No time for Collusion - We Are The CHAMPIONS of the World - Philadelphia Eagles

Discussion in 'National' started by Phillyxpat, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Politburo

Politburo Well-Known Member

The wink to Kavanaugh probably sounded more clever in your head. Since you believed those accusations were false, what are you actually saying here?

It's not just rhetoric. It is a lie that you're participating in.

Similarly, you are fully aware that the lie is raising his actions to 'collaboration', as if he was some active plotter instead to a teenager trying to survive a war.

Elliott87 and enyo like this.
  2. Politburo

Politburo Well-Known Member

That's not an argument.

Obviously there are places where people support Trump - some of them overwhelmingly. There are also non-Philly places where people do not support him - some of them overwhelmingly. Neither place holds a claim to be the 'real' America.

The best tool we have to gauge the overall sentiment of the country is opinion polling. Trump's poll numbers - all of them - have been negative for nearly the whole presidency. I will not have the wool pulled over my eyes that I - or Philly - is some kind of outlier in their opposition to Trump.

3. Templeton

Templeton Well-Known Member

IMO, what makes Trump different is two things:

1. All of those alleged violent rhetorical statements were one-offs and
    2. Not directed at anyone

If Bernie had a habit of slandering and demonizing Scalise, like Trump does, and one of his supporters shot Scalise, then he would be culpable in some sense.

Trump on the other hand <i>constantly</i> demagogues his "enemies" by name. The bombers targets are a one to one match from Trumps hit list, for example. Not a coincidence.

Again, on the right, the Jews (not just Soros) are funding an invasion of America through this (s)caravan. The synagogue the shooter targeted is affiliated with a group that was just demonized. Trump attacks on Soros and the Caravan fit right in, and gives legitimacy to any kook who already was prone to violence, the term I would use is incitement.

enyo likes this.
  4. enyo

enyo Well-Known Member

Interesting. I found a clip. I think it's worth noting, as Politburo notes, that he was 14 years old. Collaborator sounds like a low blow for a 14 year old trying to survive

My thoughts exactly. Its apples and oranges to compare Trump's behavior to anyone else for the simple fact that he constantly targets people and he beats a dead horse. I mean, how many times do we have to hear about Elizabeth Warren's ethnicity or how the media is the enemy of the people? He can't even issue a strong condemnation after horrible violence. Commenting about baseball after Saturday's shooting was incredibly poor taste.

5. enyo

enyo Well-Known Member

This is a disturbing read.

Inside the Online Cesspool of Anti-Semitism That Housed Robert Bowers

I think it is worth noting that this conspiracy crap that seems to spawn on social media gets picked up by the mainstream republicans and spreads like a wildfire without any regard to whether its even true or not. Several instances of conservatives, serving up the idea that Soros might be funding the Caravan, probably in the hopes that it gained traction. Not too disimilar from the Pizza Gate conspiracy or the conspiracy that David Hogg is a child crisis actor. Also worth noting that Trump's allegations strike a strong similarity in tone and language to Bower's gab comments. Maybe it's a reach to say Trump's partially responsible, but he sure does try to fan the flames.

"In the right-wing fever swamps, where the president’s every word is worshipped, commenters began amplifying Trump’s exhortations with new details. Representative Matt Gaetz of Florida wondered whether George Soros—the wealthy Jewish philanthropist whom Trump and several members of the U.S. Senate blamed for the protests against Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, and who was recently targeted with a bomb—was behind the migrant caravan. NRATV, the propaganda organ of the National Rifle Association, linked two Republican obsessions, voter fraud and immigration. Chuck Holton told NRATV’s viewers that Soros was sending the caravan to the United States so the migrants could vote: “It’s telling that a bevy of left-wing groups are partnering with a Hungarian-born billionaire and the Venezuelan government to try to influence the 2018 midterms by sending Honduran migrants north in the thousands.” On CNN, the conservative commentator Matt Schlapp pointedly asked the anchor Alisyn Camerota, “Who’s paying for the caravan? Alisyn, who’s paying for the caravan?,” before later answering his own question: “Because of the liberal judges and other people that intercede, including George Soros, we have too much chaos at our southern border.” On Laura Ingraham’s Fox News show, one guest said, “These individuals are not immigrants—these are people that are invading our country,” as another guest asserted they were seeking “the destruction of American society and culture.”

