Paoli Station being built?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Transportation & SEPTA' started by eldondre, Jan 27, 2012.

1. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

SEPTA awards contracts for City Hall improvements | PlanPhilly: Planning Philadelphia's Future
    http://mainlinemedianews.com/articl...urban_life/news/doc4f1e2ea3bb07c220033283.txt

#1 eldondre, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  2. cewillm

cewillm Well-Known Member

I can't say what I really think about Paoli station and private businesses dumping money into it because I work for one of the companies in Great Valley, and speculating on forums could risk my job. But as a driver, I _HATE_ that overpass. It's very very dangerous to drive over and taxing on your car to wait on top of. I don't want to think of trying to tackle that on my motorcycle.

#2 cewillm, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  3. Gladys

Gladys Well-Known Member

yeah that station is just awful. It's not good for walking either! In a car when you leave the lot for a pick up from CC if you turn left it's blind, you can't see over the bridge to see if anything is coming.

So glad that is being redone, i've been using it a lot recently.

4. ArcticSplash

ArcticSplash Dixie Normus

Working in Treddyfrin just plain sucks.

It sucked enough that an employer I worked for a while gave up on it and fled to Delaware County ISO of cheaper rents and well... the expansion of 202 helped urge that decision along.

Plus it sucked to rent in an office building that hadn't been touched since it was put up in 1981 and smelled like moldy carpet on the inside. Just because it's "Main-Line"-ish it commanded Wayne/Radnor rents even though it sucked ass and the commute to get to that place was a bloody nightmare. Too far away from the R5 to walk, building didn't have it's own shuttle to Strafford/Paoli, and the only lunch option was to cruise strip malls or go to KOP provided you worked at an employer that didn't mind if your lunch hour stretches to an hour and a half because you're caught on the wrong side of the freeway due to a pile-up.

During the housing boom the suburban rental rates were the same as Center City rents so just on amenities alone working in CC trumps it by a long shot. After work happy hours are way more enjoyable in CC than in the burbs.

Ooo let's celebrate a job well done at Chili's. No, I don't think so... I'd rather skip the 2,000 calorie fare and Bud Light to get a head start on the commute so I can get home before 9PM.

#4 ArcticSplash, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  5. Bob_Head

Bob_Head Immoderat0r

How will the ownership of the new building work? I know the current station is owned and operated by Amtrak. I assume the new station will be a SEPTA facility?

6. thoth

thoth I LOOK LIKE THIS

Not being familiar with the station, what makes it such a pain to use that they're going to drop 7 millie on it?

7. Bob_Head

Bob_Head Immoderat0r

The access to the lot is awful. On one side it's a steep and narrow turn off Valley road, and the exit from the lot is usually blocked by traffic waiting to turn onto 30. The entrance on 30 is usually blocked by traffic at the light as well. It makes it really tough for the 3 routes (204, 205 and 206) that originate/terminate in the lot. Vanguard, Wyeth and other companies run a lot of shuttles out of the tiny North lot of the station. While the station building isn't awful, the parking is totally inadequate, and the connections to other transit are problematic. For a station as heavily used as Paoli to have those problems, and no handicapped access is unacceptable.

8. Gladys

Gladys Well-Known Member

also leaving the parking lot on the drop off side (from center city) is down right dangerous

9. cewillm

Couldn't agree more. I'm tied to where I am in Great Valley for a few years, but my next career move (once loans are paid off) is definitely going to be at a small, urban software shop. As I'm sure you know, enterprise software development, even in my position as a front-end developer, can have its less-than-exciting moments. But at least we have the Malvern Wegman's.

And back to Paoli Station, yes, the blind turns make me nervous. The inability to see over the bridge scares the ever-living **** out of me. You just know that, one day, there's going to be a poor sap with a mechanical issue on the other side. I need to take a better look at how the bridge supports the catenary, but I am not so sure that it can be leveled out due to train clearance issues. But at least moving the station would end the blind turns and alleviate some congestion.

Another thing is idiots pulling onto Route 30 from the lot, especially in the evening rush hour. When I'm on my motorcycle heading east, I have to pay special attention to the dolts who jump across the westbound lanes without a second thought.

