PHL Airport discussion (flights, routes, construction, etc.)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Transportation & SEPTA' started by BenDee, Jan 7, 2016.

1. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

2. eldondre

3. eldondre

4. dontforget

dontforget Well-Known Member

On Nov. 4, Southwest will be resuming nonstop flights between Houston Hobby (HOU) and PHL, but only flown on Sunday. Sunday is the day people travel home, but it's still rather peculiar for Southwest, almost Frontier like addition to do a weekly on this route rather than daily.
    Southwest Airlines Extends Flight Schedule Through Early 2019

#124 dontforget, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
  5. phillyaggie

phillyaggie Well-Known Member

I terribly miss the non-stop flight to HOU... my parents live there still and so I visit from time to time. For the past couple years at least it's been a long day of travel to get there, and same for coming back.

I'll take at least the Sunday option. But you're right, it should be daily... WTF!

6. phillyaggie

phillyaggie Well-Known Member

7. dontforget

I didn't see this posted here, although this is two weeks old:
    Nonstop Delta service from Boston to Philadelphia coming Oct. 1

While this addition is good, there is a deletion as well. Delta will be discontinuing the JFK connection service on 9/30. I guess that will mean some will just have to drive up to JFK for certain international markets.

8. eldondre

9. New2Fishtown

New2Fishtown Well-Known Member

Question for international travel pros: Qatar Airways looks like a fantastic airline and the Doha airport looks spectacular, which makes the idea of routing a long-distance trip through them appealing. Is Doha a logical/advantageous place to layover en route to points farther east? Is it competitive in terms of length of itinerary, or would a Philadelphian seeking to go to India, Thailand, Japan, etc always be better served booking something direct through New York and/or flying west rather than east? I imagine it depends on the destination, but curious if anyone's used the PHL to DOH flight for a trip that did not involve the Middle East as an end point, and if so, what your thoughts are on the experience.

10. ShoshTrvls

ShoshTrvls Well-Known Member

despite my serious reservations about supporting the Qatari government (QA is 100% government owned), I looked into it to fly to Malaysia, and ended up using Delta/Korean Air through Atlanta based on cost, timing, and convenience.

11. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

You seem to fly in and out of Philadelphia as well. I really loathe having to go to NY to do some traveling.

12. ShoshTrvls

ShoshTrvls Well-Known Member

Yes. Sometimes I'll do Newark, although at the end of a lengthy trip, even that train ride seems like more trouble than it is worth, but both LaGuardia and JFK are a PITA to get to/from at any time of day or night, and particularly now with LaGuardia under construction, even with layovers, I'm content to fly to an international hub airport such as ATL, ORD or DFW to head overseas.

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  13. dontforget

Some seasonal international market changes from American Airlines for 2019:
    http://s21.q4cdn.com/616071541/file...nt-and-Modifies-Asia-Service-GUIDE-082118.pdf

Berlin, Germany (TXL) gets seasonal summer service next year. It's already daily from Newark (EWR). Notably, though Munich gets cut from PHL or is technically transferred to Charlotte. Frankfurt is already covered by Lufthansa.

I'm sure most headed regularly to Germany fly United and/or Lufthansa, partner Star Alliance carriers, already and American is just picking some of the summer tourist market but less of the business market.

#133 dontforget, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  14. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

My niece and her family recently flew to and from Perth, Australia on Qatar Airlines stopping in Doha - they found it to be an exceptionally convenient and comfortable way to travel.

15. Nytecat

Nytecat Well-Known Member

I’ve noticed that in recent annual enplanement lists, PHL has fallen a few spots. Does anybody know what this is due to? Maybe the phase out of US Air is the cause?

16. dontforget

When I look at May 2017 to May 2018, it shows 1.81% change. American did cut down the number of banks in PHL after US Air.
    American will trim some flights as part of 'rebanking' its PHL hub

Routes have been added and other have been deleted, with Tel Aviv most notable of being deleted. But American has been able to add markets like Grand Rapids, Madison and Mexico City kind of bringing it's network strength in, where US Airways was weaker out in those areas of North America, or it relied on partner carriers. American has trimmed JFK more while committing to PHL as it's Trans-Atlantic gateway. Perhaps it's rank has slipped as other airports have gained more over this time.

In general, it's kind of hard to tell by American, since it controls so much but often with high fares and monopoly routes, it can suppress demand, so I look at the competing airlines.

The best competition PHL had was when Southwest in PHL was over 60 daily departures. Those days are long gone, but it does seem like carriers like Spirit, JetBlue, and Alaska have added a few flights into PHL lately. I can't tell with Frontier as it adds then drops less than daily seasonal routes too often, but it adds to something.

Notably, this November, Spirit and Frontier will have 3 flights between PHL and MCO (Orlando), and Southwest will have 4. That's 10 flights that are available as an alternative from going with the largest carrier, that is American's flights out of PHL. Orlando is PHL's top destination. I think this is more seats than what Southwest and AirTran offered against US Airways, say ten years ago, but I'm not sure.

#136 dontforget, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  17. ODragon

ODragon Well-Known Member

FWIW, I took Alaska to Portland, Oregon from PHL recently. It was a really nice flight with no layover. A little early departure time but then again, it did get me there around 9:45 am so I did have a full day there. I would take Alaska again and was happy to have another carrier there that I am willing to take.

18. eldondre

the number of passengers is definitely down. American has been really awful from my perspective. old planes, disgruntled employees, fewer non-stop options for routes I fly. we've started flying out of other airports but anecdotally I've noticed our family is flying out of Newark a lot more often both internationally and domestically (usually jet blue). we split time between Newark, phl, and bwi. not a rush for the exits but it explains the marginal loss in passengers. PHL is also pretty slow to upgrade and has been slow to boost their ancillary business as compared with other airports but like SEPTA, they're getting there.
    https://www.phl.org/Documents/AboutPHL/PHL_facts.pdf

19. eldondre

fiveomar likes this.