Reading Terminal Market Management Bungles Seating Big-Time!

Discussion in 'Food and Drink (Philadelphia Restaurants & Bars)' started by JimofPennsylvan, Jan 24, 2018.

1. JimofPennsylvan

JimofPennsylvan Well-Known Member

Reading Terminal Market eateries are super, patrons of the Market really enjoy eating the food they buy at these establishments one can see it in the expressions and comments of the Market's customers as they eat the food they've purchased there! Often though, the one significant shortcoming of a Reading Terminal Market dining experience is the challenge of finding seating especially on a Saturday or a day when there is a big convention in town or some big event going on in the City like the Army/Navy game. The Market's customers have to wait for people sitting down eating to finish and leave or a party of people will have to go take seats and then a portion of the party will go select and purchase food at the eateries as the balance of the party guards the seats and then when they return the members of the party guarding the seats will then go and select and buy their food!

What is particularly disturbing is that in the last two weeks the Market management has shrunk the seating area in the Market. There is two main seating areas the larger one in the center of the Market and a smaller one on the Arch street side of the Market the latter one had seating for around fifty to sixty people. In the last two weeks, the Market management added a vendor called the "Pennsylvania General Store" which took about twenty-five percent of this seating area. This business's merchandise is largely candy and cookies like the Market really needs another candy/cookie vendor. By this move not only did the Market management take away this desperately needed seating area but in so doing they spoiled one of the assets of the Market because this Arch street seating area had a piano in it and often there was a person playing the piano, players that were also often very good which the Market patrons really enjoyed and this has been ended as this vendor is located right where the piano was located!

The Market management has a history of bungling seating capacity in the Market for at least the last three Christmas seasons the management eliminated the Arch street seating area for toy train displays. It is simply bewildering and wrong that they do this in light of the fact that the Market's patron volume goes up dramatically this time of year as the City's offerings related to Christmas pulls in people from the region that once downtown go to the Market for a nice lunch. The train display used to be outside of the Hard Rock Cafe until they expanded it several years ago, this is no criticism of the train displays they are beautiful displays they just don't belong in the Reading Terminal Market because there is no room for them there; maybe an arrangement could be worked out with the Pennsylvania Convention Center to locate the display or displays in the hallway of the Convention Center!

It would be interesting for the public to know what the Reading Terminal Market's vendors think about this taking of the seating area in the Market. Anyone with common sense knows that people that have patronized the Market several times have picked up on this problem, the hassle in finding seating, and this problem causes them to cut down on their patronizing of the Market in the future. The Reading Terminal Market isn't a private business where pursuit of greed can be attempted to be defended the Market is a non-profit it should be run with the goal of protecting it as the extremely valuable asset of the community which it is and hopefully will be into the future indefinitely!

2. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very oldĀ®

Just an FYI, Pennsylvania General Store, which sells products of PA, has been an RTM tenant for at least a couple decades.

EDIT: Since 1987: About Us | Pennsylvania General Store

#2 Jayfar, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  3. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

I have avoided grabbing lunch at RTM for a long time specifically because of the overcrowding and poor seating experience

4. boognish

boognish Well-Known Member

When I worked in CC, I would grab my lunch and then eat in the beer garden. Luckily, during the dot com era, it wasn't a big deal.

Now, I doubt that would fly, and you can't bring your food into the revamped garden.

5. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

I have done the beer garden, but only when i've been able to have a drink. Not a great idea at lunch during the work week. #NotDonDraper