I'll have to look on my commute tomorrow and see how relocating 80 feet west will help things at all. I think moving the station east on Rt. 30 across from the Paoli Diner would be awesome if only there were room for parking somewhere.

#9 cewillm, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  10. Bob_Head

Bob_Head Immoderat0r

I believe the plan is to move the station access up to across from Wawa/Matthews Ford, with the entire station and parking facility located to the west of the Valley Road Bridge.

11. eldondre

moving the station east would be the wrong direction...there's already daylesford. the station's location isn't really the problem per se, it's at an intersection of valley rd (phoenixville, VF)as well as near king st, paoli pike to west chester, darby-paoli rd, and near 252 (chesterbrook) as well as lancaster ave. your instinct is right, the bridge is the way it is because of the catenary...barring sinking the railroad and digging a tunnel there isn't much that can be done to alleviate that...though there is a plan to address it somewhat differently...
    the station will be moved just west of the valley rd bridge. this accomplishes a few things. first, the parking area (and future build site) is level with the station on both sides, second, there is excess right of way and it is after it goes from four tracks to three. the current plan is to build two high level platforms...one on the outbound side on the outside of the right of way, the second will be between the other two tracks on the outbound side. there's a lot more to the plan. there is a lot of land here, probably more than exists at any other undeveloped location on the main line...it's a former rail yard. the idea is to eventually build parking, housing, and offices as well as retail...in other words, a town center that paoli has lacked for some time. on top of that, there are other improvements that should have happened decades ago...notably punching cedar hollow through to lancaster under the tracks further west, which would divert traffic off of central ave and the bridge. this also means that the new station will be accessible on two sides, from cedar hollow (hospital, great valley) as well as the town side and valley rd (which is also the 252 side). my fear is that septa will be in control of this project and they are largely incapable of designing things well as far as I can tell...I hope they don't do anything stupid like building platforms that don't allow for longer trains in the future. this is also the third largest stop by ridership and revenue on the keystone line after lancaster and harrisburg. while septa might be responsible for the station, I highly doubt they will own anything. it's all amtrak property and if it's sold to anybody, it won't be septa, it will be a developer.

while I agree with the sentiment (I'd rather work in cc) it's largely inaccurate. Paoli is in Tredyfferin as well as willistown, great valley is in east whiteland. great valley is actually performing fairly well, certainly moreso than delco, and shows little signs of changing. in fact, a large pharma company is decamping from 202 to great valley since it has access to 202, 29, 30...the train to Philadelphia, harrisburg, and NY, and the new slip ramp to 29 from the turnpike is solidifying its position. it will shave 20 min off my friends commute from the northern suburbs and people will no longer have to exit at KoP to get there.
    while it's certainly not walkable, lunch options have improved over the years to wegman's and jimmys bbq, among others. there's a target there as well, and for beer, there's the boathouse, tj's in paoli, and the flying pig in malvern. still, an area that has grown as rapidly as that has issues with overpriced liquor licenses. anyway, it's not dying, and some infrastucture investment is long overdue.

toth-disturbingly, none of this $7.5 million will even building anything, it's paying a consultant to design it.

#11 eldondre, Jan 30, 2012
  12. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

So true...it's a lame, lame world out that way.

13. eldondre

I worked there for years and never went to chili's...there isn't even a chili's in great valley is there?
    not that it isn't lame but at least the boathouse had good views and beers. in fact, the whole time I lived in paoli I never went to a chili's though we did, on occasion, go to the pizzaria uno (which I think is now the paoli diner?).

#13 eldondre, Jan 30, 2012
  14. cewillm

It's exurbia at its finest. I, for one, would love for my company to, *ahem*, jump ship, and move into a mega-skyscraper downtown. But I don't think 15,000 other people, the overwhelming majority of which enjoy a comfortable white-collar suburban lifestyle, would agree.

15. eldondre

nope, just more money being spent. I really don't get why agencies, septa in particular, do this. they have to build some ugly ass transit taj mahal or building nothing at all. move forward with the high level platforms and forget out the station, ticket windows, etc...build later if you have the money.
    http://mainlinemedianews.com/articl...4f2c44ebdeabb898808287.txt?viewmode=fullstory

16. eldondre

17. eldondre

at long last, for better and for worse, Paoli station is rising. the elevator shafts are up, the center tracks are gone