Pennsylvania to become "Constitutional Carry"?

Discussion in 'Local and State' started by Jeerleader, May 15, 2019.

1. Jeerleader

Jeerleader Left of the Right and Right of the Left

A bill as been introduced in the PA House (HB-1412) to drop the requirement of obtaining a License to Carry a Firearm (LTC) before one carries a firearm in this state, on their person, open or concealed, in public, for the purpose of self-defense.

The bill's author, Aaron Bernstine, (District 10, parts of Lawrence, Beaver and Butler Counties) states the bill is the legislative recognition of the right to arms recognized and secured by Article I, ยง21 of the PA constitution:

"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."​

Pennsylvania would join Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho (residents only), Kansas, Kentucky (effective June 26, 2019), Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Dakota (residents only; concealed carry only), Oklahoma (effective Nov. 1, 2019), South Dakota (effective July 1, 2019), Vermont, West Virginia and Wyoming (residents only). These states do not require a permit to carry a loaded concealed firearm for any person of age who is not prohibited from owning a firearm. Permitless carry in Idaho, North Dakota and Wyoming is applicable to residents only; non-residents must have a permit to carry a concealed handgun in these states. All aforementioned jurisdictions do not require a permit to openly carry either except for North Dakota and certain localities in Missouri. (1)

This new law would not alter the current status of permitless open carry in PA except within the cities of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, which now require a PA LTC to open carry.

The progression towards liberalized regulation regarding the public carriage of firearms is undeniable. Understand these are actions of state legislatures, taken under the authority of their state constitution and respective of the right to arms their state constitutions secure for that state's citizens. These actions have virtually nothing to do with the federal 2nd Amendment (despite what media accounts say).

This animated gif shows the steady march better than any written account ever could ("unrestricted = "Constitutional Carry):

[​IMG]

This new law would still provide for residents to obtain a Pennsylvania License to Carry so a person could enjoy carry reciprocity with other states. Currently, a PA resident with a PA LTC can carry in many states:

[​IMG]

Personally, I would like to see a federal reciprocity law forcing all states and territories to respect the licenses of other states. Or SCOTUS could enforce a federal right to bear arms on all states and thus enforce equal protection and equal rights across the nation. Either way it just doesn't seem right that I am a fine, upstanding citizen in Bucks County PA, but a dangerous criminal subject to dozens of years in jail if I cross the Delaware River with my firearm . . .

(1) Constitutional carry - Wikipedia

#1 Jeerleader, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019