No sidewalk trees in front of the new Whole Foods?

Discussion in 'Fairmount / Spring Garden / Francisville' started by Phillyurban8, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Phillyurban8

Phillyurban8 Well-Known Member

Seems like a lost opportunity given how verdant the Rodin museum grounds are. Does anyone know why they only opted to locate trees on the pool level?

fiveomar likes this.
  2. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

Have to agree with you. Street trees are (as they should be) a given with any new construction.

Tartan69 and eldondre like this.
  3. Phillyurban8

Phillyurban8 Well-Known Member

Looks like there will be trees in raised planters, if the builders remain true to the renderings.

fiveomar likes this.
  4. MNG1324

MNG1324 Well-Known Member

I know the Whole Foods is great and it replaced a craphole Best Western which had a Dallas Cowboys bar in it.

But this development is too auto centric and quite frankly fugly.

DocAwesome and eldondre like this.
  5. funk

funk Well-Known Member

choke on your words, bad mouthing the bar at the best western.

DocAwesome likes this.
  6. DocAwesome

DocAwesome The Doctor is In

When I moved to CityView some 11 years ago that was the first bar I went to. B&W. Hung out with with some couple who must have been going there daily for a thousand years, and bullshitted with the super crass and super friendly bartender. I knew then that I'd love living in that neighborhood.

Things change, man.

7. londoner

londoner Well-Known Member

Back to the OP's question - did they ever install sidewalk/street trees in planters at this site?

8. DocAwesome

DocAwesome The Doctor is In

No as of last Friday, anyways. There was a backhoe or some similar construction vehicle in the median of Penn Av, but I've not seen any signs of new foliage. I remember a planter friend of mine telling me about the pros of planting trees in the winter but I can't remember what they were. I personally think it is better to plant in early spring, maybe they are of the same mind.

Or maybe they don't care about Penn Av. Which I think is more likely. It used to be such a neat space.

9. Big Irish

Big Irish Well-Known Member

I drove by yesterday. No planters. The backhoe is for the street excavation (new water lines?) that's been ongoing.

As an aside, I drive by there a few late nights a week and I've seen a few cars now come out of that garage exit on Hamilton and make the left turn into oncoming traffic heading toward 21st St. I don't know if they don't understand it's right turn only or they just decide it's late and they're going to take a shortcut. I had 2 near misses in the last month.

fiveomar likes this.
  10. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

Yeah, hoping someone puts pressure on them or asks where the heck the street trees are.

Spring Garden CDC, be useful for once. They spend their efforts fighting against nice rollup garage doors at OCF Cafe but then let the stuff that they should be focusing on slip through.

11. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

The building really needs the relief of street trees.

fiveomar likes this.
  12. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very oldĀ®

I'm pretty sure tree planting needs to be done in either spring or fall for maximum survivability.

Yep, google sez: "The best time to plant trees is in early spring, though in the fall is fine, too. In any case, avoid planting just as trees are breaking bud and putting on soft new growth. Container stock can be planted all season but it also is most risky at budbreak. If you plant in the fall, do so no later than mid-October."

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  13. Frejo

Frejo Well-Known Member

Although I agree with your statement about the SGCDC, WF is not within their jurisdiction. Their "turf" is the North side of Spring Garden St to the South side of Fairmount, West side of Broad St to the river.

fiveomar likes this.
  14. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

I think that's correct which would put WF in the Logan Square section.

15. niel

niel PB transplant

Seems like the store management has decided to ditch using that entrance altogether, as far as I can see, which is probably a good thing given how chaotic the garage can get at peak times.

16. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

As per usual, the really relevant point is ignored.