Property Tax Adjustment

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Real Estate' started by Clarkie, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Clarkie

Clarkie Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,
    My latest rowhome was listed as 1400 square feet (which, after stepping inside, was obviously seriously off). I worked through the city to officially establish that it is 850 sq. feet, which, believe it or not, was actually surprisingly easy and prompt considering I was working with Philadelphia city government.

However, I've now hit a dead-end in figuring out who to go to or what to do to ensure this large square footage reduction is reflected in my property taxes. I am still being taxed at the same rate I was when the square footage was listed as 1400 sq. ft. I'm sure some of you on this board know the proper steps to take and I'd greatly appreciate some insight. Thanks much!

- C

2. hkp

hkp Señor Member

Hire a lawyer. That's what I ended up doing.

3. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

Suggest you get a reappraisal first, as that has worked very well for me in the past. I am guessing there are multiple city computer systems at play in your situation, and they probably don't transfer data between each other very well (if at all). A reappraisal will reset the one that is calculating your tax rate.

If you don't get anywhere with that, only then maybe a lawyer.

4. Bixbyte

Bixbyte Well-Known Member

The Guys working for RE Tax in Philly are liars they should do this simple BS over the phone.
    I appealed and underpaid. Lost Appeal and they charged me interest on the $100 bill overdue.
    Then I intentionally overpaid my overdue bill a couple bucks.
    Just to make sure they do not turn into assholes and charge more %
    I needed to phone them for a real correction online.
    He managed to bury the entire history online while we spoke.
    There are live workers inside Shitty Hall that know what to do they just do not want to talk to you.

5. Tartan69

Bix I speculate that it is *not* simple BS that can be done over the phone. The assessments and rates are not set by the grunt-level people answering the phone. Hence they should not have the ability to change them on a whim. The city is not set up like Comcast's retention department call center where they have latitude to change your rate...they have a municipal process to follow. And the workers that know what to do are far too busy to talk to the average person on the street.

6. ShoshTrvls

ShoshTrvls Well-Known Member

You need to file an appeal of your assessment. Unfortunately, the last day to file appeals for 2017 was October 3. You can still file an appeal, but it won't be reflected on your taxes until 2018. Paperwork and other info is here:

City of Philadelphia: Appeals

7. Tartan69

Yes Shosh is right. I figured that Clarkie had done that already, but perhaps shouldn't have assumed. I used this process when I appealed and sent them the appraisal that I mentioned above as evidence to set the correct assessment.