Proposed Plans for Dilworth Plaza

Discussion in 'Center City' started by JaneClaire, Jul 7, 2009.

1. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

2. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

3. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

4. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

And here we are almost 4 years after I posted that, but guess what? It's finally going to happen, with the final piece of funding in place, thanks to the William Penn Foundation.

Art installation to bring colorful, SEPTA-driven mist to Dilworth Park | PhillyVoice.com

In July, the installation will debut with green mist corresponding to SEPTA subway-surface trolley lines. Eventually, there will be orange mist for the Broad Street Line and blue mist for the Market-Frankford Line.

Pulse, Philadelphia, PA - Janet Echelman

#724 Jayfar, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Titus likes this.
  5. phillyaggie

phillyaggie Well-Known Member

6. phillyaggie

Gotta say, after all the negativity about this project, it has panned out very nicely. Much better than most had expected.

The LOVE Park remake, on the other hand...

7. ShoshTrvls

ShoshTrvls Well-Known Member

You know, I was at Love Park this weekend, and I decided I like it. I think it works for the space, and will be even better once the flying saucer is open.

8. londoner

londoner Well-Known Member

Is the fountain up and running yet? I have to agree, it's not as bad as the knee-jerk idiots who shit on it months before completion want you to believe it is. I think once things like the planters, grass, and trees mature, it's going to be pretty sleek and multi-purpose.

9. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

As one of the knee-jerk idiots, I have to say it's not as bad as I initially thought. But just think of how sad it would have been without the flying saucer - it really will save the day.

Jayfar likes this.
  10. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Yes!!!

11. phillyaggie

I stopped by there today for lunch at noon hour; there was live music at the 15th/JFK corner, there were 3 food trucks slotted back to back along the Arch St border; the fountains were on; lots of people were sitting or hanging out along the L shape of the park along 15th and JFK, not as much on the other half... probably because there is not much in way of seating/benches/steps.

The UFO might save it, yes.

But the central fountain area is a definite downgrade from what was there, unfortunately. The fountain is weaker than the original bad-ass jet. And the design around it is so flat and gray that most people, even though the instinctively want to be closer to the water, can't seem to actually enjoy it or want to be there. May be that's the side effect of designing so that the place doesn't get overwhelmed with the homeless.

The other downgrade is the LOVE pedestal. I know Robert Indiana hate the "Philly LOVE" pedestal but I think it was awesome and made the statue stand out even more. The rectangle pedestal is as flat and charmless as the gray fountain area of this new JFK Plaza.

May be I will come to like it if I give it more time. It does some some nicer features and better use of the space, especially with the food carts on one side and the live music on the other side.

But the corner of 16th/Parkway is way too widely paved and could use some trees or more greenery and some seating or gathering/hanging out space or some sort...

fiveomar and Jayfar like this.
  12. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

So I see that today was the official grand opening and ribbon cutting for the new Love Park.

LOVE Park reopens after renovations | Philly.com

Love it or hate it, one of Philadelphia’s most famed parks celebrated its grand re-opening Wednesday.

Mayor Kenney, City Council President Darrell L. Clarke, and others marked LOVE Park’s return with a ribbon-cutting ceremony that also featured food, music, and more. Renovations to flatten the park — once known as a skateboarding hub — as well as add green space and a new water fountain began in February 2016.

[snip]

13. phillyaggie

So that's why there was live music. I didn't see any politicos or speeches, may be I got there after the main events.

Clarke must be quite unhappy with the final outcome... didn't he play architect/urban designer and his office throw out an idea of jamming something like 20 restaurants and bars in there?! lol