Parkway Events Every Weekend

Discussion in 'Fairmount / Spring Garden / Francisville' started by Jim19130, Apr 11, 2017.

1. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Just look at MIA photos and you can see how special the Parkway is for these events.

[​IMG]

This is going to be the biggest Draft the NFL ever did, so they are putting a lot of money to get something that looks special.

Not tailgate special.

[​IMG]

eldondre likes this.
  2. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

No one is complaining about the NFL Draft itself, it's the amount of prep time causing inaccessible public spaces, which is literally 10x the actual duration of the event.

#32 fiveomar, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    vampyre927, ShoshTrvls and Jayfar like this.
  3. OldMama

OldMama Finally retired. Newly married. Kids are gone.

Of course the Parkway is more photogenic although I still maintain that monstrosity in from of the Art Museum ( IMO, the most beautiful aspect of the Parkway) is awful. I just think it is grossly unfair that the neighborhood is affected for so long.

I wonder, admittedly as a non-football fan, how important aesthetics are to fans of events like draft and MIA. I'm old and short. I rather have a seat.

vampyre927 likes this.
  4. Redder64

Redder64 Member

Thanks mixiboi for all the great info! I have lived in the Fairmount neighborhood for almost 10 years and fully support all the events on the Parkway.

vampyre927 and eldondre like this.
  5. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Yeah, I am wondering as to why it is taking much longer to put this event together. Then again this is the NFL first time doing a event like this so that might be playing a factor into it as they might want to see what it looks like before so they can change anything they don't like.

6. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

7. funk

funk Well-Known Member

Union Carpenters, that's why.
    Look at all of the pick-ups with NJ plates and "Union Proud" stickers lining Sedgley Drive.

vampyre927, DocAwesome and fiveomar like this.
  8. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

9. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

IATSE guys too. Two I know via fb who are working that job are South Philly.

vampyre927 likes this.
  10. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

Everything you need to know about the NFL Draft Experience | Office of the Mayor | News

• Fan Mobile Pass (FMP): The free Fan Mobile Pass will give you access to all the action at the NFL Draft Experience. The Fan Mobile Pass (FMP) is a QR code that will enhance fan experiences at the 2017 NFL Draft. FMP is not required to enter the NFL Draft Experience but it is required to participate in all interactive games, enter to win prizes and receive photos and other content. Learn more about the Fan Mobile Pass (FMP).

NFL Fan Mobile Pass registration

#40 Jayfar, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  11. boognish

boognish Well-Known Member

Agree. That's a nice place. But we live so close to the the Philly Zoo (about 10 minutes) that it's a solid investment for us. I take my three year old almost weekly, BUT I completely spaced on the fact that the Parkway was all buggered up and that every family in the surrounding 4 states would want to see the zoo. Holy cow, it was nuts. I sat on the Girard Bridge for 30 minutes.

But obviously, I digress.

vampyre927 likes this.
  12. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

That is awesome...wish i could do that for my 3 year old...

13. londoner

londoner Well-Known Member

While you're right - I think once Love Park is finished - there's certainly an argument to be made to shift at least some of these events Eastward between Dilworth and Logan and give the folks in Fairmount a break.

vampyre927 likes this.
  14. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

That is a good idea. City Hall would make a great backdrop to many things.

They tried this with the Mummers, but you know people got upset about that...

vampyre927 likes this.
  15. ODragon

ODragon Well-Known Member

FDR park has a decent number of places that look nice at least on paper. Not everything needs to be a cityscape.
    FDR Example

Or inside a stadium when it's not being used?

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  16. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

One run/walk uses Citizen Bank Park every year

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  17. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

they should fix the trolleys right of way such that it is not impacted by traffic. not a perfect solution
    Dont fdr park and area residents put up with enough?

18. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

I was just listening to WHYY's Newsworks discussing how neighbors are adversely effected by the numerous events - the city's suggestion? - Better communication so everybody knows they will be adversely effected. Pathetic.

19. ODragon

Maybe? But they had a better idea what traffic would be on any given day than say someone who bought near the art museum?

20. eldondre

I'm not sure it's any more "fair" to ask them to be burdened with more events simply so someone else didn't have to be. the reality is the city spent a lot of money to build the parkway to create this iconic space. of course, they also developed plans for a subway line to run underneath it but still. at any rate, the parkway is iconic Philadelphia. the stadium district is crap. it's also a problem for the development of the navy yard as you really can't get down there after an event (and they have a lot of events all year round)

21. londoner

I agree with this.

