New places on Passyunk

Discussion in 'South Philadelphia' started by Not New, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Litter Box

Litter Box Well-Known Member

The two lovers were still there this morning.

2. Oladybug

Oladybug Philaphile

The King of Jeans sign is now off the building and outta here.

3. gijyun

gijyun Well-Known Member

4. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

5. Litter Box

About a block from Passyunk but close enough for government work. The sign on the closed Beneficial Savings Bank read that it has been rented, anyone know what is planned for the location ?

6. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Passyunk Post noted that it's been leased, but they don't yet know either for what.

http://www.passyunkpost.com/2015/10...up-for-vacant-bank-space-at-broad-and-snyder/

It was sold over 2 years ago:

http://www.passyunkpost.com/2013/06...ank-at-broad-and-snyder-who-wants-to-rent-it/

7. Litter Box

I'm at a loss as to what would go in there but at least the hobos will not be at the entrance. FWIW I read that the long closed Rite Aid on about the 1800 block of E Passyunk Ave has also been rented but like the Bank no word on who or what rented it.

8. hubba1

hubba1 THIS is a Newbold...

The old Rite Aid has been open for about 3 months now as one of those "escape the room" places, called Escape the 80's

9. DocAwesome

DocAwesome The Doctor is In

So I know this isn't about the election, nor about our wonderful councilpeople, so please forgive me for deviating from our regularly scheduled programming.
    Had a nice stroll down E Passyunk and saw more goings on and construction than I was expecting. Here's a nice little summary of some of the changes in the last couple of months.

A>>The King Of Jeans location which has for a few months been a bit of a hole in the ground had crews bringing in the steelwork.
    [​IMG]

B>>Right next door the new A Man's Image {Clothing store} is going in, has much of the shelving installed already.

C>>Speaking of A Man's Image, the original location has been gutted for a month and they are digging into the ground within the structure. This will be the new Barcelona Wine Bar. It is an upscale chain that seems to have great reviews. This location has the potential to be special.

[​IMG]

Let's see how a chain fares around here, hopefully better than the pseudo-chain Palladino's on Pynk/Broad which shut down a couple months ago due to some fun drama.

D>>And speaking of wine, Vin Cafe just south of Mifflin has established itself there, whose owners are just fantastic to talk to while imbibing. Bring your own cheese if you want, wine tasting for 5 bucks. That was a good time. I think they have been open since August.

E>>Capogiro is getting some competition a half block southwest - Roly Cow Thai Ice Cream is being built in there for an opening late this month supposedly. They were hard at work building the place up. Sign went in today. Just in time for the cold weather! Seems gimmicky to me, but the wife loves that stuff. It is near Cantina and Bing Bing (of which has a new mural) so I imagine they will be basically printing money there if it takes.

F>> Right on the Singing Fountain Triangle, Perla {Modern Filipino food} - this place is now in full swing. Went, it was tasty. Wish them success. Small, well curated menu.

G>> South across the street from that is where Rival Brothers is setting up their new outpost. It's been taking a while, but saw some movement there as well.

Some other movement on the Avenue - Jade Garden shut down and was replaced by a "Fresh Seafood" store that opened this week. Fried seafood type of thing.
    Manatawny Still Works is still planning on opening a tasting room "next" to the new Rival Brothers, which last I heard was to open this month (though I've not heard anything recently)
    Fabric Horse is preparing to shut down their storefront.
    South Fellini opened up their storefront (Philadelphia themed knick knacks) next to the Pope in the last month or so and seem to be doing well.

Some other minor residential developments popped up as well - there was a lot more going on than I had expected!

Hospitalitygirl, Insoluble and Jayfar like this.
  10. Sean

Sean Well-Known Member

I'll add that Avenue Cheese Shop has closed recently, as far as I know no tenant has been found for their old spot yet.

I'm glad to hear that the old king of jeans is showing life. It's been dormant for some time.

11. Sean

Sean Well-Known Member

An independent bookstore "A Novel Idea on Passyunk" is coming to 1726 E. Passyunk Avenue. Opening is set for Dec 1st. They are trying to focus on local and regional writers which is pretty cool.

Jayfar likes this.
  12. Sean

Sean Well-Known Member

All four Capogiro stores to close Sunday, including ours on Passyunk. This is really sad news, they had some really good flavors which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I have to believe that there is more to this story than fire damage to one location.

13. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

When you're mortgaged to the hilt, it only takes one little thing to be askew in order to knock down the whole house of cards.