Rite Aid bought by Walgreens for 9 Billion

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Business' started by mixiboi, Oct 28, 2015.

1. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

I'm a regular rite aid shopper due to the locations of its stores (Don't know which ones were sold). Product mix is fine, would be great if it were more regional than walgreens and cvs. One of their biggest issues has been free cash flow to reinvest in their properties

#31 eldondre, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  2. Scoats

Scoats Well-Known Member

Because of decades of mismanagement? Literally decades.

3. Bixbyte

Bixbyte Well-Known Member

SO, THE FTC (government and politicians) must Bankrupt Rite Aid and force the consumer to pay more for Medication?
    What about the people that shop regularly at Rite Aid?
    Punish those shoppers or the convenience of Rite Aid's Locations.
    Walgreen is acting like a White Knight.
    They are bending over backwards to help Rite Aid continue.
    Take away 2000 stores and keep 3000 stores, lower drug prices and eliminate their Debt!
    PLUS, RAD management could be removed by a proxy battle since insiders only own 5% of the stock.
    Why are we waiting for?
    Fix this F*ing POS already instead we have regulators and politicians blocking the deal to restructure Rite Aid.

4. Scoats

Scoats Well-Known Member

The free market seems to be doing a good job of bankrupting Rite Aid.

Drug prices a huge problem and a major issue regardless of whether Rite Aid exists or not.

Hopefully the Rite Aid you shop at is better, but I feel punished every time I walk into the one near me. I am astonished every time that it is run a major corporation. And this has been going on for years.

There's kind of a chicken and egg situation there. Existing shareholders have allowed decades of mismanagement to occur. Literally decades. This dissuades new investors to buy stock, the sort who would push for a change of management.

fiveomar likes this.
  5. Bixbyte

Bixbyte Well-Known Member

When the Republicans change Obamacare I wonder what effects this will have on the pharmacies?
    Rite Aid sells cigarettes so they are not accepted for many medical insurances.

#35 Bixbyte, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  6. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very oldĀ®

Albertson's now to buy the remainder of Rite Aid (consisting of the stores Walgreens didn't acquire).

Grocery chain Albertsons to acquire Rite Aid CNBC.com

Grocery chain Albertsons announced plans to acquire Rite AidTuesday, as the traditional grocery industry continues to look for growth by broadening offerings, not just store base.

A combined Albertsons and Rite Aid would have a value of roughly $24 billion, including debt. The two will together have about 4,900 locations, 4,350 pharmacy counters, and 320 clinics across 38 states and Washington, D.C.

Most Albertsons' pharmacies will be rebranded as Rite Aid, and the company will continue to operate Rite Aid's stand-alone pharmacies.

Shares of Rite Aid skyrocketed 30 percent in premarket trading.

This deal follows Rite Aid's failed attempt in 2015 to sell to its 4,600 stores to Walgreens. That deal was whittled down by regulators to a purchase of 1,932 stores for $4.37 billion.

[snip]​

7. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very oldĀ®