This is a big, high profile event that the NFL didn't have to host here. There are dozens of cities now actively bidding for next year's draft who will be more than willing to offer up their most dramatic/exciting/scenic locations to persuade the NFL. Throwing hundreds of thousands of visitors into stadium-ville for an event like this is just downright stupid - and would never happen.

Fairmount folks can make the argument like the OP did that when they bought their house they didn't expect THIS many events to be held on the Parkway. I get that. But that's kind of where their argument stops. If you buy a house next to the region's cultural heart - presumably to enjoy all the amenities and benefits of the cultural heart - a place where all the city's grande engagement take place - it's tough to complain about being burdened with someone else using it.

Plus, it may just be a once in a lifetime overload: Pope and NFL Draft in back to back years? May be another 100 years before that happens again.

In terms of Run/Walks - is there a way to simply move them to West River and along the Schuykill River Trail - especially with the Bartram's Garden extension soon to open - so as to keep Kelly open and folks off the Parkway? Regatta's you're out of luck, I suppose...

eldondre likes this.
  22. ODragon

I wasn't talking about the Draft per say. I meant if there is something at the art museum 75/104 Sat/Sundays a year, maybe 25+ of them could be shifted to other locations. I can understand keeping something like the Draft there as it is being televised and they want what's iconic and pretty for tv sake. Many of the other things that go on down there aren't televised; put them elsewhere.

#52 ODragon, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Hospitalitygirl, fiveomar and Jayfar like this.
  23. Big Irish

Big Irish Well-Known Member

Most of the reasonable people of Fairmount don't have a problem with the NFL Draft being there. They have a problem with (what they see as) the draconian measures as far as street closures. The same thing with the pope's visit. The city originally said we couldn't even have our cars in the neighborhood at all (no parked cars south of Girard I belive it was). People forget that.

The proliferation of events on Kelly Drive has gotten way out of hand. Every weekend there's some kind of charity walk/run and even when the drive isn't closed you have the influx of people who all drive here and don't care where they park (sidewalks, private driveways, private parking lots, medians, turning lanes, etc). And not only is the parking enforcement nonexistant during these events, there's never police directing traffic once the event is over so it's a major cluter f*ck with people going the wrong way, making illegal turns, blocking intersections, etc.

These events either need to be spread out to diff areas of the city or the city needs to handle the crowds, parking & traffic much better than they currently do. I've lived in Fairmount over 50 years. I'm not a NIMBY. But in the last few years things have gotten way out of hand.

fiveomar likes this.
  24. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

That is a good idea too, The Schuykill River Trail will be a nice event staging for runs/walks....

fiveomar likes this.
  25. eldondre

Perhaps they should close east river rather than west river...and per Old Mama, certainly both should not be closed the same weekend. if they can find a way to close Kelly more often, then eliminate closing west river entirely.
    the other option for walk/runs would be to find other locations. when the Delaware river trail is finally built, perhaps that would be a good location. that said, keep in mind the roads are park drives. and the complete lack of dedicated transit right of way makes it worse.

vampyre927 likes this.
  26. Big Irish

Big Irish Well-Known Member

I took these today while walking the dog, where Fairmount Ave meets Penna Ave. This has been this way for at least 2 weeks, we have 1 more week til the event, and then another 2-3 weeks for the dismantle. 6 weeks of this nonsense.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

fiveomar and vampyre927 like this.
  27. londoner

See my note above regarding this. I think closing Kelly is more disruptive for Fairmount Residents, no? Keep these events on West River - then funnel them onto the SRT at Paine's Park - minimal traffic closures for residential areas. Plus, this particular walk has the added bonus of being incredibly beautiful and uniquely urban.

With the Bartram expansion scheduled to be finished shortly, you'll easily be able to build a 5k-10k walk.

fiveomar likes this.
  28. OldMama

OldMama Finally retired. Newly married. Kids are gone.

Just had to send a mass email to my wedding guests that they can't use the Parkway tomorrow. Despite all this discussion, I forgot to do that!

29. eldondre

Kelly has the boathouses and is generally the more desirable of the two for pedestrians and bicyclists which is why west river is empty while the SRT is overcrowded. No doubt West river was closed as a concession. still, if it's just a walk, you're right, they could probably due that.

30. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Once again if you wanted to blame anyone for the current happenings, it was the NFL:

NFL Insists On Having Draft In Front Of Museum, Obscures Museum With Foam Facade

fiveomar likes this.