No time for Collusion - We Are The CHAMPIONS of the World - Philadelphia Eagles

Discussion in 'National' started by Phillyxpat, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Politburo

Politburo Well-Known Member

The wink to Kavanaugh probably sounded more clever in your head. Since you believed those accusations were false, what are you actually saying here?

It's not just rhetoric. It is a lie that you're participating in.

Similarly, you are fully aware that the lie is raising his actions to 'collaboration', as if he was some active plotter instead to a teenager trying to survive a war.

Elliott87 and enyo like this.
  2. Politburo

Politburo Well-Known Member

That's not an argument.

Obviously there are places where people support Trump - some of them overwhelmingly. There are also non-Philly places where people do not support him - some of them overwhelmingly. Neither place holds a claim to be the 'real' America.

The best tool we have to gauge the overall sentiment of the country is opinion polling. Trump's poll numbers - all of them - have been negative for nearly the whole presidency. I will not have the wool pulled over my eyes that I - or Philly - is some kind of outlier in their opposition to Trump.

3. Templeton

Templeton Well-Known Member

IMO, what makes Trump different is two things:

1. All of those alleged violent rhetorical statements were one-offs and
    2. Not directed at anyone

If Bernie had a habit of slandering and demonizing Scalise, like Trump does, and one of his supporters shot Scalise, then he would be culpable in some sense.

Trump on the other hand <i>constantly</i> demagogues his "enemies" by name. The bombers targets are a one to one match from Trumps hit list, for example. Not a coincidence.

Again, on the right, the Jews (not just Soros) are funding an invasion of America through this (s)caravan. The synagogue the shooter targeted is affiliated with a group that was just demonized. Trump attacks on Soros and the Caravan fit right in, and gives legitimacy to any kook who already was prone to violence, the term I would use is incitement.

enyo likes this.
  4. enyo

enyo Well-Known Member

Interesting. I found a clip. I think it's worth noting, as Politburo notes, that he was 14 years old. Collaborator sounds like a low blow for a 14 year old trying to survive

My thoughts exactly. Its apples and oranges to compare Trump's behavior to anyone else for the simple fact that he constantly targets people and he beats a dead horse. I mean, how many times do we have to hear about Elizabeth Warren's ethnicity or how the media is the enemy of the people? He can't even issue a strong condemnation after horrible violence. Commenting about baseball after Saturday's shooting was incredibly poor taste.

5. enyo

enyo Well-Known Member

This is a disturbing read.

Inside the Online Cesspool of Anti-Semitism That Housed Robert Bowers

I think it is worth noting that this conspiracy crap that seems to spawn on social media gets picked up by the mainstream republicans and spreads like a wildfire without any regard to whether its even true or not. Several instances of conservatives, serving up the idea that Soros might be funding the Caravan, probably in the hopes that it gained traction. Not too disimilar from the Pizza Gate conspiracy or the conspiracy that David Hogg is a child crisis actor. Also worth noting that Trump's allegations strike a strong similarity in tone and language to Bower's gab comments. Maybe it's a reach to say Trump's partially responsible, but he sure does try to fan the flames.

"In the right-wing fever swamps, where the president’s every word is worshipped, commenters began amplifying Trump’s exhortations with new details. Representative Matt Gaetz of Florida wondered whether George Soros—the wealthy Jewish philanthropist whom Trump and several members of the U.S. Senate blamed for the protests against Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, and who was recently targeted with a bomb—was behind the migrant caravan. NRATV, the propaganda organ of the National Rifle Association, linked two Republican obsessions, voter fraud and immigration. Chuck Holton told NRATV’s viewers that Soros was sending the caravan to the United States so the migrants could vote: “It’s telling that a bevy of left-wing groups are partnering with a Hungarian-born billionaire and the Venezuelan government to try to influence the 2018 midterms by sending Honduran migrants north in the thousands.” On CNN, the conservative commentator Matt Schlapp pointedly asked the anchor Alisyn Camerota, “Who’s paying for the caravan? Alisyn, who’s paying for the caravan?,” before later answering his own question: “Because of the liberal judges and other people that intercede, including George Soros, we have too much chaos at our southern border.” On Laura Ingraham’s Fox News show, one guest said, “These individuals are not immigrants—these are people that are invading our country,” as another guest asserted they were seeking “the destruction of American society and culture.”

Trump's Caravan Hysteria Sparked a Massacre - The Atlantic

6. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

I guess we'll find out in 8 days