roundhouse as a downtown facility since that's what it was custom-built for.

18. eldondre

Nobody seems to have nice things to say for its design on the inside so perhaps it never quite worked for its intended purpose. While 46th st isn't too far out it is out. Many cities have finite downtowns, some. Are even smaller than ours. It doesn't make it right or wrong just different..or perhaps reflective of difficulties moving them out. fewer institutional uses would be good for Franklin square

19. boognish

boognish Well-Known Member

Remember a few years ago when a guy escaped from a holding cell or interrogation room and fell through the ceiling into a whole room full of cops? I think things like that might be why they need to move.

Anyway, I have to say, as a West Philly guy, there are entire months when I don't travel into Center City. It might as well be a different world. I go down Washington every weekend or so for pho or shopping, but I usually only go into CC for my haircuts at Groom.

Hospitalitygirl and eldondre like this.