Protest Anti-Gay Sports Camp

Discussion in 'Volunteer' started by ecoffin86, May 6, 2013.

1. ecoffin86

ecoffin86 New Member

Peace Advocacy Network (PAN), 501(c)3, a Philadelphia-based social justice organization, plans to protest a "Sports Camp" being held by an anti-gay Catholic organization called Courage. The international Catholic group holds meetings around the world in an attempt to coerce gay individuals into living a completely chaste life, by perpetuating lies and distortions such as their "Health Risks of Gay Sex" handout that warns homosexuality may lead to "fatal injuries due to various forms of sadism."

On May 23rd from 4-6 PM activists supporting PAN will gather at the corner of City Ave. and Wynnewood Ave. in Lower Merion to voice their opposition to the 14th Annual Sports Camp, which claims to help gay men repair their "Sports Wound" and become manlier (a.k.a. less gay). Last year, one Sports Camp participant told the Philadelphia Inquirer, "One time a teammate gave me a sweaty celebratory hug. He was humbly secure in himself, just as he was, selflessly and joyfully showing affection to others. I also liked when one man, whom I’d felt intimated by, gave me a pat on my belly." The three-day event costs participants $395 each.

Beyond the absurdity of the Sports Camp, PAN also has concerns about the connection between Courage and two West Conshohocken therapists they believe are conducting "conversion therapy" and are in touch with an individual who alleges he was pushed to join Courage by one of the therapists after revealing his sexuality. The therapists in question, of the Institute for Marital Healing, are champions of the "ex-gay" movement and appear to have strong ties to Courage. They also had a series of ethics complaints filed against them last year with both the PA state licensing board and the American Psychological Association in regards to allegedly conducting "conversion therapy."

Members of PAN and other local LGBT groups have been speaking with PA legislators about introducing a bill in Pennsylvania that would effectively ban the practice of "conversion therapy" by licensed practitioners and expect a bill to be introduced this year, similar to the one passed in California. PAN thinks these types of legislation are good step in the right direction, but are concerned that religious organizations will still remain exempt from the practice which has been debunked by mainstream psychological and medical authorities.

Learn more:

A Camp for Sports and Avoiding Gay Sex: A camp for sports and avoiding gay sex - Philly.com

Complaints Against Local Therapists: PGN-The Philadelphia Gay News. Phila gay news. philly news - Complaints filed against local therapists

Wolf In Sheep's Clothing: Courage and "Conversion" Therapy: Ed Coffin: Wolf in Sheep's Clothing: Courage and 'Conversion' Therapy

Coverage on WHYY: Peace Advocacy Network anti-"conversion" therapy coverage on WHYY 082812 - YouTube

Email ed@peaceadvocacynetwork.org if you are interested in attending!

2. NickleDimer

NickleDimer Well-Known Member

Why all of a sudden protest just this camp?
    The world's largest anti-gay organization has been sitting at that intersection since 1871.

3. PhilaCap

PhilaCap Well-Known Member

They're only anti-gay when there's no minors involved.

4. Preesi

Preesi Well-Known Member

I was never so proud as I was when the Phelps's (and Joel Osteen) blocked me on twitter

5. loveisnoise

loveisnoise Well-Known Member

what the hell is wrong with joel osteen?!

6. Preesi

Preesi Well-Known Member

OMG

Hes one of those slimey prosperity evangelicals.
    A Shyster.
    He takes ppls money
    Ministers should live like Christ,
    Ministers should take a living wage, not steal.
    That money should serve the community and needy flock members

Joel Osteen is a smiling slimeball
    Joel Osteen is a MONEYCHANGER and Jesus hated the money changers and Joel Osteen will go to hell!

7. loveisnoise

You do realize that he makes exactly 0 dollars from his church, right?

8. Preesi

Preesi Well-Known Member

MINISTRY IS MINISTRY IS MINISTRY...
    Its all CHURCH..
    If GOD is speaking thru you and you write a religious book about what GOD is telling you to write, God is making
    you write that book to sell it to FEED PEOPLE and help save peoples houses from foreclosure, he is not
    guiding you to pocket that money to buy multi million $$$ houses and the finest ammenities for yourself.
    This is SICKENING;

[​IMG]

9. loveisnoise

Where is it in the bible that a person can't make money from their accomplishments ?

10. Preesi

Preesi Well-Known Member

Again

If you are a CHRISTIAN Minister and YOU write a book about how to live better AS A CHRISTIAN, thus MINISTERING to people thru books and not just the pulpit,
    then you are speaking for GOD and its not really YOU writing the book, it is GOD and thus any money from the book is akin to passing the plate and the money in
    the plate that they pass at church is for the running of the church and for needy FLOCK MEMBERS and not for a Yacht or a Million Dollar Mansion or a gold terlit
    for YOU.

