Pizzeria Nonna on Germantown Ave

Discussion in 'Mt. Airy / Chestnut Hill / Germantown' started by Malloy, May 23, 2016.

1. Malloy

Malloy Administrator
    Staff Member

Pizzeria Nonna: NEPA-style pizza, in Germantown

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pizzeria-nonna-philadelphia

The owners of Falls Taproom and Cresheim Valley Grain Exchange recently opened this joint.

The wife and I visited Friday night but it was packed with a 1hr+ wait. We ended up going to Vetri and got a seat immediately. I stopped in tonight but it was closed (though, Google and articles claim they are open Monday)

The menu looks great and based on the crown Monday night plus some Facebook reviews from credible people this place looks like a winner. My neighbor is from NEPA so she looks FW to getting a 'tray'

Has anyone eaten here yet?

2. billy ross

billy ross Well-Known Member

Yup. They're overwhelmed with demand - go early. BYOB. The leftover pizza was great cold the next day, which is a great sign. They need to have recycling. The kitchen seems confused - they seem to be still working on their systems. We were there Friday night. The other stuff isn't as backed up as the pizza. We ordered cannolis and they came out quick. Ditto the antipasto. I was shocked at how nice the place is. They need to do a better job of lighting the exterior so you can tell they're open.

I think it'll take some time for things to settle down before we know how good they are. It's certainly a step above. But it doesn't seem to be at the level of Di'Meo's, which is a different style anyway. Overall we liked what we got, save for the calzone, and I've never liked calzones. My wife ordered one because she was inexplicably unfamiliar with them. The kids fought over the cannolis , the first one and the second order of two. The little I got to taste seemed good. My wife thinks the space needs more seating and isn't comfortable enough, whatever that means.

3. Timshel

Timshel Well-Known Member

People still liking this place?
    I've only had the square pizza. It's pretty good! Especially the crispy crust.

4. ks2pa

ks2pa Well-Known Member

I have actually really liked their sandwiches. Especially the roast the pork. Only thing I don't like is that if you call and they are busy they just wont pick up the phone. It is weird that they have no online ordering problems. I'm sure they will work it out eventually.

5. stock

stock Well-Known Member

I just picked up a round meat lovers, it was on point. Easily best pizza in the area now, good addition. I'll swing by here for now, but when Walnut lane bridge open's back up, it will be a toss up with Zesto's. I'll have to do extensive research! Only issue I have with Nonna, is the phone answering issue and that it takes 45 min to an hour every time I call, and this is pick up. They must be supper busy, good for them!

6. 3rd&Brown

3rd&Brown Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity. I have a friend who has started buying up mixed use commercial properties along Germantown Avenue. One (building) in particular is already in good shape and doesn't require a lot of work so he is already marketing it. It is also on a prominent corner (east of Chelten) near the square (not far from Pizzeria Nonna or GFS). My question is...what would people like to see there? He's acquired a commercial broker to show the space and I gave him my list of dream tenants (as I now also own a house in the neighborhood) but I'm curious about what other people think. Would also be curious if people have friends/connections that are business owners who would be open to taking a shot at Germantown (no pun intended). Seems like Nonna is a good fit from both a use standpoint and an aesthetic standpoint. I sort of see Germantown as it starts to revive as having an aesthetic that is historically sensitive but not as stuffy as Chestnut Hill. You know. More youthful and relevant. He's targeting food and beverage uses...ideally something local but in the fast/casual price point (not a chain and not fancy) so that it has appeal to all swathes of the neighborhood.

I told him my dream tenant was Rival Bros (just for a point of comparison). Perfect complement to the corner space he's renting with a view onto the square...would put life on the corner and eyes and ears on the street. What would others want/like to see?

7. stock

stock Well-Known Member

Chinese food that is good and clean. The current chines joints are disgusting and the only other place is in CinCin in Chestnut Hill, $$.

8. harvey

harvey Well-Known Member

Its possibly the best pizza in the city, surely of germantown. We havent had a thing from Nonnas that wasn't very good.

9. harvey

harvey Well-Known Member

Theres definitely a void for chinese/japanese food with jin burned down.

What we really need are decent bars. Theres not a single one in our neighborhood that i would consider visiting .

10. Kukla65th

Kukla65th Well-Known Member

The pizza is still good here; I wonder how business is, overall? Seems like lots of take-out (as with most pizza places) and I'm surprised I don't see more eat-in traffic. I might be missing those times, though, if they exist.

11. Kukla65th

Kukla65th Well-Known Member

When did Jin burn down? I liked that place.

Germantown needs bars that people don't think are nuisances - I'm assuming that was implicit in the post. Certain has had its share of bars that people want to see close. Like the Sugar Stick at the Avenue and Manheim...very welcoming-looking place. I doubly marvel when places like that and others are located in buildings that predate the Articles of Confederation by a few decades. The juxtaposition of nuisance bars and historical properties worth restoring bugs me.