Puerto Rico's Heroin Solution: Send them to Philly

Discussion in 'Local and State' started by DCnPhilly, Apr 19, 2017.

1. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

I'll let the article speak for itself because there's quite a bit of information packed in there, but basically, cities in Puerto Rico are "solving" their opioid epidemic by putting them on one-way flights to Philadelphia. Families and addicts are shown brochures from resort-style rehab facilities on the mainland and offered a free trip to Philly. It sounds like an ideal opportunity: kick back and relax for a month, then go home clean.

But when they arrive, they're taken to Kensington and bunked in a flophouse run by a "minister" who tells them to pray their problems away. If you think junkies deserve what they have coming to them, and maybe some do, these aren't just poorly run and understaffed rehab centers, they're financial exploitation centers. Addicts are told to immediately apply for food stamps and any welfare or unemployment benefits they have coming to them, and then those running the house administer that money, i.e. they keep it. They're also stripped of their IDs making them reluctant to leave.

Most eventually do anyway, right onto the streets of Kensington where heroin's Ground Zero is waiting to greet them. It sounds like a movie, and probably will be someday. I used to joke that New York solved its homeless problem by putting them all on buses to Philadelphia and Baltimore, but now that doesn't sound so far fetched.

The story recently captured the attention of Dr. Oz, who went to Kensington to get junkies living under the Conrail tracks to shoot up on camera for ratings. But I'm really surprised that it hasn't caught the attention of the federal government. I mean I guess it's not technically illegal for a city to use tax funds to send addicts out of town (Hawaii has a similar program with its homeless population), but I would think that these "rehab facilities" would be held to certain organizational standards. I guess they're exempt because they're run as churches.

Whatever the case, the article is worth the read. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned on here before. As bleak as it is, it's pretty amazing it's been happening under the radar for so long.

Puerto Rico's solution to heroin crisis: one-way tickets to Philly

vampyre927 and mixiboi like this.
  2. Frejo

Frejo Well-Known Member

This was news months ago. There was a huge expose on Philly.com. Guess you were too obsessed with pussy snowflake Hillary Lost riots to notice,

vampyre927 likes this.
  3. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

maybe the federal government should bring medicare/Medicaid parity to Puerto Rico. the article also highlights what people in Philadelphia have known for some time, there are plenty of flophouses and clinics who simply use addicts for their government benefits.

4. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

good
    presumably this won't just be for the air bridge but for all of these "recovery" houses

fiveomar likes this.
  5. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

Nice contribution. The article I posted is the expose on Philly.com from months ago, and I posted it because it was interesting and hadn't been discussed here. If you're not interested, don't comment. Believe it or not, not every comment is a cue to spout seventh grade rhetoric about Hillary Clinton. Grab another glass of Kentucky Gentleman and go back to harassing tweens in the YouTube comments.

mixiboi and Jayfar like this.
  6. Frejo

Frejo Well-Known Member

Truth hurt, snowflake?