Presentations about How Properties proposal for Japanese Rest. Site on Ridge Ave (8/17 efcc mtg)

Discussion in 'Manayunk / Roxborough / East Falls' started by Toddb, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Toddb

Toddb Active Member

Hi everyone,

Here is some background info from last nights zoning mtg about the How properties development proposal for Ridge Ave (The Japanese Rest Site).

Attached (I think) is the EFDC presentation. It is more about the big picture, the parking lot into through-street proposal, and the details on how that might work - including their conditions for being part of the parking lot proposal moving fwd.

Here is a link to the How presentation: 4442 RIDGE AVE_CDR PRESENTATION_2016.08.17_FOR PRESENTATION.pdf

The How properties .pdf (via the link) is focused on the development specifically although one of the site plans includes the parking lot.

We heard that the development itself is by right (no zoning variance needed) but How properties wants the parking lot to happen, and that would require a zoning variance as it is zoned for park land currently (though it is physically a land locked parking lot).

One other clarification we learned last night: The applicant for the zoning variance for the parking lot would likely be EFDC who would then lease the parking lot for one year segments until the resources are available and stage is set for the through street to become reality (which again assumes that their conditions for taking the project on have been met).

Happy to discuss.

Thanks!

TB

Attached Files:

fiveomar likes this.
  2. Timshel

Timshel Well-Known Member

I see the plan for the parking lot and how it connects to Ridge directly and Kelly circuitously. Is there a different plan for the through street or is that it?

3. Toddb

Toddb Active Member

I think it is not yet a "plan", more like a scheme. There is one drawing of it in Gina's presentation which illustrates that the street with parking, sidewalks etc. would still be substantially narrower than the parking lot, which would leave additional parking spaces for people, such as the apartment dwellers or people using the hopefully then existing boat launch etc. There was some discussion at the zoning mtg about the need for it to be a "multi modal street" with bike lanes, pleasant for pedestrians etc. Others thought it should incorporate public space to make it even more plush for pedestrians, but in response Gina stated that folks really want to be hanging out by the river, and the street should be as great as possible but serve the higher purpose of helping people get to (or park in order to get to) the river. Regardless of where folks sit on that issue, the idea is that the street will need a lot of work, and there will be opportunities to get into that as it moves into a design phase etc. (not needed now).

4. billy ross

billy ross Well-Known Member

The city's term is a 'complete street'. That is one which well for all modes - drivers, walkers, cyclists. The city just did a complete street - it's a brand new street. It's Delaware Avenue at the very foot of Bridesburg. It is an oddly pleasant street, and like this it is designed to open up previously inaccessible riverfront for citizens to enjoy. Once anyone sees that new street I can't see how they'd be opposed to this change, which if anything would be lower speed and for more localized traffic as opposed to commercial traffic.

Remember that the park drives were built to help people access the park. Sadly we've gotten very far away from that, but we're getting back into the somewhat revolutionary idea that the roads in the park are there to facilitate people using and enjoying the park. This proposed road is a part of that back to the future philosophy.

#4 billy ross, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  5. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

Drove by the other day, and noticed the new facade facing Kelly Drive/Schuylkill River Trail was almost done.

I have to say, it's incredibly ugly, cheap-looking, and offensive. For such a good location you'd think they could do a little better. Now everyone's going to have to look at this eyesore for decades to come.

vampyre927 likes this.
  6. vampyre927

vampyre927 Well-Known Member

It beats having an empty building and an empty lot there; we got rid of the "high-rises" and the "TRASH" that lived there(YES my 10% black ass lived there on yrs in the 60's 70's,,then moved to New Homes). Now, you need to get rid of the "mini-project" that is there now and clear out the 4th generation "white trash" that still lives in Lower East Falls!! Get the "people with jobs and $$$" and improve the city schools so their children can have good schools to attend. HEAR DAT MAYOR BARSTOOL-USELESS CURTIS!!
    PS...I forgot-Clean up Ridge Ave-get rid of the DRUGS and junkies,including Ridge in Roxborough. Burn down PecK Millers,and tell the 5th district to do their F***ing job!!