1. daguerre

daguerre Wyndmersian

Looking for dollarish oysters or close to it in the metro area, in a high-volume place that can bang out dozens pretty quickly. With the closure of MacGrogan's, seems like Ye New Hipster Oyster House on Sansom and Pearl's in RTM are the only two places that Yelp comes up with.
    Can it be that the history of oysters in Philly has so collapsed to almost nothing?

2. boognish

boognish Well-Known Member

What is hipster about Oyster House? Every time I go it's filled with lawyers.

IIRC, Johnny Brenda's has one of the best oyster deals going at happy hour. I think all oysters are 1/2 off.

A.bar, Pub & Kitchen, Olde Bar also have deals but it's hard to find buck a shucks.

Frankly, aside from Oyster House and Snockey's (which smelled like it died 15 years before it did), there has t been a good oyster scene in the city for at least 20 years.

Asuit likes this.
  3. boognish

But let me add that aside from high volume joints like you're looking for, the current ability to get a decent plate of oysters in this city is pretty darn good.

4. daguerre

daguerre Wyndmersian

Good intel, boognish, thank you. I'm grumpy because I liked the old Sansom St, and while MacGrogans could be difficult to navigate, they had good, varied, inexpensive oysters. I don't quite understand why Philly has broken off its historic relationships with oysters and blue crabs. Then again, I've been in the burbs for 7 years, so I don't really have much awareness of what is happening downtown.

5. boognish

I too preferred the old Oyster House as there was something decidedly old school about it. Certainly not as fancy as the current iteration. And I completely agree about MacGrogans (there was one briefly in West Philly). It was a weird place, but if you went on Mondays and only ordered the special beer of the day, it was very, very reasonable.

When I moved here in the 90's, I assumed I'd find oyster and crab houses. I was sorely disappointed. I certainly don't mind cooking my own crabs, but there's something nice about having someone do the work and clean-up for you.

Coincidentally, a friend of mine just sent me pictures from Eventide Oyster Company in Portland, Maine. Now all I want to do is drive straight there.

6. MackeyDingo

MackeyDingo REALLY Well-Known Member

Oyster House is top notch. Not sure why you'd knock it. And even if it was the only place in town, which it isn't, that would hardly signal a collapse into nothing.

Also, I don't think refurbishing typewriters pays well enough to eat oysters, so there are not a lot of Hipster Oyster Houses in the world. Sadly.

As an aside, I generally don't eat oysters anywhere that doesn't have a selection of different types. That's a signal that they aren't very serious about Oysters. Which I'm fairly certain makes me an oyster snob.

7. MackeyDingo

To answer your question, Oyster House has $1 oysters during happy hour.

8. daguerre

daguerre Wyndmersian

The reason I excluded Oyster House is that whenever I go there, I am preoccupied with how much the clean, bright and affluent style of the place makes me sad, because I miss the casual, frumpy, comfortable vibe of ye olde one. I do appreciate that they kept buck-a-shuck, but it's...stiffer. The chairs are uncomfortable. The glare of the lights hurts my skin, and I have an overwhelming urge to flee back to my coffin hidden underneath the Chinatown Spur. I learned that Johnny Brenda's and Pinefish are two places to look at.
    Also, my love of oysters developed in New Orleans, where they eat one single kind of oyster, from warm Gulf waters no less, with a drop of hot sauce, 12 months a year, at 25c each or free at the corner bar with drinks. At least, that was the norm until Katrina, and then the affluent species of hipster took over and now the place is Brooklyn. So my needs are basic, rustic, peasant-like. Which in itself has become a sort of snobbishness.

MackeyDingo likes this.
  9. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

I loved the old Oyster House too, but I must say the new iteration seems to be a great success - so I wish them well. I still do go there occasionally.

10. Asuit

Asuit Well-Known Member

IMG_1564.JPG There used to be a place st 114 Christian St.

Burholme06 likes this.
  11. MackeyDingo

Don't eat here. They don't meet current cleanliness standards and you can get sick.

12. londoner

londoner Well-Known Member

As poster upthread noted - A.Bar does $1.50 HH oysters - if Sansom Street is "Hipster" - this is up your alley, it's a great space on Rittenhouse sq. Same with Pub and Kitchen (I think they do buck a shuck actually till 6p). Tons of places do $2/oyster HH specials - like R2L. Ocean Prime does buck a shuck in the lounge. Also, other large seafood spots like Devon and 19 have a solid variety. Plus, the French spots like Rouge and Parc offer oyster, I think some on HH special.

Your Yelp search must have really sucked. I wrote the above down off the top of my head in 2 minutes, and missed probably 75% of the deals out there.

13. MackeyDingo

I think an oyster eating meet up should be in the works.

14. Bixbyte

Bixbyte Well-Known Member

I can't eat them Raw, I like them fried.

15. MackeyDingo

Raw Bar it is, then...

:p

Titus and londoner like this.
  16. Bixbyte

Bixbyte Well-Known Member

We can meet in Texas, the oysters are always bigger and better in TX :p

17. Sean

Sean Well-Known Member

The brand new Pistola's Del Sur on East Passyunk has buck a shuck oysters. Tried them out last week, the oysters (and all the rest of the food) was very good.

18. daguerre

daguerre Wyndmersian

Thanks for these, Londoner. Do you know any oystering spots outside of Center City? Out my way, there's Paris Bistro in Chestnut Hill, but they are pricey. That's all I know of. Yelp is a noisy and unreliable way to find specific menu items in the way I am. It tends to turn up a lot of restaurants that don't actually serve what your are after, plus retail markets. So I turn to human expertise, such as yours.

19. daguerre

daguerre Wyndmersian

Thanks for these, Londoner. Do you know any oystering spots outside of Center City? Out my way, there's Paris Bistro in Chestnut Hill, but they are pricey. That's all I know of. Yelp is a noisy and unreliable way to find specific menu items in the way I am. It tends to turn up a lot of restaurants that don't actually serve what your are after, plus retail markets. So I turn to human expertise, such as yours.

20. daguerre

daguerre Wyndmersian

Hmmm, can't find how to delete my double-post. A little help here?

21. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

The delete function doesn't exist on this particular iteration of the board.

22. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

I believe you can Edit the post leaving it essentially blank.

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  23. daguerre

daguerre Wyndmersian

You cannot, I tried.

24. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

I know after a while the edit option disappears. But certainly I've edited after a day .