Philly DA Office is a Hot Mess

Discussion in 'Local and State' started by Jayfar, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

You can think how you want, and I will think as I wish--which seems to be borne out in practice.

McGillians0622 likes this.
  2. Politburo

Politburo Well-Known Member

Be my guest if you wish to appear hypocritical.

3. ShoshTrvls

ShoshTrvls Well-Known Member

Amazing ... now you're running your own little Infowars/Russian troll conspiracy factory here in Philly?

The police reaction was overreach and it is highly likely that prior DAs would have charged and prosecuted them for, at the very least, criminal trespass or resisting arrest (a favorite when there is no real crime to charge) -- despite the fact that there was no resistance. Given that the charges were dropped by Krasner's office, I would however agree with you that there was no prosecutorial overreach -- the entire point here.

4. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

Disagree on both points. The police were called by the manager of a store stating that two men were trespassing. It is not their job to determine whether or not the manager was applying store policy inconsistently. The men did not resist arrest, but they resisted leaving when asked to leave by the police. Failure to follow commands of law enforcement is going to get you in cuffs.

Agree on all these points. This is where Krasner's approach is good, although I see it as more of the proverbial broken clock.

It does certainly say a lot about how dysfunctional and unethical the DAs office is/has been. Krasner is somewhat of the Left's version of Trump -- a reactionary status quo breaking measure to systemic institutional problems.

fiveomar likes this.
  5. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

6. Tartan69

Hospitalitygirl, fiveomar and Titus like this.
  7. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

“There’s no doubt that this is unusual step, but [the plea deal] was not reflective of our policy and how things should be done,” said DA spokesperson Ben Waxman.

Philly DA moves to reverse controversial plea deal for gunman in AK-47 shooting

What a load of BS. This is exactly Krasner's policy, ADA Edelman is getting shoved under the bus, and this motion to vacate is a CYA move in response to the outrage that followed the original plea deal.

I'd be interested for an attorney to weigh in on what the chances are that the judge reverses the deal - doesn't exactly seem fair even though the the guy deserves a lot more jail time.

Hospitalitygirl and fiveomar like this.
  8. Hospitalitygirl

That deal will never be reversed. It's all bullshit. Krasner and company were caught with their pants down on this one. It was an egregious enough deal that other community groups are in an outrage, rightfully so, but all victims deserve to be treated appropriately. It is so refreshing that he threw that ADA under the bus, because you know, Waxman never said that it was an appropriate sentence given that the victim fought back...as if! You know full well that she was acting as the office wanted her to act. It's disgraceful, and as I mentioned so many times last year during the campaign, Krasner made defendants into victims and ignore, and continues to ignore real victims of crime. Thank you "progressives" who think they did something wonderful.

Oh, by any chance, has anyone noticed the homicide tally to date? Or the fact that crime is actually up about 7.5%?

9. Tartan69

Apparently they want more people like Trump, because this is how you get more people like Trump.

Hospitalitygirl, fiveomar and Titus like this.
  10. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

Open or ranked-choice primaries are the only solution to bring forward more moderate/centrist candidates versus all the extremists we've had on both sides in recent years due to independents (ie. non-tribal, level-headed thinkers) being shut out of the voting process.

Scoats and Tartan69 like this.
  11. ShoshTrvls

Looking at the weekly reports, for the week ending Dec. 9, violent crime is down 6% and property offenses up only 1%. (Although I do note that the homicide number on the weekly reports is significantly lower than the number they have on the website, and I certainly don't think there have been 30 homicides in the last 24 hours -- can anyone explain why this is?).

12. Templeton

Templeton Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be so sure on that. The reason we got Trump is because republican voters like someone with a Trump personality. As I recall there were 16 other republicans they could have chosen from. Republicans just really like the Trump/Palin personality type. Nothing democrats do will change that.

13. Politburo

Primaries are the method for selecting a party's candidate. I think it makes sense that voting should be limited to party registrants. Do you think presenting yourself as a superior intellect is a persuasive argument for parties to give you a voice in their process?

I think IRV is the solution to the 'wasted vote' concept. Let parties nominate whoever they want, make it relatively easy to get on the ballot (without making it like that California recall election), and then one can rank the candidates as they see fit.

14. Hospitalitygirl

You won't get a true reading of crimes if there are multiple declinations and downgrading. It's happening and it's really horrible.

15. Tartan69

Could not disagree more. Many Trump supporters don't like him as a person. The groundswell behind him as POTUS is a reaction to being forgotten in politics (by both D's and R's) and the clear double-standards at play for the connecteds vs non-connecteds. Trump fights against the establishment...the others (save for perhaps Paul and Cruz) do not.

