Rental property issue...

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Real Estate' started by toxigal, Jul 13, 2016.

1. toxigal

toxigal Well-Known Member

The rental property next to my home has never been kept well, but lately it is getting really bad. the outside faucet is beyond dripping, The yard is completely overrun with weeds, including one weed tree thing that is at least 10' tall.

Every year I use 311 to report the yard, but it takes 20 working days for someone to come inspect and then they give hem 60-90 days to remedy the issue.

I tried talking to the people who live there, with no luck.

I just checked and it seems the licence expired at the end of February and the taxes due have exceeded 6K and it has been sent to collections.

Is there anything else I can do? It is really starting to effect quality of life around me.

2. billy ross

billy ross Well-Known Member

Affect. You or a friend should initiate the tax sale process. Or offer to buy it yourself - I'm sure it'd be cheap. Or involve the councilwoman' office. Or tell the tenants they don't need to pay rent in the absence of a license. Or some combination of the above. I believe that your local committeeman is on the warpath about nuisance

3. toxigal

Thanks Billy. you would think as a scientist I'd be able to figure out effect/affect but it continues to confuse the hell out of me no matter how many times I google "when to use effect and affect".

I will contact my council woman. There has been a lot of positive improvements on my street but there are a few homes that are really falling apart. and they are all right in a row. I think the one house currently has about 92 (i may be exaggerating a bit) people living in it....plus they all apparently "home school" which appears to mean "let the kids run around all day while we smoke pot on the porch"....

4. toxigal

So, i used the city webpage to email my council critter...no response. I suppose i'll try again.

fiveomar likes this.
  5. OakmontGuy

OakmontGuy NE Philadelphia Proud!

I'd recommend visiting your "council critter's" office in person and speaking with one of their staff. From experience, that approach gets the fastest, most effective results. Bring as much documentation as you can. Organize that documentation and plan on leaving it (IE Bring copies, not originals) with them. In other words, handing them a well organized packet with dates, pictures, and other evidence goes a lot further than showing up with your phone and showing them a bunch of hastily taken pictures that they can't keep.

Leaving messages and emails become just another complaint in the pile. The in person complaints tend to get dealt with first.

fiveomar likes this.