The lies and shysterism has been gong for so long that people dont even GET that anymore.

11. loveisnoise

No....

AGAIN>

Show me where it says preachers should be poor. It doesn't.

You would want paid a fair stipend for your works, and I highly doubt that you would just give all the money away like a good like a good little christian.

Ministry is like any other job and deserves compensated for the work done.

Sounds to me that someone is merely against Christianity and is finding something to poke about.

12. Preesi

Preesi Well-Known Member

Scroll up and read where I conceded that Ministers SHOULD take a living wage...I said that.

I have written a 2 part book (first part is 200 pages long, Im not sure how long the second part is exactly but its probably 200 pages)
    I might put it out for free on the internet because I feel at times a SPIRITUAL LIFE FORCE wrote parts of it thru me, so other young girls like I was
    growing up can be helped by it.

Plain and simple JOEL OSTEEN is of the Devil and is a money changer, people who act like him DO NOT TRULY CARE ABOUT PEOPLE!
    Hes a megalomaniac who uses God to get things and money

13. loveisnoise

You're a girl? whoah-I always imagined a guy with a tinfoil hat playing playstation with drewrob in his mom's basement.

Well, at anyrate, that just won't fly. When people get something for free, they do one thing with it-toss it aside. No one likes free. No matter how many times people claim to love free, it goes unappreciated and untouched.

So are you saying that the united way is a worthless organization since its CEO is one of the highest paid in America?

To suggest that Joel Osteen doesn't care about people shows a level of assumption based merely on money-which would make you as bad as any perceived 'devil and money changer'. In fact, I think many historical assassins had an equivalent tone before 'cleansing the earth'.

14. Preesi

Preesi Well-Known Member

WTF!

I am a 46 yr old woman!

In my opinion No "charity" organization or religious organization volunteer or worker or "CEO" (why is there a CEO of a charity?) should make more than a living wage.

Maybe Im just too honest, genuine and real and decent for the society today...

It really bothers me that you think Im some loser living in a basement, when Im an honest decent mother who is home every night, doesnt smoke nor drink, and pays my taxes and is good to people. REALLY REALLY BOTHERS ME.

As for the tin foil hat shiznit, SORRY but if you are referring to the TPP stuff its true and happening and yes its scary and when it affects US here in the USA then you wont think Im so Tin Foil hatty [sic]

15. Preesi

Preesi Well-Known Member

Ya know Im highly OFFENDED by that!

WTF

16. loveisnoise

Your rant merely shows your general ignorance towards the word, which would make you ineligible to help anyone with guidance.

"No charity", as you call it, are 501c3 corporations. As corporations, they have the same exact hierarchy as for-profit corporations.

It's not that you're honest-it's that you're naive and have this perception of good=martyrdom and evil=make money, which is in absolute contrast to the bible.

Oh-and smokers and drinkers pay more taxes than you so I don't quite know what imaginary pillar you're setting yourself on.

17. BumpyMagoo

BumpyMagoo Banned

How exactly does he "take" their money?

What exactly is a living wage?

Has law enforcement been notified of his crimes?

18. Radical Ed

Radical Ed Public Nuisance

Wasn't this thread originally about protesting against people who disagree with the concept of homosexuality?
    As long as you don't slap your genitals up against a child or an animal, who really cares what a person does to get their rocks off anyway?
    To each their own.

19. drewrob23

drewrob23 Well-Known Member

And for some damn reason my name was mentioned.

Personally ministers who preach about prosperity pretty much slap people in the face whose faith and work ethic is just as hard as the Christians who make alot of money. Bishop Eddie Long is one of those ministers who tries to credit his fortune off of his belief in god when it's gullible people in his congregation who are responsible for his riches.

20. hausfrau

hausfrau Well-Known Member

Thank you, Drewrob, very well said.

21. hausfrau

hausfrau Well-Known Member

I agree with you, Preesi, as do many others.

Is this a joke? Those that are offended by "Prosperity Christianity' are rarely anti-Christian, just the opposite.

My goodness, not only are you a Biblical scholar but also an expert on prosperity. Mighty rich coming from someone whom declared bankruptcy so cavalierly.

22. govtstatistic

govtstatistic coverup public corru

some people are just the UN-accountable
    as they constantly stand up for the UN-accountability of others

any idea on who he beat out of money while he filed for bankruptcy?
    awww doesn't matter im sure the taxpayers picked it up

23. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

Thank you! And in a city like Philadelphia, this organization is nothing but the butt of a joke. So much so that this political thread has gotten no traction. There's nothing better for the gay rights movement than a shrug of "who cares?"

24. Exigius12point5

I want a gold terlit in MY bathroom!