O.H. Lee and Hospitalitygirl like this.
  16. Hospitalitygirl

Correct. He is the symptom, not the cause.

17. Politburo

What "groundswell" is being referred to? He got fewer votes and remains unpopular.

Trump is definitely a symptom, but the cause isn't liberals.

Templeton and ShoshTrvls like this.
  18. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

Getting back to the real issue...

"Former prosecutors have said that under Krasner’s predecessors, prosecutors would have asked for a double-digit sentence at the minimum for a shooting with an AK-47 that critically injured someone. Poeng cannot walk without assistance as a result of his injuries."

Source: Judge won’t vacate AK-47 gunman’s plea deal, but will give victim a hearing date

The DA's charade of asking the judge to vacate the deal. knowing full well that it would never happen, is just an additional insult to the victim and his family.

What the hell does Trump have to do with this!!??

fiveomar and Hospitalitygirl like this.
  19. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

This opinion piece highlights your point about ignoring the victims:

Why is Krasner so callous with victims? - Philadelphia Inquirer - Philly Edition, 12/16/2018

Tartan69 and fiveomar like this.
  20. O.H. Lee

O.H. Lee Well-Known Member

Where are you seeing these numbers ? Homicides are up about 30 more than last year this time. Shooting victims are up also.

Tartan69 and Hospitalitygirl like this.
  21. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

Think again
    Philadelphia records most homicides in more than a decade

22. Tartan69

His popularity/unpopularity is exceptionally bifurcated. The overwhelming majority of people I know from Philly or from college are anti-Trump, whereas the overwhelming majority of those that I grew up with in Pennsyltucky are pro-Trump. The voices on the anti side are louder, but the voices on the pro side are more numerous. This has a strong "city versus country" vibe to it, but it also has a very very strong "white collar versus blue collar" vibe. I tend to split the middle even though a lot of folks on this board don't believe me on that. My conservative upbringing and sensibilities about what I feel is right or wrong often overrule what might be my own best interests in the fact that I'm a business executive for a global company and live in an urban environment. Because often what is best for me might not be what I think is best for society in the long run.

Also agree the cause isn't liberals per se. The cause is globalists, Wall Street, and the "ruling class". They just tend to align with a progressive mentality. And a huge number of people on the Left have lost their ever loving minds with Trump Derangement Syndrome and thus are pushing more of us in the center and center-right to move farther right just to get away from them.

Hospitalitygirl and Titus like this.
  23. ShoshTrvls

thanks for that bit of antisemitism. Not that I ever doubted where you stood on that.

24. ShoshTrvls

I made it very clear where I saw my numbers, the weekly reports put out by your employer. I also noted that they didn't match the summary and news reports. For example, the weekly report for 12/16 (which can be found here: Crime Maps & Stats | Philadelphia Police Department ), shows that as of that date there were 318 homicides, but the more current number is 339 as of yesterday. I do not believe there were 21 homicides in the last 4 days, so where's the disconnect?

25. Tartan69

How the ever-loving hell do you get anti-semitism out of that?!? Good grief. You are either drunk or seriously deranged. Please think before you type.

26. Hospitalitygirl

You weren't serious with that reply, right?

27. ShoshTrvls

28. Tartan69

That article has literally zero factual argument to back up any presumption that the globalist term is anti-semetic. The only references are:
    • in 1943 a New York Times art critic made critical reference to globalist themes, and the artist just happened to be Jewish
    • the Anti-Defamation League’s Jonathan Greenblatt claimed in a tweet that the term is anti-semetic
    That's it. No other references to a connection, let alone facts. Counselor, your argument is exceptionally unconvincing.

Seems to me that this is just another example of Leftist projection of their skewed values and assumptions on others, and an attempt to redefine words and phrases to something that they aren't in order to suit their political agenda.

It would speak better for your character if you were actually drunk or deranged...

#268 Tartan69, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Hospitalitygirl and fiveomar like this.
  29. Templeton

Templeton Well-Known Member

I would argue that the ones with Trump Derangement Syndrome are those who continue to see what a horribly unqualified president he is, and insist on calling those who speak out against him “deranged”. I guess Mitt Romney and all those generals are deranged too.

Further, if seeing people react reasonably to an unqualified buffoon in the White House makes you move further to the right (those who put him there) sort of puts the spotlight on you.

fiveomar likes this.
  30. Tartan69

Ok then, argue this point. Back it up with details please.