Trump's Caravan Hysteria Sparked a Massacre - The Atlantic

wollstonecraft likes this.
  6. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

I guess we'll find out in 8 days

7. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

Christopher Columbus blvd in Philly long overdue to be renamed back to Delaware Ave.

CC a proven historical genocidal criminal.

This also to wonder How American Thanksgiving is not a day of prayer and petition to help end and now remember how uncivil we once were to each other as a nation - sound familiar - in the bloody Civil War as in Abraham Lincoln, how it became a celebration of candy-ass Mayflower Wall Street types mooching a turkey dinner off the Local First Nation People types. Should have refused them service at the door - no soul no compassion and no respect (only greed) for the land.

Have a nice day. We are having pork on thursday btw, Cooking a turkey sucks. :)

8. Tartan69

I have lived in Philly for 12 years and have yet to meet anyone who calls it CC Blvd. Same with MLK drive and City Ave.

Phillyxpat likes this.
  9. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

10. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

GOP Cookiecutter Men - When Did GOP Super-hero Joe The Plumber Morph Into Joe the AG ?

[​IMG]

Templeton likes this.
  11. Tartan69

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Phillyxpat and Jayfar like this.
  12. ODragon

ODragon Well-Known Member

What do you call them?

North of BFB it is Delaware Ave, south, it is Columbus.

We call City Ave, City Line but I don't remember why.

All of these were learned when we got here, mostly from MapBlast 20 years ago!

13. Tartan69

I learned from locals. Del Ave, West River Drive, City Line

14. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

I admired Bush 41 for putting together the coalition to push Saddam Hussein out of Kuwait. I also thought his not going into Iraq was something that stood by the rule of law and diplomatic finesse that was unequaled in recent world history. The pack of jackels that on spec no doubt would have wanted an immediate invasion of Iraq in 1991. It was his son who led that consortium to empty out the warehouses of military hardware ready for continued war and profits on January 20, 2001.

The jackels within the GOP have taken over. The 23% who challenged Bush 41 through Pat Buchanan in the Republic Primaries did not wrestle control of the party from Bush 41. The 23% aka later as the Tea Party and now "Freedom" Caucus and or "Trump's Dump" in terms of party loyalty to the main jackel who these days I think lives in Moscow.

MSNBC mentions Buchanan but nobody mentions Ross Perot and his greedy hissy fit or was it a family feud with the Bushes that led to the split in the presidential vote in 1992 with Perot getting 18% and the closet Republican as I perceived him, Bill Clinton, winning with 43% of the vote and the right number of Electoral College Dregs' votes.

The split in the GOP should have spun off into a permanent third party and not stay lodged like a cancer on the main body of the GOP like today.

I agree that George H.W. Bush was of the old school, education, military and public service, the likes of such we do not see anymore.

Not quite sure is the real sales pitch behind all this dead emperor worship in the media for what used to be a standard cookiecutter cloth coated Republican politician. The thing reminds me of one of those Roman Catholic commercials about "coming home". Whatever.

RIP Bush 41, you belong now to history.

#134 Phillyxpat, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  15. Tartan69

Bush 41 was as old-line establishment R as they come. He would have invaded Iraq had he a better argument to present to the public for doing so. W was indeed the vehicle for which those neo-cons got their wish, but you can bet it was with daddy's ecstatic approval.

His type is one of several reasons for why populists and libertarian types like Perot and the Pauls and Trump exist in politics. Unfortunately for all of us, our winner-take-all non-coalition system is not conducive to a real third party.

Phillyxpat likes this.
  16. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

This government missed all sorts of opportunities when the so called cold war ended. Could not stand down an armed force of half a century and get national health etc. Could not wait to start the next war.