Proposal for Amtrak's North Philadelphia Station.

Discussion in 'North Philadelphia' started by Nytecat, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Nytecat

Nytecat Well-Known Member

Working quietly, N.Y. group moves to develop massive new North Philly enclave

It's an intriguing idea but maybe a decade premature? The state probably can't afford to give a $20 million grant to this project out of the blue. Also, repairing the building west of the Chestnut Hill West line would prevent a future SEPTA from replacing 16th street junction with a flyover that would drastically improve the reliability of trains to CHW and Norristown.

2. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

If the state can afford it this is what racp is for.amy of the surrounding buildings will be worse for the wear. I have my doubts they can pull it off. What flyover are you referring to? Reliability should be improved when Amtrak moves the nec interlocking plant east of north philly

3. Nytecat

No, I'm referring to a suped up variant of the Swampoodle connection. It's a concept struck a chord with me and a few others. But apparently not many since I wasn't able to Google any images or blogs on it. But instead of crossing the southbound Reading side tracks, trains to CHW and Norristown would bow outward at the Amtrak overpass, rise up, and cross over the SEPTA main line near or possibly on the current CHW bridge. The real estate occupied by that burned out building is needed to accommodate this project.

Grade separation is the best way to avoid conflicts and delays. That was one of the advantages the Cynwyd route had for trains headed up the Schuylkill. Since Cynwyd is no longer an option for eventual service to Reading, we need to find ways to make the existing route as reliable as possible.

4. DocAwesome

DocAwesome The Doctor is In

I make the trip to NYP for work often, sometimes when I come home I get off Amtrak at North Philadelphia, and walk to the Broad Street line stop to get down to sphl. I'll be honest, it's gotten me to look to see if I could move up near there. Maybe if I was single I'd look at it more seriously, the area just isn't ready yet.

5. eldondre

Swampoodle connection doesn't solve the right problem. Septa has its own issues on the reading main and the reliability problem is mostly because infrastructure has been significantly downgraded since the prr days. I would rather see the building rehabbed as I don't believe swampoodle is necessary. Rather, separate Amtrak from septa east of north philadelphia, separate grade if you will, where the project will benefit both septa and Amtrak. I think in Amtrak proposed nec plan, a new bridge will be built over the schuylkill taking high sleed trains off the current alignment.

Doc-i feel the same way. I might be a little more confident if this project moves forward

6. Nytecat

While some commuters park at North Philly to take eastbound Keystone trains to New York, most of the lot is leased by Temple for use by their medical campus people. One thing I don't know is do they walk to the hospitals or does a shuttle bus come and get them? If they're willing to walk, then maybe that stretch isn't as dangerous as most outsiders think.

7. eldondre

the majority of Amtrak riders, the last I checked, came off the hill west line as transfers which saves a lot of time over going to 30th st.

8. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

I wouldn't underestimate what the transplant injection could do to neighborhoods like this. What took 10 years to get moving in 2004 takes a lot less now, and those being out-priced of New York and DC doesn't seem to be slowing down. I hate the term "The Sixth Borough," but this is exactly the kind of development I think of when I hear that: New York developer familiar with trends, an underused neighborhood, transit. Being on the Broad Street line, and with North Broad improving, it seemed inevitable something would be done near Lehigh. In fact, isn't the Beury Building about to be rehabbed?

Honestly, 10 years ago no one could have imagined the Divine Lorraine being renovated, especially as luxury apartments. As fast as Philly is changing, nothing really surprises me anymore. I don't think it's really a matter of whether this will happen or when, more what it will look like. The renderings offer up some urban eye candy, and I think we'll be lucky enough to avoid a strip-mall. But I don't expect this to be the next Piazza, except that it will probably be surrounded by unkempt surface parking lots.

fiveomar likes this.